2.5 gigapixel image

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Taco Pope
Youngling

2.5 gigapixel image

Post by Taco Pope »

http://www.tpd.tno.nl/Pics/DII/gigazoom/Delft2.htm

Zoom in on the tower in the distance. You can tell the time.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Wow. I can clearly see the text on the license plates of some of those cars.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Something must be wrong, it gets totatlly blurry after 1 click of zoom.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Flakin
Jedi Knight

Post by Flakin »

Good grief, imagine the game of Wheres Waldo you could have with this......

Thats impressive.
EBC: Mississippi Division Sleeper Unit "The Sad Weimaraners".
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Ace Pace wrote:Something must be wrong, it gets totatlly blurry after 1 click of zoom.
wait for it to load
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

holeee shite that's impressive. now i almost want to get a camera that can support that much pixelage
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

That's incredible. You can look out and see everything in detail. Even the buildings way out on the horizon are clearly visible after some zooming.

EDIT: Wow, I can spot a CBS building WAAAY out on the farthest reaches of the picture. This is really something.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Holy damn Satan! People can be seen crossing a bridge all the way back of the picture!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

OMFG!

Wonder how much that lens costs? In the many milijons I think.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Question, who took the pic? An uni in town or what?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

To bad it is a fake... :(

Found this

The end of the big road in the middle of the pic.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Ory'hara
Redshirt

Post by Ory'hara »

It's a composite picture. I doubt they were paying attention to making sure that nothing was moving inbetween frames. You can see a couple places where there's an edge that doesn't match up.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Faram wrote:To bad it is a fake... :(
Yes, and no. The picture was made by stitching together hundreds of individual pictures and then doing some optimizations. Someone kinda goofed.

From the company page:
The approach

The 2.5 gigapixel image is a composition of images rather than a single image. TNO developed a sophisticated approach to merge the many images - all 600 of them. The photos were taken automatically using a modern consumer camera and a powerful 400 mm lens. The camera was positioned automatically using a computer-controlled pan-tilt unit. Each of the 600 photos overlaps, an arrangement that ensured very accurate positioning and enabled us to stitch the images automatically into one giant image of 78,797 by 31,565 pixels. The most difficult tasks were processing these large images and comparing the overlapping images.
Long 'exposure time'

All 600 photos were taken over a period of 1 hour and 15 minutes. Taking a single photo and moving the camera to a new position took approximately seven seconds. Thanks to the long 'exposure time', some interesting artefacts are visible at the edges of the various photos. They include a parked car that seems to merge into a bus and a walking torso.

After the photographic session, considerable effort was required to calculate the final result. It took about 24 hours to compare the overlapping photos and optimise them. Stitching the photos into one image required the capacity of 5 high-end pcs for three full days.

The final result allows the viewer to zoom in on the city of Delft and its surroundings at a resolution never seen before.

More details about the approach.
edit: to get that picture in one shot is impossible unless you're the CIA or NASA. The camera lens would have to be several feet in diameter and the film negative or CCD would be about the size of a sheet of typing paper. The camera would weigh several tons and cost millions of dollars.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Now lets find some one it their house...
d(-_-)b
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Lt. Dan wrote:Now lets find some one it their house...
Yeah, there's gotta be a naked chick somewhere in that picture. :D
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

My favorite artifact is the ghost at the crosswalk. If you look at the end of the big grey building on the right hand side you'll see him.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

to get that picture in one shot is impossible unless you're the CIA or NASA. The camera lens would have to be several feet in diameter and the film negative or CCD would be about the size of a sheet of typing paper. The camera would weigh several tons and cost millions of dollars.
Yeah, I wonder how this camera compares.
The Great and Malignant
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I like there's a car halfway down the big road that has hit a light pole.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Sriad wrote:My favorite artifact is the ghost at the crosswalk. If you look at the end of the big grey building on the right hand side you'll see him.
Are you talking about that floating torso beside the round blue bicycle sign?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*blinks* Definitely an image that will take a whiel to get bored with...
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Mayabird wrote:
Sriad wrote:My favorite artifact is the ghost at the crosswalk. If you look at the end of the big grey building on the right hand side you'll see him.
Are you talking about that floating torso beside the round blue bicycle sign?
Yea, that one.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

For some reason the blue shirted bicyclist, on the left side of the road on the right side at the bottom, looks like he's got some sort of lobster claw for a head.
Cool picture any way.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

aerius wrote:
Lt. Dan wrote:Now lets find some one it their house...
Yeah, there's gotta be a naked chick somewhere in that picture. :D
Yup, that's what I was thinking. :D
d(-_-)b
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Ok guys you can't just say by the grey building and the blue bicycle sign... I can't find this floating torso and I've seen at least three blue bicycle signs, and of course there are a lot of grey buildings in this pic.

And I'm gonna be much more careful while undressing in my own house if there is this shit going on, and people like you looking all day for a chance at seeing a naked chic in her house. :P :lol:
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

aerius wrote:
Faram wrote:To bad it is a fake... :(
Yes, and no. The picture was made by stitching together hundreds of individual pictures and then doing some optimizations. Someone kinda goofed.
It's pretty cool, but not that impressive. I notice when I zoom in, there's at least 3 or more "levels" of resolution, so it's basically a big jpg for the entire thing at not-so-high res, and as you get closer it loads the "next worst" picture of that section, so your computer doesn't have to get it all at the same time.