AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Nope. There's no other common (read most people will see it correctly in their browser of choice) format that supports transparency and has a small filesize. Though he could use JPG or something with the pansy method of using the same background color as the board.
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

darthdavid wrote:Nope. There's no other common (read most people will see it correctly in their browser of choice) format that supports transparency and has a small filesize. Though he could use JPG or something with the pansy method of using the same background color as the board.
And that would suck since those who like to have another style for the forum, see this dark blue background on the avatar... hehe.
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

I was under the impression that for the major browsers, only IE had trouble with PNG with 8-bit transparencies, not regular binary-type. (Confirmed when I decided to view this thread in IE. There's both an example of PNG-24 color/8 bit trans in darthdavid's post and PNG 8-bit/binary transparency in mine. The 32-bit pic in IE was the only problem, viewing from Opera, Firefox, and IE.)
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
Marksist
Jedi Knight

Post by Marksist »

I appreciate the help everyone has given me so far with this. For now, I'm using the one Tsyroc made until I can get mine below 6KB trying the methods everyone suggested. I tryed GIF, but, it makes me "export" it when I save it with GIMP, and it loses the background transparency for some reason when I do that.

EDIT: Nevermind, I finally figured it out! Success! Thanks a lot for introducing me to this software, and all the tips and suggestions from everyone, was very helpful. Going to try this with my sig next.
-Chris Marks
Justice League
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

I quite like Gimp. Use it almost daily for just little things here and there. I am pretty sure david and I could help you out in case you run into some problems somehwere down the track. :)
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wombat, my blog
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

darthdavid wrote:Nope. There's no other common (read most people will see it correctly in their browser of choice) format that supports transparency and has a small filesize. Though he could use JPG or something with the pansy method of using the same background color as the board.
Actually, the TIFF file format supports 8-bit alpha channels with JPEG compression, if I remember correctly. But I've never tried viewing such a TIFF in a web browser, nor do I think that the board supports TIFF for avatars anyway.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Durandal wrote:Actually, the TIFF file format supports 8-bit alpha channels with JPEG compression, if I remember correctly. But I've never tried viewing such a TIFF in a web browser, nor do I think that the board supports TIFF for avatars anyway.
TIFFs are pretty big, though.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

My browser has no problem with tiffs, mind you, I use Konqueor - something most of you (apart from david) have probably never heard of... :|

[+] Wombat, my blog
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Actually a fair portion of this board uses linux so atleast a few have probably heard of Konqueror if in no other way then by browsing their heard drive on kde. :)
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

darthdavid wrote:Actually a fair portion of this board uses linux so atleast a few have probably heard of Konqueror if in no other way then by browsing their heard drive on kde. :)
New to me. Cool. Know any usernames? :P

[+] Wombat, my blog
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Not at 4 in the morning, no. :lol: I'll take the fact that I can't remember the names of those whome I've corresponded with numerous times about various linux problems/general computer isssues/whatevar as a que for sleep. So that in mind, i bid you all adieu.