Who are the resident Band Geeks...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Joe wrote:
I have been playing the trumpet for about three years now and I am nowhere as good as I should be.
You never will be, quite frankly. It doesn't matter how good you really are, it doesn't matter how many people want to hear you play; to your own ears, every single note that comes out of that horn is going to be shit. That's how it was for me, anyway.
Trumpet is hard because everyone hears every single note you play, and with each one you can either nail it or miss it, so you sort of live and die with each note that comes out of your horn. Only naturally talented musicians who are also unbelievable perfectionists can truly master the trumpet, and even the professionals sometime biff notes. I've gone to symphony orchestra concerts and counted the number of missed attacks, pitches and cracked notes the trumpet players (as a section) played, and it was surprising to me that I found as many as I did. It's a hard instrument to play exceedingly well.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman