Do Cover Bands = Fanfics writers?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Do Cover Bands = Fanfics writers?

Post by Stravo »

I've been listening to a guy on the radio talking about cover bands, There was alot of laughing about how much creativity can possibly go into being a cover band. It got me thinking. Are Fanfic writers and cover bands very alike? I would propose that fanfic writers are actually more creative in the sense that we play in someone else's universe but we write our own stories in them while a cover band aspires to sound and sing exactly like the original artist.

Or is there really no difference in terms of overall creativity?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

That analogy is a difficult sell. Cover bands are merely replay another band's song with perhaps a different style. There's nothing they do (or could do) that could be analogous to fan fiction writing. The closest thing I could think of would be a band taking an existing song, extracting certain meaning, themes and storytelling from it, and perhaps expand on those things in a different song.

Fanfic writers are a lot like programmers. Programmers usually develop within the confines of someone else's frameworks. People like Microsoft and Apple give developers a set of APIs to write their programs with. Some developers, through header inspection, get access to non-public APIs. They would be analogous to fanfic writers who write for a universe whose creator gets grumpy about them doing so.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

So we're more like Video game modders? :D
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Durandal wrote:That analogy is a difficult sell. Cover bands are merely replay another band's song with perhaps a different style. There's nothing they do (or could do) that could be analogous to fan fiction writing. The closest thing I could think of would be a band taking an existing song, extracting certain meaning, themes and storytelling from it, and perhaps expand on those things in a different song.
I recommend you look at Richard Cheese's Louge Against the Machine. It takes effort to confort any form of music into a lounge song.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Stravo wrote:So we're more like Video game modders? :D
I'd say that's a fair comparison.

Personally, I like covers that are done in the band that's covering it's style, rather than attempting to be as close to the original as possible. Like apocalyptica's cover of all those metallica songs, or domination by pantera, one of the funniest covers I've heard is "Material Girl" by Exhumed, who are an extensively gross goregrind metal band. It sounds like they're being sick when they're singing it.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'd say fanfic writers are completely different from cover bands. The only notable similarity they have in my mind is that 99% are dull or flat-out suck and 1% are a thousand million billion times more glorious than the original. I'd have to agree with the video game modders comparison, however.

And just for the hell of it, I'm going to say right now that fanfiction is a cool hobby. :D
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Singular Quartet wrote:
Durandal wrote:That analogy is a difficult sell. Cover bands are merely replay another band's song with perhaps a different style. There's nothing they do (or could do) that could be analogous to fan fiction writing. The closest thing I could think of would be a band taking an existing song, extracting certain meaning, themes and storytelling from it, and perhaps expand on those things in a different song.
I recommend you look at Richard Cheese's Louge Against the Machine. It takes effort to confort any form of music into a lounge song.
I've heard and love Richard Cheese's stuff. But it's merely replaying the same song in a different style. I never said that cover bands weren't creative; I just described what they do.
Stravo wrote:So we're more like Video game modders?
Exactly.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Cover bands, to me, are like the second cast of a major broadway show... if you couldn't catch the original, or couldn't afford it, it's an option for those that still want to experience the music performed live.
The Great and Malignant
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

SPOOFE wrote:Cover bands, to me, are like the second cast of a major broadway show... if you couldn't catch the original, or couldn't afford it, it's an option for those that still want to experience the music performed live.
Well some bands have done some excellent covers. Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page," for example, I think is better than the original.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies baby! Best cover band ever.

\m/>_<\m/
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.