Legos+Free Time=This Thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Legos+Free Time=This Thread

Post by TimothyC »

I'm not all that great with Star Wars ships, and I know these stink, but I thought I'd post these and get some opinions on how to make them better:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Well, if you have the legos for it, just scale up. There's only so much you can do with something that small. They're really not so bad looking for that scale.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Alan Bolte wrote:Well, if you have the legos for it, just scale up. There's only so much you can do with something that small. They're really not so bad looking for that scale.
Thanks. I'll see what I can do over the weekend. I've tried going bigger before, but I keep running into structrual issues. :(
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Alan Bolte wrote:Well, if you have the legos for it, just scale up. There's only so much you can do with something that small. They're really not so bad looking for that scale.
Size Matters Not !

Those four links prove you can do a lot with a little. It's just a matter of how you use it and how you position the studs.

Marius, those are really cool. Better than I could do with limited brickage. Very Star Destroyer-esque (though it must have been a bitch for the Imperial Starfleet to get a few square miles of paint on them ;) ). The "Oreo" ones have a cool colour scheme.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

That color scheme seems a little too festive on one of those for the Imperial Navy's liking. :)

Seriously though, nice job. Let it never be said that LEGOs are not the be-all end-all of artistic expression.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

MRDOD wrote:
Size Matters Not !

Those four links prove you can do a lot with a little. It's just a matter of how you use it and how you position the studs.

Marius, those are really cool. Better than I could do with limited brickage. Very Star Destroyer-esque (though it must have been a bitch for the Imperial Starfleet to get a few square miles of paint on them ;) ). The "Oreo" ones have a cool colour scheme.
Thank you again, but I can't see the links for one reason or another. My eventual goal was to make an All-White one, so that might get done this weekend. Please keep the critiques comming!

And to be honest I really don't have all that limited brickage, it's just I don't havve a lot black and white flat peices.
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

Nice, I wasted away many hours when I was a kid making star trek ships out of legos.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

This is something that I've been meaning to ask for a while, slight hijack in the process I'm afraid, but isn't lego usable as the plural? A model made out of lego, for example?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lego is actually a brand name, but I suppose colloquially the plural would be legos. That's always how I've referred to it.

Oh yeah! That reminds me. I found this excellent site a while ago. Really brought me back to the old days :)

+http://www.hccamsterdam.nl/brick/theme/index.htm

That's right, scans of the instructions for every Lego set. Really handy when you lose the physical copies :cool:
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Dalton wrote:Lego is actually a brand name, but I suppose colloquially the plural would be legos. That's always how I've referred to it.

Oh yeah! That reminds me. I found this excellent site a while ago. Really brought me back to the old days :)

That's right, scans of the instructions for every Lego set. Really handy when you lose the physical copies :cool:
You know, I just asked for that in another thread... You're, like, psychic or, like, something, Dalton.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Singular Quartet wrote:You know, I just asked for that in another thread... You're, like, psychic or, like, something, Dalton.
Actually, that link is what inspired me to create that other thread. I was about to rebuild my Mega Core Magnetizer and realized I had a digicam :)
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dalton wrote:Lego is actually a brand name, but I suppose colloquially the plural would be legos. That's always how I've referred to it.

Whoo hoo!

Anyway, I mostly had some bastardized LEGO creations. Like my sailing ship with the World's Smallest Nuclear Reactor (have the size of a man!), a really small and cramped (but fully enclosed!) bridge (once you were in, you could never get out. I don't think I had a door for that one), and on top of it a "turbolaser" turret that could fight a man and spin 360 (though the "door" was really something that's supposed to be used as a cargo panel, so he was kinda trapped too). And to top it all off, a landing bay with a top door that could fit a one man fighter that looked like a really cheap knock-off of the A-wing fighter.

All of this on a former Police boat (because I still had that sticker on the back). Oh, and it could actually float in my bathtub!

Ah, those were the days...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I showed these images on another forum, including one image that had a lego Fed-ship. I got a request for more images so after putting them up on imageshack I'd show them off here as well.

And now for my D7 Model (Quite bad, but remember that all of these ships are in one piece at the same time ;) ).

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I should see if my F-22 lego scale model is still intact next time I go home, spent a day doing it, and it looks damn good in the end... I must have more LEGO!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I need to get back into Lego construction. It's been ages since I built anything. The last one I can remember is the Mars Rover set, the small one with accompanying Delta II and Mars Odyssey.

Here are some older projects, one dismantled:

Image 1. Executor model built to the same scale as the Micro Machines ISD.

Image 2. I've had this in one form or another since 1995. It even had retractable landing gear at one point.

I have a shitload of other sets in storage. My biggest is the Launch and Load Seaport, an old Town set.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

The multi-colored Lego Executor above inspired me to go dig out one of mine:

This is an alternate model for the Mini ImpStar that Lego sells. I'm pretty sure it uses all the pieces and it's pretty accurate for a set of bricks meant to built something else. The bridge is a little too small and some of the "cityscape" pips are too tall, but when hundreds of meters are represented by a single 1x1 plate it's hard to get it right.

Pic One
Pic Two

It's also very "swoosh"able, since it's pretty much flat. It's about 1:90,000 Scale (!).