Do you look down on music that makes it to radio?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Re: Do you look down on music that makes it to radio?

Post by Durandal »

Zaia wrote:Just wondering if we've got any anti-radio folks out there. I personally find people who say that all music on the radio sucks to be rather obnoxious, especially the ones who immediately dismiss any music you might suggest to them when they find out it was played on the radio once or twice. Because, goodness knows, if anyone knows about it, it must be crap!

So what's your take?
From a technical standpoint, radio music sucks. The asshole recording studios compress the range of the music until everything right up to the fade-out is just loud as fuck. Because, obviously, the louder something is, the more likely it'll stick in your memory, and thus the more likely you'll want to hear it again. :roll:
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Stravo wrote:Frankly I'm usually completely unaware of music unless it is on the Radio. I don't feel like taking a chance on an album of someone that I never heard of before.
MP3 is your friend, as are the good music stores that let you listen through a CD before you buy it. Some bookstores and music shops in my city have tons of listening stations with a wide selection CDs, and I think there's a Futureshop or BestBuy that has a jukebox machine where you can listen to any album that the store sells.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

I only listen to one radio station for music and that is WERS, the Emmerson College radio station. They've got everything from jazz to reggae. A damn fine station if I ever heard one.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: Do you look down on music that makes it to radio?

Post by aerius »

Durandal wrote:From a technical standpoint, radio music sucks. The asshole recording studios compress the range of the music until everything right up to the fade-out is just loud as fuck. Because, obviously, the louder something is, the more likely it'll stick in your memory, and thus the more likely you'll want to hear it again. :roll:
And if the recording studios don't do it, the radio stations will. Every single radio station in my city except the classical and jazz stations run all their broadcasts through dynamic compressors. Even when the album is good to begin with (most classic rock recordings) it sounds like crap by the time it gets sent out on the airwaves. Pisses the hell out of me, especially since I have high fidelity equipment and can hear all the distortions and clipped signal peaks.

If the trend continues I'm soon going to be at the point where I check the mastering credits on every single CD I plan to buy.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Hey, we play only the best randomly generated song-lists on our show. At our station there is an ENORMOUS catalogue and the ONLY songs that get preferential play, are from the 5 albums a fortnight that are voted "Edge Radio Recommended" by the listening community. And even then, preferential play means that they still abide by the rules of the station. Songs by the same artist CANNOT be played less than an hour apart (unless part of a special), and even then, a "less than 24 hours" advisory comes up. The same song SHOULD NOT be played more than once every 24 hours.

And anyone who wants to have their music played needs only provide a CD of them/their band and a signed letter saying we can play their music. It is then checked to make sure its playable and if it is, it goes into rotation.

And on our show, when we want something truly special, we do game soundtracks - the show before us have started doing this too, with the entirity of the Lucas Arts adventure games soundtracks on CD, not to mention awesome mixes of classic arcade and console tunes.