My Little Sculpture (56K Warning) Number Two!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It was intended to be a light hearted joke. But I get your point, I'll shut up.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I just noticed its now 4 new pictures.

In the first it(what is it?) looks playful, the rest look abit more 'natural', looking abit angry.

How did you make the top part of the shoes by the way?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Anyway, how many days does it take you to make those things? I mean, if it were me I'd have gone insane after screwing up a tiny feature and spending weeks trying to fix it and do corrections and stuff. And with a toothpick?! How big's the thing, anyway? Sculpting something big wouldn't be as insanely hard as sculpting something small, right?
Thank you very much! These take one day apiece. It's a full day, usually from when I wake up (2 pm or something) to about 4 in the morning. When I move to a larger scale (soon, I'm hoping) it will take longer, because, as you see, I'm a detail lover. :P

As for you, Ace, how do you mean the tops? You mean the tops as it looks as a sculpture, or the 'top' of a shoe as in what we'd think of as the top of a----... I'll just answer both. The foot shape is sculpted, then attached like any other part, but without the heel. You bend it to fit where it needs to go, then add the heel, and carve out where the band would be (there's usually a bend at the beginning of the ball of the foot because shoes of this type anyway are often worn out there.) I ended up coming back after baking it to slice a bit off with an exacto knife, too, for the necessary smoothness. As for underneath where there are wrinkles in the material, I do that by rolling and pressing the clay with a toothpick until I get what I want :D.

Thanks so much everybody! I've been unusually busy these last few days, but I'm planning to have another sculpture up tomorrow. From now on, though, I might post a reference image of the character from its canon source for reference.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Cool. The clothes with all the folds are great.

I think the wings could use some more detail.
They look unfinished when compared with the sheer amount of detail the rest has.
And like AJ remarked the hand on the ground looks a bit weird.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Day-ammm!! Very nice. The face is a little too muddled in my opinion. Hard to make out the eyes and the nose seems a little rounded.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Getting the drape of fabric was always one of the most difficult things for me to get a convincing look for when I scuplted, Pick; I'm extremely impressed.

I wouldn't say that unless I meant it 100%, either.

For constructive criticism, you could possibly add more facial detail, but as it is it conveys a stylistic convention all your own. A nifty style, at that.
It most certainly does not suffer from a lack of anything.

It's great work, you should be all warm and tingly inside with satisfaction. :D
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Pick wrote:Thank you very much! These take one day apiece. It's a full day, usually from when I wake up (2 pm or something) to about 4 in the morning. When I move to a larger scale (soon, I'm hoping) it will take longer, because, as you see, I'm a detail lover. :P
Honestly, from the pics, I would've thought it taken you like weeks of careful yet obsessive sculpting. Damn, woman, you've got skills!

Hey, how big's the sculpture? Couldja take a pic with something, like a pen, beside it? For reference, you know.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hey, how big's the sculpture? Couldja take a pic with something, like a pen, beside it? For reference, you know.
Our camera's a little tied up at the moment (AKA I can't find it right now :oops:) but when I do, I'll see if I can -- thouh it's still about 7-8 inches long :wink:

And thank yuo very much, Hipper, I appreciate that! The folds were very difficult.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

That looks like excellent sculpture. Most impressive if you are only using a garlic masher and a toothpick rather than shaping tools. Sculpey is great stuff, and that is excellent detail for using Sculpey (I usually scuplt with Plastiline, but you can't bake that).

However, I think you could make the wings a bit more solid looking by using some thinish guage aperature wire to build the solid parts of the wing around. That would make them seem like they've got some structure to them, rather than kind of floppy clay wings.

Also, there are places, like the spiked arm pieces, that the piece seems fused to the body. You can very delicately make a very very shallow groove there at the boundary to imply an "underneath" to the bracer parts, because you want them to seem over top of the body, not part of it. You can do the same thing between the fingers to make it seem like they are seperate units.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Now, for #2, the character for which I chose my almost-random messageboard name :P

Because measurements aren't good enough for you guys, that's right next to an American $1 bill.

Being weird because I didn't think this one would make it (I smooshed the last two of him I tried even though they were almost done)

This one broke into 8 (!) pieces in the oven, which by the time it came out, were not the shapes they were originally, so he's currently baking in severe alteration due to rebuilding (both arms broke off, the torso snapped, one horn broke off, the ribbon broke, and the back of his coat, which was the worst...) I'll post new pics of it once it comes out. I think in some ways it's better, but the pose got sent to wackyland. My armature wasn't good enough, sooo... oy! But anywho! Thanks everybody for your helpful advice, words, and comments! :luv: Sorry this is later than I thought it'd be :oops:
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

That looks really cool - any chance of a head-on shot?
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Uraniun235 wrote:That looks really cool - any chance of a head-on shot?
:D I'll take more pictures once the new version's out, though it looks pretty different.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

The angle makes the legs look a little long. But I think that it's just the angle.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

A garlic masher (what the hell is that?) and a toothpick?! That's magic!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!