Red-eye shenanigans: digital

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Red-eye shenanigans: digital

Post by Stark »

So how does a talentless art-n00b go about removing redeye from a digital pic?

As an aside, I thought redeye happened when you looked into the flash, but the image I want to clean up I'm not even looking toward the camera.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Redeye occurs when the lens captures the reflection of the flash from the back of the retina. The easiest way to remove it, at least for me, is to select the affected area and desaturate the reds.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

If you don't mind buying some extry equipment, see if you can get an external flash. Setting the flash far away from the lens helps reduce the redeye effect.

If this isn't an option, many basic photo-editing suites nowadays have an automatic redeye removal feature. If your camera came with any software, read through the manual (if you got one) and look for "Photo Fixing" or some similar chapter.
The Great and Malignant
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh I'm pretty sure this image was taken with a POS disposable chemical camera at a party. I just want to reduce the 'confused satan' aspect of the image. Thanks for your suggestions! :)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If you ask me, Red Eye looks pretty cool. There was this pic with me, when I was a kid, holding my dad's MP5, and I had red-eye. I looked like the fucking Terminator, junior size and with a submachine gun instead of a shotgun! It was awesome!

Neway, I guess you could use photoshop and match the true color of your eyes, and paint over the red stuff. And resize your pic to a small size, as to make the photoshopping less obvious. But that would end up sucking, specially if you didn't resize it. But since I'm a buffoon, that's all the advice I can offer since...yeah.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

You have several options. There are freeware red eye removals that work semi-ok; try a Google search. You can also try a freeware digital photo suite like FxFoto that has a red eye removal feature.

Your second choice is to download a photoshop like program like the GIMP and folllow a tutorial on removing red eye from your photos. This will take longer than the automatic programs but the results are usually better. As Dalton mentioned, the basic process is to select the iris area (using a fuzzy select tool) and then bringing down the red color significantly and boosting the green slightly. The tricker part is masking the selection so that you select as much of the iris as possible. You will probably have to play around with the levels as well to get a result you like.

See here and here for some walkthroughs using GIMP (which is free to download).