3D Modeling Program Recommendations

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

3D Modeling Program Recommendations

Post by Dangermouse »

So I have browsed through the stickified Graphics Resources thread above and have tried/struggled with a few of the programs like Blender. I would like to use a program that allows me to draw a 3-D box and various 3D cones. I would like to be able to place the cones anywhere in the scene and rotate them about at least one axis. Ideally, these rotations would be entered in terms of degrees rather than requiring me to judge the rotation by eye. Yes, my scene requirements are that embarrasingly simple. :oops:

What program would you wonderful SDN artists recommend? I am used to Photoshop and have found it hard so far to make the transition to a program like Blender. Ease of use or hold my hand and walk me through the program slowly tutorials are highly desirable features. We got off on the wrong foot and now Blender makes my head spin a little! Bad Blender Bad! I have lived too long in the 2D world I guess.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Erm, hit the n-key in blender to type degrees?

Autocad could do it easily, but is overkill.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Pu-239 wrote:Erm, hit the n-key in blender to type degrees?

Thanks! I will test out that feature.

I guess I could give it another try and spend more time walking though examples. Do you have any recommendations for easy to follow how to sites? Blender was not very nice to me during our first day together.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Blender is probably the best, since it's free. Try looking for a better tutorial.

There are plenty of other programs out there, but there's no real point in paying for something when you'll never take advantage of its benefits.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Dangermouse wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:Erm, hit the n-key in blender to type degrees?

Thanks! I will test out that feature.

I guess I could give it another try and spend more time walking though examples. Do you have any recommendations for easy to follow how to sites? Blender was not very nice to me during our first day together.
Blender3d.org
http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Hmmm, if your requirements are that simple, then probably Blender would be fine.

You'll be rendering?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

You can also try Autodesks gmax and Alias Maya PLE which are free.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

salm wrote:You can also try Autodesks gmax and Alias Maya PLE which are free.
Have these changed lately? If not, they probably wouldn't be the best idea. Gmax has the rendering part removed, so he'll be stuck taking viewport screenshots. And Maya PLE leaves huge ugly watermarks covering the entire image, unless they've removed that "feature" recently.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

lPeregrine wrote:
salm wrote:You can also try Autodesks gmax and Alias Maya PLE which are free.
Have these changed lately? If not, they probably wouldn't be the best idea. Gmax has the rendering part removed, so he'll be stuck taking viewport screenshots. And Maya PLE leaves huge ugly watermarks covering the entire image, unless they've removed that "feature" recently.
Gmax doesn´t have an own renderer but you can download a plugin "gmax render suite" and render images.
Guy N. Cognito
Padawan Learner

Post by Guy N. Cognito »

Maya(From alias) has a free download,
XSI (from softimage) has a free trial
Lightwave (not recommened it's dying)
3DS Max, Has a free trial
Zbrush you have to buy, it's free trial doesn' let you really save work. (Grrr....)
There are more, but the ones with links have free trials.
"Though there are only 5 colours, in combination, they can create more hues then can ever be seen" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

If Gmax can ultimately render well, then I'd recommend that over Blender.
What's her bust size!?

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

There's also Wings3d < http://www.wings3d.org >.

Then again, his requirements aren't really that much, and Blender is a pretty lightweight program w/ low sysreqs.

Blender works pretty well for what I do, my main problem is that I am still using a TNT2 graphics card. It's main problem is that many operations can only be done via keyboard shortcuts.

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Shinova wrote:If Gmax can ultimately render well, then I'd recommend that over Blender.
Doesn't Gmax save to it's own proprietary file format nothing else can read?

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Pu-239 wrote:
Shinova wrote:If Gmax can ultimately render well, then I'd recommend that over Blender.

A lot of 3D programs save to proprietary file formats. If you're talking about exporting and importing, that's a different story.

But considering dangermouse's needs, it's not a problem.
What's her bust size!?

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pu-239 wrote:
Gmax is a game development tool. It can export files to 3ds and other formats which is necessary to, well, be a reasonable game development tool.

Also note that the Gmax user interface is pretty much the same as the 3DS Max UI, so if you learn Gmax you learn how to use a professional 3D program at the same time.