Looking for a really emotional instrumental song

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

RogueIce
_______

Looking for a really emotional instrumental song

Post by RogueIce »

Please allow me to set the scene for you.

A man, betrayed and left for dead by his partner and lover of nine years. He rises back up to seek his revenge, and along the way gains new allies and enemies. Yet his path is filled with treachery; his and others. He has been betrayed and almost killed numerous times; he has betrayed and assasinated people who believed him to be allies himself.

Along the way he met a woman. Although technically responsible for one of the more recent attempts on his life, he nonetheless is beginning to see some light, and she is it. But before these feelings can fully manifest themselves, she is kidnapped by none other than his original lover.

He gains his revenge, frees his new almost-love and kills the woman who started him down this path of treachery and death. Now, as he walks away with this new woman, the last remaining allies he thought he had arrive, and seemingly kill the woman he's coming to love. Leaving him with nothing but her cold, dead body, her blood on his hands, and vengeance upon all who betrayed him.

Or, for those who've played Grand Theft Auto III, imagine Claude starting to fall for Maria, yet right after he rescues her in "The Exchange" the Yakuza pull up and a sniper's bullet kills Maria.

Basically I'm looking for an instrumental song for that last moment, where she dies. Not some emo-y "rock" song, but instrumental. A movie/TV/game/etc soundtrack, something from an opera, a classical composer, or even an original composition will do. But it's gotta be non-lyrical (synthesized music can count too).

If there's a download of it or you can e-mail me that'd be great, but failing that at least enough information so I can find it myself.

As a start, I was considering "Hello Beastie" from the PotC 2 soundtrack, but I was also looking for something more than that as well.

All help greatly appreciated!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Cliche: Adagio for Strings.

Almost-as-cliche: the funeral march from Beethoven's Eroica Symphony (it's about halfway through the second movement).

Also, I hear that Bruch's second violin concerto (in b-flat minor, IIRC) is good for this sort of thing, but I don't knwo where to find a recording of it.

EDIT: There's an awesome song from Evangelion which, I think, would fit this nicely, but I'll be damned if I can find it or remember its name. Thanatos or something like that -- it starts with a piano playing repeated chords, then a cello kicks in.
Last edited by Surlethe on 2006-08-02 12:11am, edited 1 time in total.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Holst's suite in e flat would work, except for the fact that it has a triumphant ending.

Maybe the guy gets more revenge at the end?

EDIT:OOh... just thought of one

Corsican Litany. Of course, finding a recording of it might be kinda hard. There are some bad ones online...
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I always liked Elgar's "Cello Concerto" 1st movement. It starts off really slow and soft and builds into this great melodramatic burst. I have an Mp3 of it but I'm unsure of the legality of sending it.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

The theme song from "Requiem for a Dream" comes to mind...
but I've been hearing it a lot in internet videos lately, so it may be a bit overdone.

I don't know the proper name, but it's listed as "Bach - Organ Fugue in G minor" on my playlist, it could work.

Another possibility is "Romance" by Apocalyptica (that's probably borderline rock/emo-y though)
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I've always liked the piano music played at the menu screen of the Black Hawk Down DVD. Might be right up your ally.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Everloving by Moby.
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Durandal wrote:I've always liked the piano music played at the menu screen of the Black Hawk Down DVD. Might be right up your ally.
Part of "Leave No Man Behind." (Hans Zimmer IIRC) Definitely instrumental and definitely emotional, so perhaps worth at least looking into.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The last guitar solo of "November Rain" by Guns n' Roses.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

"I Will Never Love Again" by Mark Knopfler, off the soundtrack to The Princess Bride. Both appropriate (in my opinion) and non-cliché. Might be too slow tempo-wise, though; I don't know.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dunno how late this is in responding, but Fuyu no Yousei from Fate/Stay Night seems to be exactly what you're looking for as far as instrumentals go. Rather emotional and somber, designed to get across the impression of someone experiencing profound loss. Uploaded the mp3 of it to my webspace since otherwise you'll be a bit hard pressed to find a copy of it anywhere. (As the album is available as an import only).
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Hymn by a goug called Bond. It was on their First CD 'Born'
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Thanks Zod, that's a good song. To those who proposed Movement 2 of the Eroica symphony, thanks as well. I'll have to check out the rest of them too.

One thing I forgot to mention above: it should be full of profound loss and loneliness, but also with a hinting of anger in it as well, if possible.

Since we all know Claude will have his revenge...

Again, I want to thank you all for your suggestions. Found some good pieces out of it, and I'm sure I'll find more as I look up the other suggestions.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

RogueIce wrote:One thing I forgot to mention above: it should be full of profound loss and loneliness, but also with a hinting of anger in it as well, if possible.

Since we all know Claude will have his revenge...
Consider the begining of the second movement of Beethoven's 3rd.

Available for listening here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5456722

Begins around 17:50. I would end around 20:05.
President Sharky
Jedi Knight

Post by President Sharky »

The funeral march from Gustav Mahler's 5th Symphony is quite atmospheric and it conveys a sense of both sadness and bitter anger. I highly recommend it. It's the first movement that is the funeral march, and there are numerous parts of it that you could use for what you want.