How to get a digital copy of a painting?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stark
Emperor's Hand

How to get a digital copy of a painting?

Post by Stark »

I've bought this nifty painting I quite like. I'd like a scan (or something) of it, but I've no idea how to go about it. It's got quite a bit of texture, so taking a photo of it would result in shadows from the paint everywhere. Similarly I'm not sure if scanning it would work. Are there professionals who do this sort of thing?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I´m not quite sure how to do that professonally but you could light it from all directions, so that you don´t have any shadows and then take a photo.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There are large-sized scanners available for such purposes, I believe. Mind you, they make a HUGE image-- into the tens or hundreds of MB, easily. However, you might be able to find some at a university that's got an art school; ask around. Otherwise taking a photo will be your best option; use a tripod!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Woot, I'm banging an art student. You might ask why I didn't just ask her... but... I got nothing. Art school suggestion = the win, thanks. :)

EDIT - Shit, that's right. I electrocuted my phone and have lost the last six months of phone numbers. BAH.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Stark wrote:Woot, I'm banging an art student. You might ask why I didn't just ask her... but... I got nothing. Art school suggestion = the win, thanks. :)

EDIT - Shit, that's right. I electrocuted my phone and have lost the last six months of phone numbers. BAH.
If you're already shagging her, IM her or find her and ask. :P She'd be the one to know, or she should know someone who can do what you need...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.