Am I the only one who thinks Gnarls Barkley is a joke?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Am I the only one who thinks Gnarls Barkley is a joke?

Post by Superman »

Seriously. What's up with this shit? This is some of the worst music I've heard... and that's saying something. Then they name themselves after some NBA player???
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

No, you're not. I wouldn't put in the worst-I've-ever-heard genre, but I definitely never need to hear it again.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Re: Am I the only one who thinks Gnarls Barkley is a joke?

Post by Jim Raynor »

Superman wrote:Seriously. What's up with this shit? This is some of the worst music I've heard... and that's saying something. Then they name themselves after some NBA player???
According to Wikipedia ( :roll: ) they're not named after the basketball player (yeah, sure they aren't).

I only saw them once, when they played a song at some MTV award show. They came in dressed as Star Wars characters and I thought they would play something fun. Then I was shocked by some of the most boring crap music I've ever heard.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I think you're craaaaazzzzzzzayyyyyyyyyyy.

I don't mind it if I'm in the right mood.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Vympel wrote:I think you're craaaaazzzzzzzayyyyyyyyyyy.

Gnarls Barkley are brilliant. Necromancer just goes to show that.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I never heard of them before a little while ago, but i do like them.

At first i thought they were just some emo band, because the words in their songs had no meaning or point (a common, if not prerequisite, trait of emo songs is that the words are 'deep' which means they have no point and ramble/whine aimlessly--see Linkin Park, My Chemical Romamce, et al).

But after i heard the song in full i realized, they were just fucking around for the fun of it and doing some kind of neo-reggae/pop blend stuff. Now i like them. :)
Kanye West Saves.

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

weemadando wrote:
Vympel wrote:I think you're craaaaazzzzzzzayyyyyyyyyyy.

Gnarls Barkley are brilliant. Necromancer just goes to show that.
I dunno, man. They seem like more of a novelty act.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

They have a good sound, from what I've heard of them.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The brains behind the group is also one of those behind the Gorillaz last album as well. It certainly shows. In a good way. :wink:

Whenever they appeared on ToTP as the airline crew doing Crazy, my family were always more amused by the drummer attempting to keep the hat on his afro.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

As long as they're not minimalist wannabes like the Black Eyed Peas.
Hate.

On topic though, wasn't one of Charles Barkley's sticks respect of all things? Gnarls Barkley, what a joke, though honestly, I'm not familiar with his music.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Dartzap wrote:The brains behind the group is also one of those behind the Gorillaz last album as well. It certainly shows. In a good way. :wink:
Hahahaha. No.

Danger Mouse only produced the album.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I like their sound. I also like BP's "my humps" just because it's so fucking weird and funny. I'm weird like that. I know I should hate it really.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Dartzap wrote:The brains behind the group is also one of those behind the Gorillaz last album as well. It certainly shows. In a good way. :wink:
Hahahaha. No.

I'm pretty sure that Danger Mouse is one half of this group, with Cee-Lo.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Hahahaha. No.

Of the Gorillaz? No.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:At first i thought they were just some emo band, because the words in their songs had no meaning or point (a common, if not prerequisite, trait of emo songs is that the words are 'deep' which means they have no point and ramble/whine aimlessly--see Linkin Park, My Chemical Romamce, et al).
How do you get emo from just the lyrics? The music should sound like a completely different genre. Their more moody songs would be classified as "neo-soul", after all. Their non-moody stuff- it's a weird hodge-podge, but it should be nowhere close to emo.

Additionally: genius.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I like them. I don't know why, they are nothing like any of the bands and groups I usually like.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Battlehymn Republic wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:At first i thought they were just some emo band, because the words in their songs had no meaning or point (a common, if not prerequisite, trait of emo songs is that the words are 'deep' which means they have no point and ramble/whine aimlessly--see Linkin Park, My Chemical Romamce, et al).
How do you get emo from just the lyrics? The music should sound like a completely different genre. Their more moody songs would be classified as "neo-soul", after all. Their non-moody stuff- it's a weird hodge-podge, but it should be nowhere close to emo.
My guess is that 18 isn't fully aware that the emo music genre really branches off of hardcore punk and indie rock.

Nevermind that Linkin' Park (nu metal) and My Chemical Romance (alternative rock) aren't emo, either...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote: Hahahaha. No.

Of the Gorillaz? No.
One half of this group, the one around whom the thread was made.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Battlehymn Republic wrote:
My guess is that 18 isn't fully aware that the emo music genre really branches off of hardcore punk and indie rock.

Nevermind that Linkin' Park (nu metal) and My Chemical Romance (alternative rock) aren't emo, either...
The Black Parade is Emo
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Master of Cards wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Battlehymn Republic wrote: How do you get emo from just the lyrics? The music should sound like a completely different genre. Their more moody songs would be classified as "neo-soul", after all. Their non-moody stuff- it's a weird hodge-podge, but it should be nowhere close to emo.

The Black Parade is Emo
Hahahahaha- no. No, it's not.

You seem to be confusing "emo" as in "emo goth kid" with "emo music", which is a subgenre of punk or hardcore rock.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

MCR probably should be emo. Linkin Park has a lot of the same sentiment that is expressed in emo, but they're nu-metal/early '00's rap-rock.