VAST concert, live and...blurry. [56k death]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

VAST concert, live and...blurry. [56k death]

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to go see VAST (Video Audio Sensory Theatre) live in concert. The venue was rather small, but they are by far my favourite band in the history of everything, so I basically was willing to go through hell and high water to see them.

They aren't the best-known band because they absolutely refuse to do any work under any major record labels. They ended up forming their own label, and make all their music available for insanely cheap download, and absolutely free copying/recording/dissemination. Their main focus is making music cheap, with none of the copyright-protection bullshit that's going on with the RIAA.

And even if that weren't the case, the fact is their music is simply ungodly beautiful. <shameless plug>There are tons of free samples at their website.</shameless plug>

Anyways, pics (because otherwise it didn't happen)

...Point 1, one of the opening bands, and pretty damn awesome themselves, a nice mix of hard metal and indie.

...VAST in action. Unfortunately, flash photography wasn't allowed because they like their eyesight.

...My friend Red gets some snuggle-shots with the lead guitarrist.

...Okay, I'm six feet, two inches tall. I'm the guy on the right, standing straight. The lead singer of Point 1 was taaaaaaaaaall.

Rhi, Red, Nica, and I get to get a shot with all of Point 1.

In the end, I got a songlist autographed by the whole band, all four of Point 1's cds for a total of twenty dollars, and a guitar pick with John Crosby's (the lead singer of VAST) initials on them.

I ended up giving the guitar-pick to my room-mate Emmu, as she missed the show, and hanging the songlist on my wall.

In the end, I much prefer shows with much smaller venues. And while it sometimes seems horribly pretentious to only go after lesser-known bands...the fact is it is so much easier to meet them and hang out with them after the show.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Oh man, you lucky bastard. What did they play?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

I'm going to "me-too" here, as VAST is one of my favorite bands, for pretty much the reasons you described from your OP.

Did they play music from all their (his, since VAST is Jon Crosby's baby) albums, or mostly the newer stuff?
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Ford Prefect wrote:Oh man, you lucky bastard. What did they play?
A few from the new April album, the only ones whose names I can remember are 'Satin Sheets' and 'Tattoo on my Soul'.

Let's see, they also played....

Video Audio Sensory Theatre:
Here
Touched
Pretty When You Cry
Flames
Temptation
Three Doors

Music For People:
The Last One Alive
Free
I Don't Have Anything
Blue
My TV And You

Nude:
Turquoise
Thrown Away
Winter In My Heart
Desert Garden

Turquoise and Crimson:
Falling From The Sky
Woke Up In L.A.
I'll Never Be So Cold

There was also a point where the violinist's amp broke, and so while they were doing repairs on that, Crosby did a few requests, and we got to here Dead Angels, You Are So Beautiful, and Land Of Shame.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

They played Touched. Still my favourite VAST song.

*weeps openly*
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.