Power Armor Model Suggestions (NSF 56K)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Power Armor Model Suggestions (NSF 56K)

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Ok, here's my in-progress Armored Fighting Suit Mk. I, from the SF3D/Maschinen Krieger Zbv 3000 universe, as kitted by Nitto in 1/20th scale.

I don't like the look of the kit-supplied hand on the right arm, so I'd like some suggestions on replacing it. It looks almost comically large. That being said, what would be better? The smaller blue hand part as seen in the last picture (cookie if you can tell me what kit it's from)? Or a claw-type gripper, something like the one on the right (in the last pic)?

I don't care about the SF3D storyline, I'm just trying to make this thing look reasonably plausible as a standard infantry-type unit. What would be more useful? Hand or gripper-type? If it's a hand, would 5-digits be best? Or something with more or less digits? Should they be symmetrically arrayed, or look just like a human hand? The operator's hands seem to be located just about halfway down the suit's forearms and presumably there are controls there to work the weapon and single hand, complete with some sort of tactile feedback system or some other thing. Perhaps it's more intuitive for the pilot to use a robotic hand that mimics a human one? If I make a "claw" or a different hand it will be scratch-built.

The twin launcher-type things on the back are just white glue-tacked in place, but I'm not going to keep them on the finished model. I don't like the look of them and they will be tricky to fill and clean up anyhow. I'll probably replace them with a smoke grenade-type launcher on one side and an antenna on the other. All of the hip and shoulder armor pieces will stay. I just tacked on the left side parts for the pictures.

The leg hoses are going to go. They shouldn't be spread out so far to the sides, but either way they seem like nothing but a magnet for snagging on things as the unit walks around. I'm going to probably reroute the outside leg hoses to the inside of the leg, next to the ones that are already there. Same for the arm cables; as cool as it may look, it makes no sense to have all of that stuff exposed. There's also supposed to be 4 similar cables I left off, going from the back of the feet to the lower legs, but it looks asinine and I'm going to fill in the holes there.

What else might be good to add or change? The main weapon is going to stay, but I did add a sighting system (from a surplus 1/144th scale F-14 part) device on the gun arm. I'm also thinking of adding some kind of rearward-facing camera. I'm thinking that the structure on top of the helmet would be a good place for a light. I might also put a smaller light on the end of the gun arm, next to the weapon. Anything to disguise the fact that it's clearly a SLR camera! ;) Maybe a wire-cutter on one of the arms as well.

The helmet is removable, and the pilot's going to get a face mask and some hoses. There will be a tinted transparent part on the helmet. I just left off that part because of the camera flash.

Suggestions?

(Edit: removed duplicate picture)
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Make it a claw. What's a powersuit without a powerclaw?

Or you could always make it a chainsaw hand. But then he wouldn't have a manipulator limb.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Hawkwings wrote:Make it a claw. What's a powersuit without a powerclaw?

Or you could always make it a chainsaw hand. But then he wouldn't have a manipulator limb.
Yeah, it's gotta have a hand/claw. Otherwise I'd just give him a giant hammer. ;) Smashy-smashy!
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

If it's possible, I'd replace the gun with something...better-looking. I dunno...that one looks kinda weird with that square plate and quite plain-looking barrel.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:If it's possible, I'd replace the gun with something...better-looking. I dunno...that one looks kinda weird with that square plate and quite plain-looking barrel.
That "gun" is actually a single lens reflex camera which I suspect was a copied part from an old figure set. These Nitto kits have detail parts that are clearly taken (or scaled up or down from) other kits, such as tank engine decks, ammunition magazines, landing gear struts and the like. There is even a Probe Droid-type kit which uses a tiny rendition of the ascent stage of the Apollo Lunar Lander and the front bank of an aircraft's radial engine as part of the kit's structure.

But you're right, it is weird looking and I may well replace it.
Stark wrote:Works for Samus? :)
I even have a spare female head I could use with this kit! :)