JibJab's Star Spangled Banner

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

JibJab's Star Spangled Banner

Post by Broomstick »

This will either make you laugh or piss you off:

Click here and it should start playing

Done in time for the 4th of July holiday - this shows a couple of features that may or may not be unique to the US (I'll let those aboard decide that).

1) The continual re-invention of a tune that a Caruso or Pavarotti would probably have trouble singing properly. We're trying to find a way mere mortals can actually sing the damn anthem.

2) We don't seem to have a problem making our leaders look goofy. Granted, in many instances this takes little effort anyway.

3) I bet more people from outside the US can name all the presidents who appear in this video than US citizens can (though it might be a near thing, given that the Americans on SD.net tend to be better educated than average). Even so, I wonder if anyone else is willing to hazard a guess at who all these presidents are.

For extra credit: As we all know, the current President Bush is closely related to another presidet Bush. Name the other two pairs of closely (at least cousin) related presidents sharing a last name. (Two of the three pairs appear in the JibJab video)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: JibJab's Star Spangled Banner

Post by phongn »

Broomstick wrote:1) The continual re-invention of a tune that a Caruso or Pavarotti would probably have trouble singing properly. We're trying to find a way mere mortals can actually sing the damn anthem.
Well, it was written to the tune of a drinking song :P
3) I bet more people from outside the US can name all the presidents who appear in this video than US citizens can (though it might be a near thing, given that the Americans on SD.net tend to be better educated than average). Even so, I wonder if anyone else is willing to hazard a guess at who all these presidents are.
T. Roosevelt
F. Roosevelt
Truman
Eisenhower
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
G. H. W. Bush
Clinton
G. W. Bush
For extra credit: As we all know, the current President Bush is closely related to another presidet Bush. Name the other two pairs of closely (at least cousin) related presidents sharing a last name. (Two of the three pairs appear in the JibJab video)
Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt
John and John Quincy Adams.
:P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

phongn wrote:
Broomstick wrote:1) The continual re-invention of a tune that a Caruso or Pavarotti would probably have trouble singing properly. We're trying to find a way mere mortals can actually sing the damn anthem.
Yes. It's an excellent illustration of how fucking smashed Englishmen can get and still remain concious.

Next extra credit question: Original name of the tune of the Star Spangled Banner.
T. Roosevelt
F. Roosevelt
Truman
Eisenhower
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
G. H. W. Bush
Clinton
G. W. Bush
You missed one.

Granted, he only appears briefly, and I had to double check against some other pictures, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't another clip of the first Roosevelt.

Kind of surprised they didn't squeeze in every president since Teddy Roosevelt, but I don't think they did.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Broomstick wrote:
phongn wrote:
Yes. It's an excellent illustration of how fucking smashed Englishmen can get and still remain concious.

Next extra credit question: Original name of the tune of the Star Spangled Banner.
T. Roosevelt
F. Roosevelt
Truman
Eisenhower
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
G. H. W. Bush
Clinton
G. W. Bush
You missed one.

Granted, he only appears briefly, and I had to double check against some other pictures, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't another clip of the first Roosevelt.

Kind of surprised they didn't squeeze in every president since Teddy Roosevelt, but I don't think they did.
Taft was in there, right?
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Broomstick wrote:
phongn wrote:

"To Anacreon in Heaven"
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Taft was in there, right?
Correct!

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Beowulf wrote:
"To Anacreon in Heaven"
Also correct!

You guys are good.

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Broomstick wrote:
Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Taft was in there, right?
Correct!
Haha! Smarter than the average teenager. :P
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!