How to draw water in.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Inara
Redshirt

How to draw water in.

Post by Inara »

Hokay, so... I'm starting to explore my artistic abilities... and would really like to know how I should go about adding water to this drawing I have in the works.

See, that empty-ish space SHOULD be a stream-ish thing... but... I'm not sure how to make my rivers/streams more realistic vs. childish and fake.
Any suggestions?
Inara
Redshirt

Post by Inara »

....Nobody can help? Nobody? Really?

-wonders if she titled it poorly-
- The "Ambassador"
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

best bet is to reference some pictures. When you do get around with drawing it, adding the individual crests with a light pencil first would probably help before you start shading in highlights and shadows. The fun starts when you actually have to break up those highlights because of the way water moves. Also, do you have any water flowing rapidly over protruding rocks or a drop off. That means mist and foam.

YAY! FOAM!
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

How real do you want it to look?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Inara
Redshirt

Post by Inara »

About as real as the trees look.
- The "Ambassador"
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Mist and foam, as Tasoth suggested, as well as some motion lines to suggest movement and depth.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Can we have a bigger image? Maybe 550-600px in width? It'll help us determine better how to advise you.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Draw some horizontal lines near the top at where you want the river bank to be, draw the trees with horizontal waviness depending on how wavy the water is, or, if that's a waterfall, which is what it looks like, essentially draw a curtain of clouds folding out of the surface. Best bet is to get some reference pictures and copy.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'd first correct my perspective and draw those rocks as being smaller the further they are away :).
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Pick wrote:I'd first correct my perspective and draw those rocks as being smaller the further they are away :).
Pick, she speaketh the truth. Before you can work on the water you have to get the rock sizes correct. The progression of the rock sizes based on perspective can also dictate the point-of-view angle of the picture, which will help us figure out how to draw the waves and foam sizes on the river.

Apart from the small strokes further and large strokes closer rule for water, you might also draw heavier strokes for the reflection of the pine trees in the water.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Okay, here goes. Now assuming my reproduction is close to your original work:

1. First sorry about 4 instead of 5 trees. Just me being lazy.

2. I'm not really sure what this is. I reproduced it as a boulder.

3. The rocks. Notice that the foreground rocks are generally larger than the background rocks.

4. The waves. I just scribbled curves to represent ripples in water. Notice that generally the ones further off are smaller and thinner, and closer waves are bigger and thicker lines. You'll have to study how different illustrators do water effects and go with the one that you're comfortable with.

5. Notice also that in the water are thicker lines that form the reflection of the four trees. The calmer the water, the more defined the tree reflections. Not this one though, the water is quite rough here.

Hope that helps.
Inara
Redshirt

Post by Inara »

Thanks. Wow. That really helps. I'll definitely work on those rocks... I wasn't really trying very hard there... but I'll work on it a bit more. Also, this is what I've done so far...
(It's larger, as per request of Old Plympto)
P.S. That largish rock thing is supposed to be a boulder. >.>
- The "Ambassador"