The Star Spangled Banner (and other national anthems)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

The Star Spangled Banner (and other national anthems)

Post by Hawkwings »

Brought up from this topic...

What is up with some truly awful singers being allowed to sing the US national anthem? See video here. Does any other country in the world allow such bad singers to slaughter their national anthem at major sporting events, political rallies, etc?
Last edited by Hawkwings on 2008-01-11 10:09am, edited 1 time in total.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

Every "artist" who sings it decides that they need to "jazz it up" with their fucking vibratto or ad lib or "I've created a whole new key" or rock impresario powers.

There have been a few awesome covers of anthems (mainly the Eastern European ones by various metal groups), but for the most part its horrible, mind-warping shit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It doesn't help that the vocal range required is at the limit or beyond the range of many pop singers.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm going to go on record and, as much as it pains me to do so, say that I've always thought that Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the anthem was god awful noise.

It's not the electric guitar. I love electric guitar. There's a cover of the Russian anthem out there set to an aggressive, thrash-like rhythm that's fucking awesome. But then they also sung the anthem musically and faithfully so that it was still clearly the original work, except with a legitimate musical variation.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The only version I have ever heard of our national anthem that was anywhere close to being better than just "OK" was Whitney Houston at the Super Bowl in, I think, 1990, and it was fucking awesome.

Hendrix's version would have been better if it were shorter.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I'm a firm believer in just having a band (marching band or the like) come in and play the anthem without any singing. Because they always fuck it up.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

It's generally best when hardly anyone knows the words to the National Anthem - that way all versions sound vaguely good, apart from the truly horrific versions.

I honestly don't know the words to GSTQ. Other than the whole crushing rebellious Scotsmen it doesn't sound particularly good.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What's funny with our Anthem is when people try to sing the OTHER part of it. That is just a nationally televised accident waiting to happen. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The bit where everyone just generally goes "Mmmm, mmmm...mmm..hmm...mmmm! Mmmmm, mmmmm! Hrummmmm...."? :)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dartzap wrote:The bit where everyone just generally goes "Mmmm, mmmm...mmm..hmm...mmmm! Mmmmm, mmmmm! Hrummmmm...."? :)
:lol: That's the one.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

You mean like the 2nd and third verses?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
pieman3141
Youngling

Post by pieman3141 »

Canada does it poorly too. Ours, being shorter, has more concentrated awfulness to it if it's done badly. The dude singing at Vancouver Canucks games is pretty alright, though.

I don't believe I've ever heard the Chinese (PRC) anthem sung live, ever. It's just the instrumentals.

I don't think I've ever heard a bad rendition of the Soviet anthem, either. Damn those commie countries, attempting to make their anthems sound good consistently!
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Here in Aus most of the lyrics truly are mmmm hhmmmmm dmmm mmmm hmm mmm and if you actually sing the words to any verses past the first one people think you're a nutter...

Saying that... where most people would say the words need changing some at one of the comedy festivals they put the words to other music and came up with a working class anthem.. sounds pretty good actually..

Doesn't Spain have an anthem with no words? solves the crappy singer problem easily.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Star Spangled Banner (and other national anthems)

Post by white_rabbit »

Hawkwings wrote:Brought up from this topic...

What is up with some truly awful singers being allowed to sing the US national anthem? See video here. Does any other country in the world allow such bad singers to slaughter their national anthem at major sporting events, political rallies, etc?
That can't be real, surely thats some sort of piss-take add-on to that video, otherwise I'm really impressed none of the candidates burst out laughing.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

pieman3141 wrote:I don't believe I've ever heard the Chinese (PRC) anthem sung live, ever. It's just the instrumentals.

I don't think I've ever heard a bad rendition of the Soviet anthem, either. Damn those commie countries, attempting to make their anthems sound good consistently!
The PRC anthem is sung. In fact, I sang it when I attended school (briefly) in China. It's probably not sung at any sporting events or such.
white_rabbit wrote:That can't be real, surely thats some sort of piss-take add-on to that video, otherwise I'm really impressed none of the candidates burst out laughing.
You think that's bad? this is truly awful, worthy of large quantities of explosives.
Adept
Youngling

Post by Adept »

I once heard of a truly amazing account of a singer at a Toronto Blue Jays' game. I forget what team they were playing (though it was certainly an American one), and the singer proceeded to belt out the American anthem first. Next, right in the middle of "O Canada", she froze up/forgot the lyrics and went off. Angered a ton of people, let me tell you.
Real power cannot be given, it must be taken.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

There was one pop singer in Germany with very little talent who somehow managed to forget/screw up the lyrics of the anthem...before a soccer game.

Her career was pretty much over at that point.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

At a highschool basketball game, once, a girl forgot the words to the national anthem. People started heckling her, and she ran off crying. :(
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Something similar happened at a pro game of B-ball, but just when the crowd started to turn one of the players came to the girls aide and started singing with her. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Hendrix's version is awfully, awfully screechy.

Whatever TSO did to their version of "O Holy Night" would make for a very good version of The Star-Spangled Banner.

Apparently Zeppelin also covered it as part of Achilles Last Stand live, but alas, it cannot be legally obtained :(.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

The crowd at a game should, after a singer finishes the National Anthem, perform a Colosseum-style thumbs-up or thumbs-down to determine the fate of the singer - if it was good, they can live. If it was bad, they are immediately executed on the field!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I rather like the EU anthem, being the Ode to Joy and all. However, like my own national anthem, I only know all the words to the first verse. :(
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

:shock: it has words?