The Ruined Roman city of Caesarea (N56K)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

The Ruined Roman city of Caesarea (N56K)

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

A visit to the ancient formerly Roman city of Caesarea in the north of Israel. The best shots had family members in them, so this is what's left :D.

Yes, I did adjust the WB and Stops, as well as going in good weather. But comments and critique as always are welcomed and desired :).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I like the one with the chariots. What does it symbolise?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote:I like the one with the chariots. What does it symbolise?
It symbolizes a statue of a roman chariot with 4 horses attached :P . It's on the track of the old racetrack/Palladium?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

It's amazing. How much of the structures are from antiquity and how much built in later years ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Sarevok wrote:It's amazing. How much of the structures are from antiquity and how much built in later years ?
Very little. A few stones were replaced, but not on anything shown here, the iron horse statue is new, not sure about the sea-front fortress in shot 3+4,the powerplants in the distance (Coal) are new.
The city was conquered by the Muslims around 1273 I think (give or take a century), and was a Roman city (Caesarea means "City of Caesar") before over 1,000 years beforehand. There's a massive aqueduct system along the coast there (Which isn't seen) that's still in amazing condition.

Those Romans built things to last for longer than todays America. Amazing.
Photography
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I'm guessing that the roof on that one wasn't built by Rome.... :P
Visitor of five museum ships.
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

The second picture is definitely after 12th century; there wouldn't have been pointed arched rib vaults before then. The carving on the corbels looks like around 13th century. Are there crusader fortifications there?
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Alerik the Fortunate wrote:The second picture is definitely after 12th century; there wouldn't have been pointed arched rib vaults before then. The carving on the corbels looks like around 13th century. Are there crusader fortifications there?
As I recall, yes, I'm quite sure that the first shot of the lined walls is, along with the shot you mentioned and maybe some more of the fortifications.
coiler wrote:I'm guessing that the roof on that one wasn't built by Rome....
The Romans were big on metal and preserving their atriums, dontcha know ;). (I also saw a bunch of tourists letting their kids run rampant over the mosaics that roof was built to prevent :x )
Photography
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

DEATH wrote: The Romans were big on metal and preserving their atriums, dontcha know ;). (I also saw a bunch of tourists letting their kids run rampant over the mosaics that roof was built to prevent :x )
You would probably be appalled by what tourists dare to do in Rome; I've personally seen people trying to chip away stones from the catacombs.