UV filters and lens hoods

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

UV filters and lens hoods

Post by Bounty »

What are they good for, do you use them, and should I? For a 35mm camera.

I've been trying to read up on those two accessories and I'm pretty sure I understand the basic idea, but I'm at a loss to visualize what difference they make in practice. Is it really a day-and-night difference? Is it worth investing in them (not that they're expensive, but it's still an expense)?
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Re: UV filters and lens hoods

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Lens hoods make a huge difference in stopping stray light where the source is off camera from entering the lens and creating flares.

UV filters, well...
Taken with a kit lens.

Taken on a high quality canon zoom.

Don't bother with a UV filter, unless you're in a really dusty or salty area where you know your lens will get damaged otherwise.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Darth Mall
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mall »

I've never used a filter on my own camera/lenses, but when working for my school photo bureau we had to use UV filters to "protect" the lenses. I didn't see any real difference, except maybe a little more grain to the pictures. As for protecting the lenses, most modern glass in lenses is very durable.

From what I have read, if you are going to use a filter, get a better aka more expensive one. I don't know if it applies to the UV ones, but I know that for polarizing filters you are best with a multi coated one.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It's for a $30 lens so I guess I'll stick with a lenscap and some care.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Bounty wrote:What are they good for, do you use them, and should I? For a 35mm camera.

I've been trying to read up on those two accessories and I'm pretty sure I understand the basic idea, but I'm at a loss to visualize what difference they make in practice. Is it really a day-and-night difference? Is it worth investing in them (not that they're expensive, but it's still an expense)?
UV filters:

You might need one if shooting film high up in the mountains. And I mean really high up in the summer or close to the equator. With digital UV filters are completely unnecessary. They used to be necessary during summer or in the tropics even close to the sea level with the films that were available up to 1980s, but modern color films have quite low UV sensitivity. B&W films still have more UV sensitivity and you might need a UV filter with them even at moderate altitudes. Never use a cheap non-coated or single-coated UV filter, unless you have to photograph in very windy and dusty conditions, where they can be used to protect the lens from the sandblasting effect.

Lens hoods:

Lens hoods are necessary for backlighted photography, especially with old single coated lenses. Also the faster the lens (smaller f-number at diaphragm wide open), the more you will need a lens hood, since faster lenses are more prone to ghosting and flaring. Lens hoods also provide a pretty good protection, because most of the time they keep you from accidentally banging the front element on things, and they have none of the disadvantages of UV and skylight filters. Most pros don't use UV filters any longer, but they do use lens hoods.