Trip Report: San Diego Comic Con [pic heavy]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Trip Report: San Diego Comic Con [pic heavy]

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Last weekend was the big annual Comic Con International: San Diego. I decided to go for one day and document it with a camera. I grabbed the best camera that I had access to, a Canon EOS Rebel G, a handful of leftover film, and went down to San Diego.

A view of the train tracks.

Looking out at the track-side waiting area.

The bridge over the train tracks.

It wasn't long before I saw the first Cosplayer of the day

First cosplayer of the day, still a hundred miles to San Diego.

I got on the train and it was an uneventful trip down. As I got closer to the massive Convention Center, It began to get progressively more crowded with comic/sci-fi enthusiasts and people in costume. By the time I got to the convention center, I was suddenly aware of how big this event was.

The truly massive San Diego Convention Center, sporting a banner for Comic Con.

Another view of the Convention Center, showing off the absolute scale of this event.

Overhead shot of the truly massive amounts of people outside the convention hall.

My first order of business when I got to Comic Con was to get to one of the panels upstairs before hitting the convention floor. Even with the reduced crowds, the upstairs was still pretty busy.

The reduced crowd of the upstairs conference rooms at SDCC.

A huge line already forming for one of the panels upstairs.

With the panel out of the way I made my way downstairs to the exhibition hall, the massive floorspace at the convention center where all the action happens.

Shot of the crowds on the main floor.

A quick candid shot of the crowds at Comic Con.

You could literally not turn around at Comic Con without running into a huge crowd.

A crowd forms in front of the booth for Dumbrella Comics Collective

A rare quiet moment at the Keenspot booth.

The enourous crowds at comic con takes a toll on Spike, the author or Templar Arizona

Spike pitching Templar to an interested customer.

The big guys at comic con stepped up their game as well, with G4TV broadcasting an episode of "Attack of the Show" live from the floor of Comic Con.

G4 broadcasting Attack of Show directly from the floor of Comic Con.

Of course, the one part about Comic Con and other conventions that people remember are the cosplayers, something that was not in short supply here.

A Blood Elf from Blizzard's World of Warcraft attemptes to summon a fireball.

A couple that cosplays together stays together, this couple came to the convention as comic book characters Nick Fury and the Black Widow

Thinking outside the box, the girl chose a rather creative interpretation in her portrayal of a Dalek.

Finally, proving that nothing is too obscure for comic con, this gentleman came dressed as the title character of the webcomic The Adventures of Doctor McNinja. by Chris Hastings

This is just scratching the surface of the Con-strosity. If you want to see more photos from Comic Con, check out my flickr set right here
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Trip Report: San Diego Comic Con [pic heavy]

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Mmm... Blood Elf chicks, Dalek Girls and Doctor McNinja!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trip Report: San Diego Comic Con [pic heavy]

Post by Uraniun235 »

As big as the San Diego Convention Center is, Comic Con completely maxes it out.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk