Zor's photos of the Manitoba Legislative Building (56k DIE!)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Zor's photos of the Manitoba Legislative Building (56k DIE!)

Post by Zor »

I have decided to take some photographs of one of the most impressive buildings in my home town, the Manitoba Legislative Building. Its a rather lovely neoclassical building built back in the day in which Winnipeg was the major rail hub for all commerce going west across canada and had money to spend on nice things.

First some external shots of the building's itself (for non natives, the building most well known feature is the statue on top of the dome, named the golden boy)

Queen Victoria Statue

Inside the building itself is the the Grand Stairway. The Mural in the background honors those brave soldiers who died in the great war

Same room from on top of the staircase.

One of two Bronze Bronze statues of the Bison (the Provincial Animal)

Snakehead Lamp (in the same room)

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2010-04-29 02:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Zor's photos of the Manitoba Legislative Building (56k DIE!)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Dude, that architecture kicks ass. God I would love something that grand here in Arizona.. We have a few nice Art Deco buidings, but nothing on that scale, and nothing in that wonderful Neo Classical Greco-Roman style.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Dude, that architecture kicks ass. God I would love something that grand here in Arizona.. We have a few nice Art Deco buidings, but nothing on that scale, and nothing in that wonderful Neo Classical Greco-Roman style.
Winnipeg actually has a fair bit of Neoclassical and Art Deco stuff downtown as well as some of the oldest skyscrapers (Similar to the early ones in Chicago). Between 1900 and 1929 it was quite wealthy and there was alot of construction going on by buisinesses that wanted to show off. Most of it was done by catalouge and there are a bunch of old brick buildings which have one side done with respectable neoclassical detailing with the other being bare brick Cornice, but it's still fairly impressive in areas. The place were i had my first job (the Manitoba Archives) is actually a very nice Art Deco building that i am going to have to show you.

The Ledgeslative Building is still in my opinion the best thing downtown. The way i see it this is how a Government's administrative center should look.

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2010-04-28 07:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Sorry, what do you mean by this sentence?
Winnipeg actually has a fair bit of Neoclassical and Art Deco stuff downtown as well as some of the oldest skyscrapers in Chicago.
I'm assuming y'all didn't move any skyscrapers from Chicago up to Winnipeg :lol:
XXXI
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Via buffalo-drawn wagon, mostly.

But yeah, what does that mean?
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I should represent Alberta up in this bitch soon. Nietzsche posted pictures of the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly, and Zor's done Manitoba. We should get full coverage of the Prairies up in here.
XXXI
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Phantasee wrote:Sorry, what do you mean by this sentence?
Winnipeg actually has a fair bit of Neoclassical and Art Deco stuff downtown as well as some of the oldest skyscrapers in Chicago.
I'm assuming y'all didn't move any skyscrapers from Chicago up to Winnipeg :lol:
I apologize for the error, it has been rectified. What i ment is that they were a couple of early 20thc century skyscrapers in a similar vein to stuff that had their beginings in chicago.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Phantasee wrote:I should represent Alberta up in this bitch soon. Nietzsche posted pictures of the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly, and Zor's done Manitoba. We should get full coverage of the Prairies up in here.
It's all you man. I must say though, we do have nice parliament buildings in the Prairies.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I've got a question. Do all Legislative Assemblies in the country have the same Queen Victoria statue? Because that one looks almost the same as the one in Toronto.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Alberta and Saskatchewan weren't provinces while Queen Victoria was still around. IIRC it was one of the Edwards, VII or VIII. Here in Alberta we have a creepy portrait of King George V staring at you. All the time. From every angle.
XXXI
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I'm pretty sure I've been to the Manitoba Legislative Building. I know for a fact that I was at the Mint, because I have one of those commemorative coins (somewhere). Man, that's awhile back now.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Phantasee wrote:Alberta and Saskatchewan weren't provinces while Queen Victoria was still around. IIRC it was one of the Edwards, VII or VIII. Here in Alberta we have a creepy portrait of King George V staring at you. All the time. From every angle.
Well I was just wondering because the statue in that pic is almost the spitting image of the same Victoria statue in Toronto.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!