Looking for Blender tips

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Looking for Blender tips

Post by Knife »

So, schools out for 4 weeks, and I'm afraid I'll be bored if all I have is work and no school. So, I down loaded Blender a couple weeks ago and I'm in the long process of trying to figure out how to use it. There are lots of online tutorials and such, a dizzying amount really, and I used them to make my first house today (yay me).

That said, they mention some stuff in passing that I can't figure out, so I figure someone here is using this system and can lend a hand, or knowledge, once in a while. I'm trying to figure out how to put a background picture up so I can model something to it's lines, but have not been able to figure out how. I go to the background tab, and the address bar, but typing stuff into it, even 'google' doesn't seem to work for me. Any suggestions, or online tutorials that handle this situation?

I realize this is a complex program and I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand, just sometimes gaps in knowledge are easier to fill by asking than pouring over text and searching DIYS videos. :)
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Re: Looking for Blender tips

Post by Jawawithagun »

Dunno if it changed in 2.5 but look here: http://www.the-blueprints.com/tutorials/blender/
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Looking for Blender tips

Post by Knife »

Wow, that's really helpful actually. I got an ortho up on the back ground, off my hard drive. Still putzing with it. this program is complex. Oooph.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red