barnest2 tries google sketchup

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

barnest2 tries google sketchup

Post by HMS Sophia »

I downloaded a copy of google sketch up the other day and had a go.
It's pretty interesting, and quite easy too use unlike some design programs.
So, to cut a long story short, since I'm running a pbp sci-fi game, I thought I would design my characters space ship with it. Wondered what you guys would make of it :D
It's not quite done, but mostly I just have to do some detailing...
Here you go:
that's an iso
Shot showing the main armament as well as the scale of a human being (that little black line by the bridge)
Detailing of the point-defence guns.

yeah, one of my primary influences was inter-war/WW2 capital ships.
Tell em what you think/where I could improve :)
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: barnest2 tries google sketchup

Post by Knife »

Not bad for you're first go around.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

That's very good for your first try. May I ask, are the turrets separate components, or are they part of the model itself?
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

They're technically part of the model, but it wouldn't be hard to split them off as components...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Ah, I see.

Have you tried experimenting with the intersect tool? It's good for making complex shapes.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I don't think I have such a tool. I only have the free edition, where is it?

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

If you're having lots of turrets, I've found it's easier to make a turret and then copy and paste it into place on the model.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Knife wrote:If you're having lots of turrets, I've found it's easier to make a turret and then copy and paste it into place on the model.
:lol: you have discovered my trick. I did it with almost all of them once the first was made, as well as with the torp tubes. It was especially useful for the 40 PD guns

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

barnest2 wrote:I don't think I have such a tool. I only have the free edition, where is it?
When selecting one or more face, right click on it, there will be an option called "intersect", with the option to intersect selected faces with each other, faces in context, or the parts of the model they contact.

It allows you to cut into shapes or connect shapes to rounded surfaces easily, without having to draw lines where they intersect.

For example, your PD barrels are currently like this:

With the intersect tool, done as so:

You can make it like this, and cut off the excess:

And now the barrel is a part of the model in sketchup, too.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Ah ok... I think you have the posh version. I don't have that option... I don't think..

ETA: oh wait, yes I can... unfortunately I cba to go over 40 turrets... I'll do it in future though, thankyou :D

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Oh yes, that's the other advantage of components. Only one edit. :D
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

barnest2 wrote:I don't think I have such a tool. I only have the free edition, where is it?
If you have the free edition you have the intersect tool - I know, because the free edition is what I have. On the left hand tool bar it's near the bottom, on the right, unless your set up is bizarrely different than mine.

ETA: Nvm, already answered. Next!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I don't have a left hand tool bar, mine runs across the top :P
But I found it, and will be using it in future...