EPIC Zelda 25th Anniversary Painting (56K slow)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

EPIC Zelda 25th Anniversary Painting (56K slow)

Post by Dalton »

Click here. 960 by 5253 pixels of awesome.

Don't believe me? Take a look at the wallpaper-sized crop I made.

More info here.
Attachments
Zelda Epic.jpg
Zelda Epic.jpg (558.5 KiB) Viewed 7077 times
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: EPIC Zelda 25th Anniversary Painting (56K slow)

Post by Agent Fisher »

Holy shit, that is epic.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

That's very, very good. Paintings are bastard hard.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

It wasn't exactly...painted.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

That's really splitting hairs. The picture was made in a program called Corel Painter, which is a well-known program for simulating the process of creating art in the same way as traditional non-digital mediums. It's far, far closer to the "real" thing than programs like Photoshop. Unlike PS, it goes out of its way to create the same brush strokes as pencils, pens, sponges, brushes of various kinds, etc. Also unlike PS, when you apply color to your picture, it mixes in the same sort of way with the preceding colors as it would in a real painting. The main differences in the technique are greater control over mistakes (CTRL+Z!), an annoying tendency for the program to crash for no good reason, and the digital pen being functionally* different from a brush. Painter is what most of the more successful traditional artists use these days in Japan, if not over the world.

*=an expensive tablet or cintiq allows for a lot of the same functionalities as real brush strokes, depending on your settings.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

How is this anything different than painting? It even fits the dictionary definition for the completely pedantic types.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Wow, that is some fine work. So what if they used a program? It's the 21st century and it still looks brick-shittingly epic. :luv:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

It is amazing what modern digital technology can do in hands of a skilled and talented person.
I would say computers empower artists rather than merely acting as a crutch.

Therefore I say hats off the artist for the sheer beauty of this artwork that encapsulates the essence of such a legendary videogame series !
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

It may sound silly, but I wish there was a larger resolution version available than 960px wide. The lowest resolution to viably print something like this at would be 150dpi, and it'd only be around 6" wide. 6" x 35" long, but that's not really a lot when you have a 60" x * printer that you can use at will. =/
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

There's a lot of good Zelda artwork out there, both fanart and concept/production art. I especially like Katsuya Terada's concept art for the earlier NES/SNES/Game Boy games and this guy who drew all the Zelda 1 baddies.

NeoGaf has an excellent thread on Zelda related artwork (which includes the Japanese fanart posted by Dalton). Here are my favourites:

'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

My god, whoever drew this is my fucking hero. The sense of movement and force is just absolutely beautiful, even though not everything makes perfect sense.

I have to say, Zelda is really good at inspiring art from an extremely wide variety of different styles.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

HeadCreeps wrote:My god, whoever drew this is my fucking hero. The sense of movement and force is just absolutely beautiful, even though not everything makes perfect sense.
I have to agree about the sense of movement and power. I can see Link blocking a deadly attack, the force shoving him back; yet the scene allows you, the viewer, to imagine who/what might have thrown the attack. But who threw it is really unimportant, as the painting is about the determination and courage to face and stand against the attack.

It's now my desktop, btw.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

Well put! That type of picture is of the sort I can only dream of putting forth; it appeals to the viewer both in the aesthetic sense and on a far more base, emotional level. Perhaps it speaks of my own personality that I found myself thinking the shield should be tilted at least a little.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I'm most impressed by the Heavy Metal style artwork of Link and Hyrule by Japanese artist, Katsuya Terada.

Here's my Zelda related doodling: