Fix the smilies!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fix the smilies!

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Ford Prefect wrote:Really? It is one of the very few 'testing smileys' that I would consider suggesting adding to the board on any sort of 'permanent' basis, not that I actually know what it's supposed to be used for.
I tend to use it to mock people or phrases which are taken too seriously or nonsensical bullshit that is just so damned indecipherable that one must fall back upon Jefferson's ol' standby, "Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions."

It's a smiley that tends to put pure, unapologetic verbal diarrhea in a concise little emoticon. It's kind of like typing "jkdakjhasfglkhkiopiflkfjngsjkh".
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Rye
To Mega Therion

Re: Fix the smilies!

Post by Rye »

Ford Prefect wrote: Really? It is one of the very few 'testing smileys' that I would consider suggesting adding to the board on any sort of 'permanent' basis, not that I actually know what it's supposed to be used for. The only other one I would suggest would be the TEACH smiley, because it's a lighthearted piece of punctuation for blocks of information. I actually like some of the others, but they aren't really appropriate outside of testing (admittedly, the "Image" smiley doesn't have much in the way of utility either).
It's a minimalist way of mocking a person or position. I always imagine it being the equivalent of a retarded noise you'd make to mock someone stupid; a big duck-like "HAWWWW!" sound. The use has largely been consistent with that, e.g. "Why, the enterprise is invulnerable to lazors! Image"

I also really love the Image one and the Image one too. As a general rule I dislike animated ones and ones with too much added. The key to a good smiley is simplicity. These two add an inflection or even theme to text, and that's the ultimate purpose of the smiley. Many of the others in-thread are either fugly or add nothing to potential text anyway.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus