Only in Australia

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

You're welcome. :P

Concerning the av - found it in 60x, and had to enlarge it and then sharpen a bit + a border. Choose it since it is my star sign (leo) and I quite like the lion in general. Expression is pretty cool too. btw, I have no idea what Kzin, Kilrathi or Aslan is/are/am. Fill me in?
Last edited by moku on 2004-11-19 07:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Kilrathi are the bad guys in the Wing Commander games.

Your av certainly looks like one.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Gandalf wrote:Kilrathi are the bad guys in the Wing Commander games.

Your av certainly looks like one.
So SW. Ahh. I did a google using the image finder and was surprised to find quite a few strange images. Anyhow, I saw another user at Monte Cook's RPG board using the av some time ago, and saved, subconsciously. The user has changed the av, IIRC and I found it lying, collecting dust on my HD, and decided once enlarged and touched up, it'd look pretty nifty. The image was originally called [and still is] litoriantotewarrior.jpg, but I don't think it is related to Kilrathi.
*shrugs*

Thanks.
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wombat, my blog
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The Kilrathi are a race of bipedal aliens that evolved from prowler stock (they're cat people IOW). They're not 'cute' like your average tabby is. Imagine what would happen to the world if lions had developed the opposable thumb and the tools that would come from it. Scary. They're a war like culture who fight the kickass Terran Confederacy for decades, until Luke Skywalker... er, Mark Hamil... er, COMDR Chris Blair bombed their homeworld back into the stone age. Now, the Kilrathi are kind of... quiet.

The Kzin are the same as the above, only their wars with mankind were rediculously stupid thanks to Larry Niven's stupid ideas.

The Aslan are the same as the above, only they're not as warlike. They're in the Traveller universe. Traveller is a RPG with it's own original campaign setting and universe. It's alright, if it wasn't so insufferably arrogant.

Note, all three: the Kilrathi, Kzin, and Aslan, are virtually identical archetypes, yet their cultures are different in certain respects.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention sexuality: the Kzin have non-sapient females, who are considered property of a male Kzin. The Kilrathi I have no idea about. The Aslan have sapient females along with males, but there are slight differences; typically males are warriors and don't have the temperament to be administrators, which is what the females do.
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Alsan eh... Cool. Thanks for the desciption. Anything else I can tell you about the Au capital, since you did that digging for me (actually probably out of memory, huh?)? :mrgreen:

[+] Wombat, my blog
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I thought that the non-sapience was partly to do with their culture selectively breeding the females to be less intelligent. There were sapient female kzin on the Ringworld, remember, and I got the impression that they could interbreed with non-ringworld kzin. 8)
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Lusankya wrote:I thought that the non-sapience was partly to do with their culture selectively breeding the females to be less intelligent. There were sapient female kzin on the Ringworld, remember, and I got the impression that they could interbreed with non-ringworld kzin. 8)
I don't remember that bit. Where was it? :?
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Near the end. I don't remember exactly - I'm not quite sure where my copy is. The ringworld kzin were much less warlike than their non-ringworld counterparts.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

that's all cathouse's fault!

yes, the Kzin dumbed down their females, in a Gorean like thing meliniums ago, to the detriment of the whole species. The pre-genetic/mass enslavement females do exist on Ringworld though, and I think Cathouse did get along quite well with speaks to animals....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I found the reference: in the ringworld engineers, chapter 28: the map of kzin.

The females still weren't as intelligent as the males, but they had a limited vocabulary.
- Darth Wong