It has begun (VSD conversion)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I probably won't mount the aft QTL on an elevated position, but since the spine follows the hull's dorsal angle, they should both have a clear forward arc. If installing them on the model proves otherwise, of course, I'll add an elevated mounting.

EDIT: This shows the superstructure footprint as it'll appear. It's large enough to hold a reactor slightly larger than the Venator's.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Based on new measurements of the model as is, I've created a new image showing three VSD designs (mine the uppermost) compared with a Venator (the VenStar and lowermost VSD come from here).

You can tell there's more reactor space in my VSD design than the VenStar despite the shallow draught. The superstructure should be similar to that shown (from the 3D model).
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

While I've got the superstructure assembled, I thought I'd turn my attention back to the ventral hull. Here are some examples of various plating schemes I've thought of. I'd like to make it look different from the current arrangement (uppermost image). Any thoughts?
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I like the bottommost one. It looks the most "armourish" and looks like very good protection for the the main power spine and hangar.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

That one's my favorite, as well. It also lends credence to the fact that the VSD is a slower ship than its contemporaries by having that extra armor to lug around.

Anyway, Here's a quick photo of the superstructure in the rough. Tomorrow I'll start to smooth it out and even out any asymmetries. I may also modify the ventral plating tomorrow at the earliest. If anyone has any alternate configurations, they're welcome to post them.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

FireFox My Man!

You have been busy! Looking very good. Like the spots and sketches, like seeing something being built like this, changing bit by bit. Agree with others, the bottommost version of the under plates is best to use for the old Vic. Curious question though. I see spots circled where I can assume Heavy Turbo lasers go, what do you plan on using for them?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Thanks for the compliments. The circles were just to point out to someone how they'd probably be spaced. There'll be four quad turbolasers on each side of the superstructure (those circles will be covered up by a platform that's flush with the side of the superstructure), with the other two mounted on the dorsal spine.

Here's a rough diagram showing where the primary, secondary, and torpedo armaments will be located. I thought about placing two of the double TLs aft of the wings, but their firing arcs would suck.

I'll probably post update photos in another week, once the supporting neck and bridge module are in place. The module will probably not be as rounded as the 3D model, instead built out of facets and covered in thin plating.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Minor update:

Image 1.

Image 2.

The Venator hasn't been fully assembled. From the dry-fitting, all the parts seem to fit. There will be some further changes to the engine pods and bridge modules, but the rest of the ship is okay, overall.

The Victory has the new bridge module in place. I need to even it out and add the outriggers before I proceed with much else. There's also the matter of building up the engine area. The primaries will rest on boxes like the secondaries, though there will be plenty of greebly bits to obscure the structures.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

I've added the outriggers to the bridge module:

Image 1.
Image 2.
Image 3.

I'm not sure if I like how big they are. Any ideas?
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

From the top, I think it looks great. Not only does it look good, but it also makes a very distinctive design, not confusable at all with Acclamator, Venator, or Imperator designs.

From the front and back, it looks like a dwarf Imperator bridge module. If this is what's bothering you, I don't know what to say. I remember last time the issue of outrigger design came up, nothing really fit. Squaring off or thinning out the outriggers might make it more distinct, but it also might ruin the aesthetic. :?

Sorry I'm not much help.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion for weapon placement, might I suggest something similar to the early ISD model displayed in the SWTC's latest update? One major battery on each side of the superstructure? It alleviates the Imperator and Venator's design flaws where most (or possibly all) of their major guns are obstructed from firing forward, as well as concentrates the firepower into fewer, smaller weapons. The turrets also show a stylistic resemblance to those of the Imperator-I. I also think the design just looks cool. :P
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

That thing? You've got to be kidding me! :P

The idea has merit, though. I could place a QTL battery on either wing of the superstructure, and place the others elsewhere where their forward arcs aren't affected. I don't want to place them too far from the superstructure, however. Even placing them on the hull, away from terraces, could be a problem, and conflict with hardware underneath.

I am going to keep the two axial-mounted QTLs, however.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Firefox wrote:That thing? You've got to be kidding me! :P
Bah! I like the twin megaturrets :P
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Wow! I'd never even heard of such an Early modle before! Though describing it as a 'Thing' is appropriate. It looks like a bunch of parts from other modles thrown together. I will say I always imagined extra TL's on the Vics 'wings' though.

Oh yea. Bridge Modula TOTALLY Rocks FireFox!
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Just a minor setback....honest.

I had the idea of drilling out the cover plates for the secondary engines, so I could sink those in, thus negating any problems with squaring the bottom and gluing it flush to the plate. So, I drilled a pilot hole, then started using bits of steadily increasing size...

... then the plate broke up. Followed by the second.

I now have to cut out and install new cover plates, but I have a solution to avoid the same mistake. The burner inside the nozzle was from a 1:72 aircraft wheel hub. Since I have more, I'll take another two, carve them to a size where they'll fit inside the 1/2" tube of the engine nozzle itself, and glue it to the cover plate before attaching the tube itself. This should save me the headache of having to drill through the plate itself.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to start working on the Venator's prow and docking bay details. The prow piece provided in the kit is grossly inaccurate, so I get to build that area up from scratch. The docking bay needs more detail since I sank the ceiling piece deeper into the hull. The ship should be ready to paint by the end of the month, though we'll see.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Not-so-slow going

Post by Firefox »

While I haven't had any photos to show my progress, I can say that while there have been no new installations, work continues apace. I applied a coat of dark gray sandable primer today to fill in any imperfections. I sanded it twice tonight (the second time after I discovered the primer had left bubbles in the corners along the superstructure terraces).

At the moment, the biggest potential trouble spots are the ventral plating, the rear engine bulkhead, and the bridge module. The first is due to the likelihood a difference in thickness between the original plating and the added pieces, which could be painfully obvious. Hopefully this can be resolved with some scribing and strategically-placed greebly bits. Any problems with the other two areas can be cleared up with either more sanding and filling, or again, carefully-placed greeblies.

I promise to have photos of my progress by this weekend. I'll also show how the Venator's progressing.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hey! I must have missed your last update. Really sorry to hear about what happend. Hope it didn't set you back too far in things. Also whats wrong with the bridge? I thought you had that (roughly) finished.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Nothing's wrong with the bridge design, it's the condition. It'll be difficult to smooth out and keep straight.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Finally something to update about:

Engines for both ships. You can see I've added turkey feathers to the Venator's nozzles. The two off-white nozzles in the background are resin copies, and will be used on the VicStar.

New bow for the Venator. Using the movie and the ICS, I built a new structure for the prow.

Deeper docking bay. I've also added detail to the fore and aft bulkheads, which were blank.

Venator's stern. You can see some of the mods I've made to this section, to make it look less toy-like.

Now on to the Victory:

Now it comes in white. After some more sanding, I'll apply another coat of white in further search for imperfections before I start to add detail.

Rear view. The secondary engines are in place, and you can see the modified ventral hull plating.

I don't know when, but hopefully by next update, the first details will be in place, along with some scribing. Stay tuned....
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

WOO! FireFox! You Da MAN! *Pumps Fist enthusiastically* Woo Woo Woo!!

That front image of the vic, it just looks so, pure! So new! So fresh! So, So, so NOT a kitbash version of the ISD! :D Alas, no 'tail' from the original plans, but no biggie, the rest look SO fabulous, if it ever became a real Kit I would order one in a heart break.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Heh, with all of the mottling, I wouldn't call it pure.

I'm probably going to go ahead and install a dado along the hull edges. It'll allow some extra detail along the edges, and will sort of balance out the hull with the wings, so they don't seem to stick out as far.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Oh btw... I wanted to ask, is the final version going to be white like it is now? Or is this just a Phase? I invsioned it as Imperial Grey with some Republic Red highlights.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I'm guessing that for the time being that's a primer layer.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Crunch time for weapons positioning:

The first one is the one I'm most likely to choose at this point. It's the classic Star Destroyer layout, in addition to the two batteries on the forward spine. The others give it some difference from the Imperator and Venator class arrangements, but blind spots are my concern. The first option would allow for broadsides of six batteries, or if the bow is tilted down, a full forward barrage of all ten. The others allow for more space between turrets on the sides of the superstructure, and while they are similar in the broadside and forward barrages, some are affected in the rearward arc.

I'll be applying what I hope to be a final coat of primer to search for more imperfections, and if all systems are go, I'll start adding detail next weekend. This is why I need to establish the positioning of the primary armament now (and yes, the secondary guns will need similar attention soon).

Thoughts?

EDIT: The turret configuration's also an issue. The most viable arrangements are a cluster of all four barrels (similar to the guns on TF battleships) or linear (ISD-II-style batteries).
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Two and three appeal to me because they would seem to allow better forward firing arcs. However, number one not only keeps the traditional design (and is nearly identical to the ISD-I) but keeps the weapons close to the main reactor.

I vote mainly for number one, but also support two and three to a lesser extent.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Agreement with Jogurt. 2 and 3 might be more practicle, but #1 looks the best and fits in perfectly with the layout for other ships.

EDIT: You know what? I think i'm going to change my vote to #5. It is a lot like #1, which is nice, but putting the last two turrets up on the Super structure gives them an almost 360 degree arc of fire which lets the fire behind if ever needs as well as stright ahead over the others which are in a line.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!