What's Your Favorite Musical Genre?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Just choose your favorite

Electronic (specify sub-genres)
10%
Classical / orchestrated
24%
Cultural (bluegrass, African, Indian, etc.)
No votes
Jazz / The Blues / Bebop
5%
Ska, Reggae, Dub
2%
Popular (pop, rock, rap, hip-hop, country)
36%
Other (specify)
24%

Total votes: 42

Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

I think I'm stuck in a three-way between speed rock, power/epic rock, and punk. - the three of those genres combined make up about 90% of my "official" MP3 folder, the rest being a few outliers and stuff I've downloaded from Newgrounds and such.
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

In true Stark style, I don't have a 'favourite' genre, just a genre or two that I hate. My most common used MP3s include jazz, classical, industrial, punk, rock, techno, house, rap, metal and most other things. I just fucking hate country 'she crashed my car shot my dog and left me alone with a beer' rubbish. And Ben Harper-esque folksy bland jesus nonsense.

PS, every song in Guitar Hero is great.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Neko_Oni wrote:Currently obessed with hip-hop. In particular Australian hip-hop due to some superb releases recently, Butterfingers and Hilltop Hoods being the albums in question. The Herd's also another Aussie hip-hop group that's done some excellent stuff recently.

That said my other tastes are pretty broad. Anything except pop and R&B.

Here's a Youtube link for Butterfingers - FIGJAM. Funny stuff. Bonus points for fitting the word bukkake into a hip-hop song.

Butterfingers - FIGJAM
What about your mama? I only ask, because I heard that she's at the top of my things to do list.

God I love Butterfingers, if only I could find his albums anywhere here.

I am tempted to put hip-hop near the top, its such an expansive genre, everything from Living Colour and RAtM (to some extent) to RZA and Roots Manuva, through to Butterfingers, some Regurgitator, Gerling and classics like Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, De La Soul and Public Enemy.
Neko_Oni
Padawan Learner

Post by Neko_Oni »

weemadando wrote:What about your mama? I only ask, because I heard that she's at the top of my things to do list.

God I love Butterfingers, if only I could find his albums anywhere here.

I am tempted to put hip-hop near the top, its such an expansive genre, everything from Living Colour and RAtM (to some extent) to RZA and Roots Manuva, through to Butterfingers, some Regurgitator, Gerling and classics like Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, De La Soul and Public Enemy.
The new Butterfingers album is really good, there's a pretty wide variety of sounds on there. Some of it sounds more like Mister Bungle than hip-hop, Ska beats, reggae beats, it's awesome.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Jazz and Metal. My favorite sub-genres of Jazz are as follows: Fusion, Swing and then Smooth Jazz if the mood is right. My favorite Metal sub-genres are Progressive, Thrash and then Power Metal.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just a few questions.

Where do the following bands/artists fit in - they seem to all straddle/defy genres.

The Darkness
David Bowie (pick an era, probably Ziggy Stardust and Thin White Duke)
Sly And The Family Stone
Daft Punk
Bloodhound Gang
Moby
Tenacious D (probably rock, but is too much of their stuff borderline comedic?)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'd say Tenacious D is pretty much just rock. David Bowie seems pretty rock to me too (at least, Ziggy Stardust does, if a bit Bowie-d). What you call the Darkness probably depends on where you drop the line between rock and metal: they're clearly a spoof on late-Queenesque hair bands etc.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Video game music. Which would probably be classified as "all of the above" then. Currently I'm listening to Mischief Makers, Paper Mario and Super Castlevania IV, which is a wee bit different from one another. Also I like classical music (but obviously not all of it) and generally anything that doesn't have lyrics.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I don't have a specific favourite. What I listen to depends on my mood. I would mostly listen to Nine Inch Nails, KoRn, Marilyn Manson and that kinda thing.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Classical.
I also lkike Showtunes (musicals mostly [Les Mis for the win!]), the groups Bond, Pink Martini, and of all things, Neil Diamond.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

weemadando wrote:Just a few questions.

Where do the following bands/artists fit in - they seem to all straddle/defy genres.
Going by my labelling system of what sort of party they'd get played at:

The Darkness - Rock.
David Bowie (pick an era, probably Ziggy Stardust and Thin White Duke) - Older Rock
Sly And The Family Stone - no idea.
Daft Punk - Dance
Bloodhound Gang - Rock
Moby - Dance
Tenacious D - Rock
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

I mostly listen to British invasion rock (the Beatles, the Kinks, the Stones). I also listen to Creedence, Lennon's solo work, and I've been listening to a lot of Cake lately. So... rock, I guess.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus