Gigantic nuclear-powered land battleship

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

There are several reasons realistic land vehicles don't get big like ships do: (1) entirely different mechanical dynamics: ships don't have to navigate irregular terrain; they also maneuver differently and are supported differently, in a way which permits larger bulk without the associated land drawbacks and material stress. (2) Entirely different logistical requirements: ships must support their crews and carry their own fuel and ammunition long enough to be self-sufficient; land vehicles don't need this sort of support, which is why supply chains are a much bigger issue on the land than on the sea. (3) Entirely different combat ranges: sea combat occurs at ranges of hundreds or thousands of kilometers; land combat occurs at ranges of ones or tens of kilometers (incidentally, this is one of the reasons battleships are obsolete).

It's simply ridiculous to try to construct a vehicle to play the role of a battleship on the ground, when not only are battleships obsolete on the oceans, they existed to fulfill a single, integrated role which is unnecessary on a land battlefield.

EDIT: Actually, I should say that it's ridiculous to try to construct a vehicle to emulate a battleship on the ground; a battleship's role is sufficiently covered by other forms of artillery.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

RedImperator wrote:Do you even know why modern artillery fires rounds on a ballistic trajectory instead of on a direct line to the target? Because no matter how powerful the gun is, gravity will pull the shell down, and a shell fired on a flat trajectory will run out of space to fall very quickly. You're expending multiple nuclear devices to do the same job an 18th century bronze cannon could.
Yes, I did know that. It is, in fact, a glaring design flaw that I intend to rectify, but I can't simply get rid of the phallic cannon.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Surlethe wrote:There are several reasons realistic land vehicles don't get big like ships do: (1) entirely different mechanical dynamics: ships don't have to navigate irregular terrain; they also maneuver differently and are supported differently, in a way which permits larger bulk without the associated land drawbacks and material stress. (2) Entirely different logistical requirements: ships must support their crews and carry their own fuel and ammunition long enough to be self-sufficient; land vehicles don't need this sort of support, which is why supply chains are a much bigger issue on the land than on the sea. (3) Entirely different combat ranges: sea combat occurs at ranges of hundreds or thousands of kilometers; land combat occurs at ranges of ones or tens of kilometers (incidentally, this is one of the reasons battleships are obsolete).

It's simply ridiculous to try to construct a vehicle to play the role of a battleship on the ground, when not only are battleships obsolete on the oceans, they existed to fulfill a single, integrated role which is unnecessary on a land battlefield.

EDIT: Actually, I should say that it's ridiculous to try to construct a vehicle to emulate a battleship on the ground; a battleship's role is sufficiently covered by other forms of artillery.
You are right, and, since I am not that illiterate, and did already know most of that.
On the other hand, I think that I should point out that it isn't reasonable to expect a vehicle which is an obvious joke to fulfill any realistic battlefield need.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Melchior wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Do you even know why modern artillery fires rounds on a ballistic trajectory instead of on a direct line to the target? Because no matter how powerful the gun is, gravity will pull the shell down, and a shell fired on a flat trajectory will run out of space to fall very quickly. You're expending multiple nuclear devices to do the same job an 18th century bronze cannon could.
Yes, I did know that. It is, in fact, a glaring design flaw that I intend to rectify, but I can't simply get rid of the phallic cannon.
You only don't want to get rid of it because what you really wanted to make was a giant tank, not a land battleship...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If you want a giant tank, just look up a Baneblade. That's about as big as you can realistically expect a tank to get...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
General Deathdealer
Padawan Learner
Location: In a Thunderhawk enroute to the Blood Angels Battle Barge

Post by General Deathdealer »

Elheru Aran wrote:If you want a giant tank, just look up a Baneblade. That's about as big as you can realistically expect a tank to get...
The Baneblade is not as big as you can get. If you want big, look up a Bolo. That is as big as you can get. Plus is has the huge main gun you are looking for.
"Don't fuck with The Mess. Unless you've been there, done that, and have the t-shirt, shut your cakehole." - Me
"By the Blood of Sanguinius" - Blood Angels Battlecry
"The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines." - Anonymous
"This can't be good" - Sherriff Jack Carter