Motivational Posters

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Joker Wanted poster was hysterical.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:What the fuck is going on here?
It's the 80's as remembered by 20-30 year old geeks, duh.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

JME2 wrote:The Joker Wanted poster was hysterical.
Yeah, It's given me half a brainbug for a fanfic... :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

The hypocrisy one would be better if it used the $2 bill (USD).

The 80s references are overloading my senses, Einy! What do you call that effect with the coloured shadows, btw? I love it.

And I forgot how hot some of the Enterprise's crew was.
XXXI
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Fuck you Eatliver; you're getting cornholed by Digg and are more worried about a couple kb in a smallish forum? Ass! :finger:
Last edited by Einhander Sn0m4n on 2008-07-26 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

FAIL.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Good leech there, buddy.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Edited...
Image Image
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Hey, that's all the cash the granny had in her purse! Gangsta's gotta make do with what they get, right?
XXXI
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Phantasee wrote:Hey, that's all the cash the granny had in her purse! Gangsta's gotta make do with what they get, right?

:roll:, WOW Phant, just WOW.
Get some
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

This is probably older than the ninties, but I laughed.

lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I wonder how big a bomb it would take to do that.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I wonder how big a bomb it would take to do that.
I wonder how much of EurAsia would be inhabitable after the fallout!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

LadyTevar wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:I wonder how big a bomb it would take to do that.
I wonder how much of EurAsia would be inhabitable after the fallout!
I'm thinking orbital bombardment, with some kind of technobabble energy weapon that doesn't create ejecta or radiation. Otherwise, a crater that size, the rest of the planet is boned.

Aw hell, I'm reading too much into it.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The planet is already boned, if it was a kinetic impact your talking in the hundreds of Teraton region.

Thanks to the Astriod impact calculator I can tell you a 500 kilometer sized chunk of rock coming in at 11 Kps would create a 2790 mile wide crater over 2.31 miles deep. There would be a 5 PSI pressure as much as 6000 KM's from the center of the impact and lets not forget the earthquake on the other side of the planet from the impact.

The earth would not be fucked instantly, but the amount of atomized dirt, soil, oil and people tossed in air would quick kill everyone and coat the world in about four feet of ash if my math is right.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

No, Bean, most life on the planet would die within hours, as the red-hot ejecta comes down literally all over the planet, driving temperatures above the boiling point. While being under as little as a foot of dirt can save you, quite literally all the rest of the surface life being quite dead will quickly kill the survivors. The impact may in fact be so large that it sterilizes the Earth, or at least boils the oceans.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

starslayer wrote:No, Bean, most life on the planet would die within hours, as the red-hot ejecta comes down literally all over the planet, driving temperatures above the boiling point. While being under as little as a foot of dirt can save you, quite literally all the rest of the surface life being quite dead will quickly kill the survivors. The impact may in fact be so large that it sterilizes the Earth, or at least boils the oceans.
Well not all over the planet since there's this thing called Wind Patterns which will save places like South American... for a few days, but you still come back to the fact you have enough material in the atmosphere not only to block out the sun but make breathing impossible.

In summery, South America(As in, the bit near the south Pole) will survive for perhaps two days without requiring external oxygen support. The buring rain will be bad yes but you still face the issue of parts of the planet that are just over mid-way around the planet. Opposite the planet you'll have tidal waves, earthquakes the like.

Two thirds of the way around you stand a good chance of surviving (Two days max) the burning and the shaking.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Won't most of the ejecta be ballistic with an impact that size? It's not a matter of wind patterns determining where the ash goes; it's a matter of the upthrown vaporized rock going into orbit and coming down literally everywhere.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

No, no, your overthinking it. If yer dead you have no problems. Period. its the survivors the have problems, and there arent any
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

problem not *entirely* solved...there's some Pakistan and Egypt, left.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

unsigned
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

If that were what the big bang theory really said, then I'd find it amusing.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Surlethe wrote:Won't most of the ejecta be ballistic with an impact that size? It's not a matter of wind patterns determining where the ash goes; it's a matter of the upthrown vaporized rock going into orbit and coming down literally everywhere.
Yup. Hell, the fireball from even a 10 km asteroid (dinosaur-killer) reaches space. The fireball from this impact would probably reach waaaaayyy past LEO.

A little more explanation: On the National Geogrpahic channel several years ago, they had a simulation of what a 100 mile-wide impactor with a velocity of 30 kps (which is typical for asteroids) would do to the planet. These impacts may have been common in earth's early history. Anyways, it really did throw enough energy into the biosphere to boil the fucking oceans. And then completely melt the salt pans that were left. What happened was that even though there would be an enormous amount of ejecta raining down everywhere, the "fireball," really a cloud of rock vapor, would collapse and rush around the planet at a thickness of roughly 30-40,000 feet, IIRC, and completely destroy all surface life. Then it hangs there, giving up its energy as it boils the fucking oceans within hours to days. We, obviously, were utterly fucked. In fact, the cloud was so hot that it would cause the Amazon to burst into flame from the radiant heat, several minutes before it even got there.
Kanastrous wrote:problem not *entirely* solved...there's some Pakistan and Egypt, left.
Ummmm.... there's literally going to be nothing there. Do you hate the very Earth itself?!?!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

starslayer wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:problem not *entirely* solved...there's some Pakistan and Egypt, left.
Ummmm.... there's literally going to be nothing there. Do you hate the very Earth itself?!?!
Referring to the silly fun of the map, not the searing horror of reality.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

starslayer wrote:A little more explanation: On the National Geographic channel several years ago, they had a simulation of what a 100 mile-wide impactor with a velocity of 30 kps (which is typical for asteroids) would do to the planet. These impacts may have been common in earth's early history. Anyways, it really did throw enough energy into the biosphere to boil the fucking oceans. And then completely melt the salt pans that were left. What happened was that even though there would be an enormous amount of ejecta raining down everywhere, the "fireball," really a cloud of rock vapor, would collapse and rush around the planet at a thickness of roughly 30-40,000 feet, IIRC, and completely destroy all surface life. Then it hangs there, giving up its energy as it boils the fucking oceans within hours to days. We, obviously, were utterly fucked. In fact, the cloud was so hot that it would cause the Amazon to burst into flame from the radiant heat, several minutes before it even got there.
This thing?
Image Image