Space Pictures [warning for 56k, images > 600 pixels]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Sikon
Jedi Knight

Space Pictures [warning for 56k, images > 600 pixels]

Post by Sikon »

These are scenes of spacestations, extraterrestrial planets, etc.

Obviously none of these pictures were created by me, just found online. Click on one to see the source, often with more like it.

People could post other space-related images here too.

Rick Guidice / NASA: Space habitat

Adrian Mann: Nuke-Pulse Propulsion

Don Davis / L5 News and National Space Society: Space habitat

Space Studies Institute: Solar Power Satellite

Rick Guidice / NASA: Space Habitat

David Hardy: Extraterrestrial planet

Don Davis: Space Habitat

NASA: Space Agriculture

Syd Mead / Oblagon: Space Agriculture

Adrian Mann: Europa (terraformed?)

Penn State: Antiproton-Catalyzed Micro Fission/Fusion (miniature nuke-pulse)

David Hardy: Extraterrestrial planet (or could be terraformed moon)

Millennial Project: Zero-g area

David Hardy: Blimp in Titan's atmosphere

The Light Works: Extraterrestrial planet and scene

Millennial Project: Domed crater

David Hardy: Martian airship

---------------

Some other images that almost were included above:
  • The images represented in thumbnail size within my signature image: A gallery with them is here.
  • A too large image here (Artist: Joe Bergeron)
  • Dozens, even hundreds of more images: They can be seen by browsing various web sites that can be reached by clicking on pictures above.
[/url]
[/url]Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever.

― Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Wonderful images. Thanks for posting them. I like the Europa image particulrly. Billions of years from now when the sun expands Europa may indeed become warm enough to look like that. It would be a pretty cool place to watch the sunset and reflect upon 5 billions years that have passed.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Sarevok wrote:Wonderful images. Thanks for posting them. I like the Europa image particulrly. Billions of years from now when the sun expands Europa may indeed become warm enough to look like that. It would be a pretty cool place to watch the sunset and reflect upon 5 billions years that have passed.
You could do it in a thousand years with a big enough parabolic mirror, some methane and a lot of CO2. I'd pick a place like Callisto or maybe Ganymede for such hijinks, though. Europa sits pretty much smack-dab in the middle of Jupiter's Van Allen belts.

Now that would be quite a scene, with the small, brilliant pinprick of the Sun on one side, and the disc of fire of the mirror on the other, both surrounded with rainbow-hued haloes and flanked by sun-dogs in a hazy sky.
Sikon
Jedi Knight

Post by Sikon »

Here are the rest of my favorite image links collected over time: :P

As before, none of these pictures were created by myself; see artist names.

Frank Hettick: Jupiter's moon Callisto (a moon almost as big as the planet Mercury)

David Aguilar: 3 small moons around Neptune, newly discovered in 2003

NASA: Space habitat

Michael Christopher: Space habitat

Book jacket illustration of Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke: Space habitat

Steve Biggs: Space habitat

Rick Guidice: Space habitat zero-g section

Alexander Preuss: Advanced civilization space city

Kim Poor: Extraterrestrial planet with bright nearby stars

Brian Smallwood: Saturn's moon Enceladus

Keeth Veenenbos: Saturn's moon Titan

Al Globus / Bryan Yager: Illustration of dumbbell space habitat rotating for gravity

The rate of rotation in the above image must have been exaggerated for illustrative purposes.

Actually a dumbbell space habitat could rotate less often than once a minute.

Also, the dumbbells could be domes a little like the following, connected by long cables:

Technically, the above is a Star Trek Voyager: Species 8472 training station.

However, it is included here to imply how the ends of a dumbbell space habitat could be domes.

Water radiation shielding would allow transparency.

Such domes could have a great view with almost any terrain imaginable inside.

Inner-Space / jay88: Space landscape

Swaroop R: Space landscape

Kerem: Futuristic city on extraterrestrial world

Frank Hettick: Neptune's moon Triton

The above covers all that I imagine posting.

But sometimes similar images can be found by clicking on the pictures.
[/url]
[/url]Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever.

― Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

You keep on amazing us Sikon.. Seeing these images makes me wish I was born a few hundred years later so that I had a chance to see these things with my own eyes.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Dammit. I read the title as space pirates for some inexplicable reason. Oh well the space pictures are still pretty.
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

They look cool, but those big space habitats sans thick steel walls and bulkheads, well, give me shivers. They look like a small asteroid could poke a hole in it easily. Bad place to be if a war breaks out, or the asteroid defense systems malfunction.

I'd much rather a space habitat's interior to look more like the halls of the Death Star than anything else. Sorry.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Sikon
Jedi Knight

Post by Sikon »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :D

To add a little to Destructionator XIII's good points about meteoroids, the figures that a NASA study determined are here:
1975 Space Station (Space Habitat) Study wrote:Loss of atmosphere because of puncture by meteoroids is not a serious threat. In habitats of the size considered in this study, at least a day would be required to lose 60 percent of the atmosphere through a hole one meter in diameter - the size of hole that would be blasted by a meteoroid only once in 10,000,000 years. Smaller meteoroids might be responsible for small leaks, but the requirement for safe habitation under these circumstances is simply a regular (e.g., monthly) program for detecting and repairing such leaks. A more detailed analysis of the meteoroid hazard is given in appendix A.
Of course, the particular figure in the quote is only an estimate for one space habitat design, so it would vary depending upon habitat type, location, etc. But the overall aspect is that the frequency of objects large enough to get through the shielding structure is miniscule in the vastness of interplanetary space.

One may note that this is a different situation from a spacestation of today in low-earth orbit, both because there isn't the locally concentrated manmade space junk farther out and because the space habitat is a more robust multi-million-ton structure.

Though objects like the Moon are heavily cratered, almost 100% of the craters are millions or commonly billions of years old.
[/url]

― Konstantin Tsiolkovsky