best legacy musicians

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

best legacy musicians

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

children of one time popular musicians, who are good in their own right.

1. Jason Bonham (son of Led Zepplin drummer, and an ass kicking drummer in his own right)
2. Bob Seager (good rock and roll musician, and completely different from his father.)
3. Jacob Dylan (Wallflowers, very fun to listen to, and a much better singer than his dad (who can't sing, but sure can write)
4. Zak Starkey (The Who, Oasis; The son of Beatle Ringo Starr, taught how to play drums by Keith Moon, though refusing membership in either Oasis, and The Who, is both group's regular drummer)
5. The Lennon brothers: (completely different in any way, each with their own issues about their dad, but they are both very skilled in their own rights)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I've bought a few albums by Rufus Wainwright (son of folk singers Kate McGarrigle and Loudon Wainwright III ) and enjoy them quite a bit.
The Yosemite Bear

Sriad wrote:I've bought a few albums by Rufus Wainwright (son of folk singers Kate McGarrigle and Loudon Wainwright III ) and enjoy them quite a bit.
I can't hear his music without "Rufus is a Titman" by Loudon Wainwright III comming up and putting me in giggles.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Arlo Guthrie!
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Nancy Sinatra is amazing. So's Dweezil Zappa. And I'm hoping that Wolfgang Van Halen will be too, since Van Halen are coming to Calgary in December. :D
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Drewcifer wrote:Arlo Guthrie!
I suspected, but didn't know until now that he was related to Woody Guthrie.
I fucking love The City of New Orleans.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

I just was at a Livingston Taylor concert last night--he's better than his brother, and has an amazing vocal range. For those of you in the know: the difference between his head voice and chest voice is imperceptible. Fantastic showman as well--very funny guy, and teaches at Berkelee.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Glocksman wrote:
Drewcifer wrote:Arlo Guthrie!
I suspected, but didn't know until now that he was related to Woody Guthrie.
I fucking love The City of New Orleans.
Some trivia about that awesome song:

-- it's a cover! It was originally written and performed by Steve Goodman, who wrote it on a long train trip with his wife. Apparently, he really did sit around and play cards etc., so the lyrics are true-to-life, not just fanciful poetic words.

-- Supposedly the morning news show, Good Morning America, was named from the lyrics. (Cool, huh?)

-- Although "Alice's Restaurant" is the song most people associate with Arlo Guthrie, "The City of New Orleans" was his only charting hit.

If you ever get the chance to see Alro Guthrie live, run, don't walk, to get tickets. He is truly amazing in concert. I got to see him once and it was several hours of just him and his guitar. He was so warm and personable I felt like I hanging out at his house for jam, not in a room with a few hundred other people. As well, as fate would have it, he performed Alice's Restaurant that night -- it lasted about 45 minutes!! Besides seeing B.B. King and The Clash way back in the day, it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

I meant to include a link to an article about the recording session:

http://mixonline.com/recording/intervie ... ries_city/
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

YT300000 wrote:Nancy Sinatra is amazing.
Holy wow. I never realised before that she was Frank Sinatra's daughter. Crazy.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
YT300000 wrote:Nancy Sinatra is amazing.
Holy wow. I never realised before that she was Frank Sinatra's daughter. Crazy.
And there's also Frank Jr., who I've heard does very good performances of his father's music.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
The Yosemite Bear

Also Joey Sumner is opening her acoustic sets for the Police tour. God she looks just like her dad did when he was younger....