Paper models

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Paper models

Post by Bounty »

I've dabbled in paper models from time to time, but I don't really have the patience or the coordination to do them right. This is my latest attempt; making Trek miniature from office supplies may not yield pretty results, but at least it's cheap:

It's... the only one I have now, since most of these tend to break up during cleaning after a week or so.

So, does anyone else do this? Is anyone actually *good* at it?
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Nice.

Once I tried to make an ISD out of paper, but I failed, I only got the wedge part right, everything near the bridge was complete failure that I could not look at it anymore and destroyed it.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I had a collection of Fiddler's Green WWI paper aircraft models about ten years ago; it's quite the trick to get them looking good.

Always try and get fold lines to hide any and all uncontrolled surfaces, and be sure to perforate the dotted lines with an X-acto knife for their entire length, other than that, I don't know many tips to hand on.

I have heard of some people using CA glue to stiffen the paper before beginning construction, which also allows you to sand down any annoyances.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Where do you get these sorts of things?
XXXI
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

My HMVS Cerberus is still waiting for its keel to be laid down - I started once, but cut the glueing fins to bend the wrong way. Good thing I'm not a shipwright ;-)

Some more free models can be found here

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

If you can stomach being on 4chan, /po/ has some good stuff.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Phantasee wrote:Where do you get these sorts of things?
You Google. There used to be a webring but I think it's dead.

This particular model is from here.