TTA Avery Hornet Finished

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

sotoolslinger
Youngling

TTA Avery Hornet Finished

Post by sotoolslinger »

Mostly
My first true scratchbuild. How do y'all like it?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: TTA Avery Hornet Finished

Post by Thanas »

I have to admit I do not know what TTA is.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I don't know what it is either.. but it LOOKS awesome, judging by the picture in the background you did a VERY good job of following faithfully to the source material. Whatever it is.
Congrats Bra!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Now that is awesome, you've knocked it out the park. How the hell did you do the decals? Painted or printed and stuck on?
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
sotoolslinger
Youngling

Post by sotoolslinger »

The Terran Trade Authority was a fictional organization created by Stewart Cowley in the late in the late '70's early '80's. He published 4 books under his own name. This one is from "Spacecraft 2000 to 2100 AD". They were basically coffee table books done along the lines of Janes military books. He took sci-fi artwork and made up a backstory for each spaceship incorporating the whole into a timeline of development.
I completely scratchbuilt this model as I just could not find the right shapes to kitbash her together. The stenciling and paint are a combo of paint and waterslide decals.
Here is the photobucket so you can see the buildup from start to finish.
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50 ... %20Hornet/
I have one other ship from the book completed and am working on a third.
I am very glad y'all like her as I have wanted to build this for about 30 years.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Ooooh, very very fantastic work. I proudly have a copy of 2000-2100 on my bookshelf - just about the only scifi my (artist) grandmother ever had around. Lots of daydreaming these boats as a kid.

What's your other work, and what's #3 going to be?
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Sadly, my dog destroyed my copy of that same book, but hell yes, awesome job there.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
sotoolslinger
Youngling

Post by sotoolslinger »

Thanks y'all. I previously built the Alphan Stingray
I am currently working on the Proximan Shark
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

It's very colourful. :)

Honestly I find it very distracting, but the overall shape and design is pretty cool. I trust it's faithful to the book's depiction of it? I don't know anything at all about the source material.
sotoolslinger
Youngling

Post by sotoolslinger »

It's pretty close to the original artwork. I took some liberties with the small details. There are only two views of the ship and they make use of forced perspective so the overall shape is as close as I could get it just eyeballin.
The markings are different in that I did not try to exactly duplicate what is in the painting. I got everything in the same places but I basically scavenged about 10-12 diferent decal sheets for the small bits.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Wait you modeled that from scratch? Man, that's hardcore. I've tried it before and I wish I could get results like that.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

That's pretty impressive. Keep it up! :)
sotoolslinger
Youngling

Post by sotoolslinger »

Thanks. Yep she is a total scratchbuild. The others are mostly scratched but use a larger percentage of model parts. The Proximan Shark also has the advantage of using 2 turkey basters :twisted: