World War I in color

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

World War I in color

Post by Faram »

[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I posted that allready not so long ago ;)
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Either they are actual WW1 color pics,pics from a movie or recently colorised pics
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Montcalm wrote:Either they are actual WW1 color pics,pics from a movie or recently colorised pics
I'd hazard a movie: nearly all of them are in the sun, no wheather here. Everything looks too pristine. Still... some have a definite colored in look while the people certainly look the part as well. I'm ---- ambivalent.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

i'd say either reinactment or photoshopped, but otherwise not bad.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

They look colorized to me.

EDIT:
In fact, there was a documentary released a while back with all-colorized WWI photos, so there's nothing inherently implausible about it.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

While they look similar to a colour process that was available at the time, they're off by enough that they look quite fake.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

If you go further down that page, it says that those pictures are from a French archive that was digitally colorized.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

If you look (gasp) even further down the thread, it's said that they were actually taken in color using an early chromatic photography method.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Seggybop wrote:If you look (gasp) even further down the thread, it's said that they were actually taken in color using an early chromatic photography method.
But it doesn't look right. It's off.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

So they were digitally colorized. Spanky, BTW, could you provide an example of real WWI color photos? I'm mildly interested in photography and I'd appreciate a link.

I'm almost certain I've seen that pic of the Sengelese sitting around in black and white, so I doubt they're fake.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

If they were taken using an early and probably imperfect method, and have also been around for about 90 years, I would be more suspicious if the color wasn't a bit off.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

No, by "off," I mean that it doesn't look right to be the actual process at the time. I've seen images of modern photographs done using the same process, and it looks similar but doesn't exactly match up. These photographs simply look colourised rather than using an actual process.