Has this worked?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Has this worked?

Post by 2000AD »

OK, i'm trying to get a flame like pattern on these ships. I think it looks ok, but i want a second opinion as my ego sometimes clouds my vision.

I'm going to be tiying it up a bit, so it's just the general idea that i need to check. I'm also not expecting to paint to some really high standard, just regular average standard like i normally do.

Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

That is horrific! LOL! It looks like emporer Ming's ship! GO FLASH GO!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

ah well.

I think the resolution is too big. The ship is only about 9cm long so most of the detail your seeing there you'd have to get up close to see.

Sounds like i've got some major work in store to tidy it up.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Oh. It's a miniature? I'm sure it's fine then. Give us a normal, zoomed out shot! It was hjust that, up close...you know...a bit bright, is all.

.....GO FLASH GO!
Tranan
Jedi Knight

Post by Tranan »

The fron needs som more work. too brigt
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

I definitely think it looks off because of how close the shot is. You said yourself you're not looking for something amazing, and it's just hard to see the overall look of the job when all you can see are the minute details.

I demand a zoomed-out shot.

Fear my wrath.

:D
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Here's the same shot but scaled down a bit, i'll get a zoomed out when my digi cameras battery has recharged

The front needs some more work. too bright
Now if i was being a fluff manic i could avoid any extra work. The prow of Imperial ships are the most heavily armoured area so if i wanted i could say i painted it that way so that it attracts fire away from the more vunerable parts.

But i'm going to be tidying it up so i might as well make it a little less bright, though i think the flash might have someting to do with that as well.
Hammerman! Hammer!
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Chardok wrote:That is horrific! LOL! It looks like emporer Ming's ship! GO FLASH GO!

What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE! ALL WEAPONS!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

On first glance I'd suggest an ink wash to dull it down a bit and get shadows into the crevices. Dilute a dark ink with water and brush it lightly over the model.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

How do you say "Ka me ha me ha" in latin? You can call the ship "His Imperial Hadoken of Righteous Violence".

It looks cool, but I would have sugested that you undercoat it with bright blue or bright yellow and then drybrush the reds and oranges on, to give it more of a "glowing from the inside" look to it.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

I like it. Though I second the cries of darkening it slightly.

Fear my wrath.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

The Most Righteous God Emperor's Nerf Football of Pwnaration.

I like the idea, but I agree with the darkening it with the ink wash.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Looks like some darkening and a bit of washing is in order then.
Hammerman! Hammer!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I still want to do shark teeth

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

Clean up the front a bit and maybe paint in the larger weapons an appropriate color.

So, is this thing gonna fight Chaos after it bombards small planets with "hot hail?"
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Please post the results. I'm curious to see how it turned out.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett