Sizer (Violinist of Hameln)- DONE

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Sizer (Violinist of Hameln)- DONE

Post by Pu-239 »

EDIT:
Done, added background, and raytracing for the metal parts. 1 hour, 16 minutes, 16.19 seconds rendering time (niced the process up though for smooth multitasking). Rendered background and foreground(w/ alpha channel) seperately just in case the background didn't come out right.
[1600x1200 version]: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19881672/

=========================================
Sizer from Violinist of Hameln (still have to do wings, legs, and hands... ugh. ).

Screenshot for comparison:
Last edited by Pu-239 on 2005-06-27 07:32pm, edited 6 times in total.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Sweet! More Violinist of Hameln fans!! Oh how we do show up in the oddest of places XD;;.

I like it, she looks very cool! Going off the anime though I take it and not the manga? I got the neatest Sizer pan cel recently; PM me if you'd like to see sometime. And seeing as it's anime, you're going to have them be red wings, right, not white?
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Yeah, red. Oh, and the user known as Hamel is obviously another fan.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Added wings- tedious and took forever (also forever to render). Got sloppy with the feathers near the top of the wings.

gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Post by gizmojumpjet »

What software are you using for modeling?
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Blender: http://www.blender.org -it's free, and does the job, though somewhat of a pain to do more complex stuff.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Try rendering it with cel shading.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Different angle, changed expression somewhat to be slightly more serious, which is more in-character for anime version:

Cel shaded (doesn't work too well, since shading isn't consistent around eyes and wings for some reason, and it takes a whole hour to render on my PIII-550 (Blender doesn't do distributed compiling for a single frame :( ), and since it's messed up I'm not willing to wait another hour for it to complete):

Same as above but w/ regular shading:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/19725615/

Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

The last one looks better, since you somehow got rid of that annoying smoothing error on the nose. Mind posting a wireframed ortho?
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Wow, she looks excellent! I really like how the wings turned out, and you got the style into 3D format extremely well! I never thought Mr. Watanabe's style would work well for 3D renderings, but you do it very well. That's awesome work! :D :D
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Julhelm wrote:The last one looks better, since you somehow got rid of that annoying smoothing error on the nose. Mind posting a wireframed ortho?

If you're talking about the first one, I think the error is the lock of hair in front of the nose.
Wow, she looks excellent! I really like how the wings turned out, and you got the style into 3D format extremely well! I never thought Mr. Watanabe's style would work well for 3D renderings, but you do it very well. That's awesome work! Very Happy Very Happy
:P I do have problems getting spherical eyes to fit in the head though, which makes eye rotation a bit harder, so I cheated a bit using ovalish ones.

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Done (sans background and scythe lettering)!!!!!!1
http://www.deviantart.com/view/19835787/

Wings are a bit small, and the arms a little too skinny (rigging on lower arms for twisting isn't done too well, and is only on the left arm). Also, a bit of the wing flesh (which somewhat resembles a chicken wing ;-) ) is poking out of the feathers.

Took 30 minutes to render, and framerate dropped to <10FPS with feather and hair layers visible... I need a better computer to do 3D work, as a PIII-550 w/ TNT2 GPU is woefully inadequate for anything close to high-poly (feathers/wings)...

And, I'm now done whining. :P

Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

yay, VoH fans!

god, it's been ages since I saw that show.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Done!!!

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Awesome!! I really love it :luv:! She looks wonderful; I especially like her wings and you did a great job on the sythe! Looks just like her too, which is great. I adore VoH, but I have a terrible time mimicing the style (so I don't :oops: )
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Pick wrote:Awesome!! I really love it :luv:! She looks wonderful; I especially like her wings and you did a great job on the sythe! Looks just like her too, which is great. I adore VoH, but I have a terrible time mimicing the style (so I don't :oops: )
Thanks!

EDIT:
I think the wings need to be roughly 1.5x larger, and the legs longer to be really accurate to the anime, but nobody seems to have noticed :shifty eyes:...

The scythe I wasn't sure about, since in the movie and manga (only read the first 6 from http://abildsoe.com/manga/ :( ) the scythe has the whole name written on it, while in the anime only the S is written, even in shots that are supposed to have lots of detail.

The badge I did decide to put some detailing in, since a green blank badge would just be strange (doesn't matter since it isn't too visible even in the large version).

EDIT2: Oh, and there were some problems with twisting the lower left arm so the hand would face upwards

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Pu-239 wrote:
Pick wrote:Awesome!! I really love it :luv:! She looks wonderful; I especially like her wings and you did a great job on the sythe! Looks just like her too, which is great. I adore VoH, but I have a terrible time mimicing the style (so I don't :oops: )
Thanks!

EDIT:
I think the wings need to be roughly 1.5x larger, and the legs longer to be really accurate to the anime, but nobody seems to have noticed :shifty eyes:...

The scythe I wasn't sure about, since in the movie and manga (only read the first 6 from http://abildsoe.com/manga/ :( ) the scythe has the whole name written on it, while in the anime only the S is written, even in shots that are supposed to have lots of detail.

The badge I did decide to put some detailing in, since a green blank badge would just be strange (doesn't matter since it isn't too visible even in the large version).

EDIT2: Oh, and there were some problems with twisting the lower left arm so the hand would face upwards
The sythe does have her full name in the manga, the whole manga, but for animation purposes it was cut down in the anime (which as is clear was EXTREMELY low-budget.) That's really a shame, because seeing her flail it around in the manga is completely badassed. It's too bad you've only read the scanlations; Violinist of Hameln the manga gets MUCH better later (though the ending's meh.) I actually bear the anime much anger in some regards, however, such as not doing Lute's backstory correctly AT ALL (HELLWORTHY trespass!) ... Plus it doesn't even have some of my favorite characters, who were introduced later (Vocal, Pick, Orgel, non-mishymashy Chestra, Oboe who doesn't look like a gay butler, etc.)

As for the wings, I think I agree; they were drawn very, very large in the anime and that might be good to recognize. Detail on the badge of Hameln is also good; it's just not the same without that crazy wonky birdish thing on it :P. I know her arms must be tough; in VoH, the characters were drawn as being extremely skinny, in both anime and manga and it sometimes seems a bit awkward to those unfamiliar with that.

Again, love her!
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I can't make the wings bigger- my CPU is turning to slag as it is (I'd probably do better w/ less feathers that are larger- hand positioning hundreds of small feathers isn't the best way to go about this) :cry: ... anyway they do seem smaller in the opening sequence (something quite irritating is how the dimensions of stuff in anime vary- heck, it's true of Star Trek too). I'll probably rerender when I get a better computer next year or something (or can anybody else who knows Blender help? I'm looking at Antares)...

Anyway, added lettering, made legs longer, and background less dreary (per recommendations on Elysiun) and will post again tomorrow.

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I don't like this version, doesn't have the right mood- currently rendering old version w/ new lettering.

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Edited link above to new version w/ new lettering

Oops... too big (forgot to scale after cropping)- oh well.