Good songs you never want to hear again

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Good songs you never want to hear again

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

There are some songs out there, upon first listening to, you think are great. But, over time, you hear it wherever you go, and eventually, you reach the point where you're sick of it. It's a good, inspired song, but it was, as the say, played into the ground. My candidates are:

Any song featured in a car commerical. I don't know why this happens with car commercials more than ads for other stuff.

"Clocks" by Coldplay- Probably something to do with every seventh grader in the country being able to play the piano part that opens the song.

"A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton- See above.

"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood- I blame it being used as the go-to song to put in movie trailers.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Pretty much everything by Evanescence. They got played on the radio so much I simply wound up despising them.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

No no, this thread asks for songs. Evanescence is a chick whining about the fact that no one likes her set to a guitar rift.
:D
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Even the few good new popular songs out there quickly grow tiresome for me... because they are popular, which means they get played approximately seventeen times a day.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Spyder wrote:No no, this thread asks for songs. Evanescence is a chick whining about the fact that no one likes her set to a guitar rift.
with a healthy serving of Jesus, no less. Goddamn, I can't believe I wasted $15 on that disc.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Pretty much every Billy Joel song ever written.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
with a healthy serving of Jesus, no less. Goddamn, I can't believe I wasted $15 on that disc.
Jesus is like the soy source of the music industry. It gets added when they run out of better ideas.
:D
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

oh, I almost forgot: Redneck Woman GAHHHHH! DIE! I make mix discs for my wife to listen to in the car, and I included that song on one, and every time i drive the black car that goddamn disc is in the player. *Blows up Gretchen Wilson as well as most of Missouri.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Chili Can Carne.

Anything by Natalie Imbruglia, Will Smith, Green Day, or Lenny Kravitz.

That one Country song with the words "Way on down by the Chattanooch, it gets hotter than a Hootchey Cooch." :wtf:

(I know my tastes are about 7 years out of date, but I purposely avoid the radio as much as I can, now.)
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Col. Crackpot wrote:oh, I almost forgot: Redneck Woman GAHHHHH! DIE! I make mix discs for my wife to listen to in the car, and I included that song on one, and every time i drive the black car that goddamn disc is in the player. *Blows up Gretchen Wilson as well as most of Missouri.
You thought that was a good song to begin with? At some point, you convinced yourself "wow, this isn't a total piece of shit"?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

All Star by Smash Mouth, I haven't heard that song since middle school yet I can still recite the lyrics.

EDIT: Oh and most Green Day songs that make it to the radio.
Last edited by Anarchist Bunny on 2005-06-21 06:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Joe wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:oh, I almost forgot: Redneck Woman GAHHHHH! DIE! I make mix discs for my wife to listen to in the car, and I included that song on one, and every time i drive the black car that goddamn disc is in the player. *Blows up Gretchen Wilson as well as most of Missouri.
You thought that was a good song to begin with? At some point, you convinced yourself "wow, this isn't a total piece of shit"?

I think it had something to do with the fact that Gretchen Wilson is hot as fuck... in a hillbilly sort of way. Also, I really don't listen to country (maybe the occasional George Jones or Kenny Rogers) so I'm not really a good judge of shit-kickin' music to begin with.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

This doesn't happen to me often, as I don't listen to the radio. All the music I listen to is word of mouth type stuff.

Definitely helps :D
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Rammstien Freur frei, or frankly most of their shock rock stuff. They've rather bizarrly moved on to some more interesting stuff.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I shot the Sheriff

No Woman, No cry

Get Up, Stand Up

Buffalo Soldier

Iron Lion Zion

Stir it up
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

The acoustic version of Layla by Eric Clapton.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

"Halleluja" (sp) by Rufus Wrainwright (sp again.)

I used to love it; it was great in Shrek. Then all of a sudden, everyone was playing that goddamn song and it just began to grate on me like I was chedder at a fat person's house. :P
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Boulevard of Broken Dreams - GreenDay.

It's a good song...unstil somebody puts a radio in the girl's bathroom of my dorm (by which I lived) and the radio station sees fit to play it at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY of EVERY day! :evil:
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'll also have to add ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down", though it wouldn't have gotten annoying nearly as fast if I knew who the hell they were talking about when they said "Don't bring me down, Bruce". And even if I did, it would still be a wierd lyric to me.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Bryan Adams - Every Thing I Do I Do It For You or Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Arround, both great songs, yet both spent so long at #1 i grew to hate them.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Pretty much every Billy Joel song ever written.
Hey, I could listen to We Didn't Start the Fire until my ears bleed and be happy.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.