A few 3d things:

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

A few 3d things:

Post by lPeregrine »

Links only, since I have a habit of rendering things at far higher resolution than I probably should. Most of these are just images to show off the model, I'm much better at making the models than putting them into a good scene.

1) Snale: (yes, it's supposed to be spelled that way).

http://forum.gamingsource.net/index.php ... st&id=1822

The snale used as a birthday card for the friend whose joke inspired it:

http://forum.gamingsource.net/index.php ... st&id=2018

2) Freighter (still WIP)

http://www.habasanfleet.com/wayfarer2.jpg

http://www.habasanfleet.com/wayfarer1.jpg

3) Fighter (95% finished, may go back and fix the textures someday)

http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs5/i/2004/28 ... egrine.jpg

4) Bomber (still very early WIP)

http://www.habasanfleet.com/bomber5.jpg
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

The engines on the bomber look detailed and nice. Can't wait to see it finished and unwrapped.

Snail thingy looks cute, and the freighter looks suitably 2001-ish.

I can't seem to access the fighter pic at all.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Julhelm wrote:I can't seem to access the fighter pic at all.
Hm, works fine for me, not sure why it wouldn't be available... anyway, here's an alternate link:

http://www.habasanfleet.com/contestwip15.jpg
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Needs a lot more texture detail IMO. Some panel weathering would break up the low-polyness of the fuselage. What size is the unwrap?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Ha ha ha, more power to the SNALE!!! :lol:

I like the freighter with it´s the beam and the little rods to which the cargo is attached but it could use some serious edge chamfering on the front hull.

Nice model of the fighter (the fist link doesn´t work here either, no permission to access page)

The bombers engines look very promising.

Are these going to be models for games or can you waste away polygons?
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

try to cut-n-paste the link.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

salm wrote:I like the freighter with it´s the beam and the little rods to which the cargo is attached but it could use some serious edge chamfering on the front hull.
Yeah, that's one of the things still left to do on it. To make aligning things easier (object snap in autocad), I leave the edge rounding and hull plates as the last thing I do before texturing.
Are these going to be models for games or can you waste away polygons?
They're intended for high-resolution still images (therefore the high detail). They could probably be used for animation, but they're not too efficient for something where a few minutes extra per frame actually matters. And I'd say I'm wasting polygons.... the starships are 150k-200k polys. Kind of hard to see from the angles I posted, but there's a ton of tiny details modeled just because I can.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Youd made these in Autocad? :shock:
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

salm wrote:Youd made these in Autocad? :shock:
Yep. I first learned 3d modeling in my high school "house plans 101" class. So Autocad is what I'm used to, and for mechanical stuff like starships it works pretty well. I like not having to worry about mesh errors or polygon placement. The snale of course was pure 3dsmax.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Your designs look nice and quite StarWars-ish, particularly the fighter and bomber. I notice the bomber appears to be missing its top rear deck however.

How easy is AutoCAD's learning curve? Remember, I'm the computer-aided-design equivalent of Alan Shepard transitioning from a Mercury capsule to an Imperial Star Destroyer...
Image Image
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

lPeregrine wrote:
salm wrote:Youd made these in Autocad? :shock:
Yep. I first learned 3d modeling in my high school "house plans 101" class. So Autocad is what I'm used to, and for mechanical stuff like starships it works pretty well. I like not having to worry about mesh errors or polygon placement. The snale of course was pure 3dsmax.
I like Autocad, but I'm stuck w/ Blender due to it's costs (though I think Blender does a better job of rendering).

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:How easy is AutoCAD's learning curve? Remember, I'm the computer-aided-design equivalent of Alan Shepard transitioning from a Mercury capsule to an Imperial Star Destroyer...

Not much harder than any other 3d software. The main problem is the lack of tutorials, since it's so rarely used for 3d art (it's mainly a 2d drafting program). And it uses a completely different method of modeling than most software, so tutorials are hard to modify. I had classes to learn the 2d side, but I pretty much taught myself how to build things in 3d through long trial and error.

Oh, and expect to use a lot of text commands and precise measurements. This can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on how you work.
I like Autocad, but I'm stuck w/ Blender due to it's costs (though I think Blender does a better job of rendering).
Much better job. Autocad's renderer is obsolete by about 10 years. I never use it for anything, all my stuff gets imported into 3dsmax for rendering.

And to add to that advice, if you do pick autocad for your modeling software, you'll need another program to render with. Getting decent results with autocad alone is not possible, the renderer is just too old and hasn't been updated in years.