Best-of Albums.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Well, what fraction of your collection is best-of?

None at all. Their hits are overplayed!
11%
Maybe 10%. When I have a hankering, y'know?
33%
10-30%
28%
30-60%. What can I say, I've got taste.
28%
60-90% Anything else these groups put out is crap.
No votes
90-100% You know, I'm starting to feel old...
No votes

Total votes: 18

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Best-of Albums.

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

You know what I'm talking about. When a record company dredges through its catalogue and puts together all the songs from a given band that ever had airplay and packs them up with a little blurb on the liner notes about the history of the band, and maybe some remarks from one of the band members who hasn't somehow died of a drug overdose/gone solo/joined another band in an entirely different genre/is currently working as a night shift manager at 7-11 after blowing his fortune snorting coke off the asses of prostitites.

My question to you folks is about how much of your music collection is made up of Best-of albums? Or even live concert albums where they just happen to be performing all their greatest hits. And I mean a best-of album for a specific band, rather than compilations of different artists.

I ask this because, looking through my music collection, I find that 40 out of the 100 or so albums I have happen to be best-of collections, and at least one of them motivated me to pick up the rest of the artist-in-question's catalogue.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Well, I have the Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits album and a couple of AC/DC live albums, but I think that's it.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Best-of Albums.

Post by General Zod »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:\

My question to you folks is about how much of your music collection is made up of Best-of albums? Or even live concert albums where they just happen to be performing all their greatest hits. And I mean a best-of album for a specific band, rather than compilations of different artists.
Very few. On the rare circumstances I buy a concert or best of album, it's typically because they add new material to existing songs, or it sounds much better than the original (in the case of live albums). Or, on the rare chance that I consider the band to be good enough, I'll buy a concert or best of album to add to my collection.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't think it amounts to 10 percent but there are a number of 'Best of's in my collection.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I have a few, probably around 5 or so out of roughly 200 CDs. With some artists there's so much filler on their albums that it's not worth buying them separately to get all the songs you like. That's when I buy their greatest hits albums. In rare cases the musician has such a huge catalogue of material that you don't even know where to start, so you buy the "best of" to get a feel for them and slowly fill out the collection from there.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

I love "Best Of" compilations. Why would I want to buy a whole "Dexy's Midnight Runners" CD to just get "Come On Eileen"? :wink:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Less than 10%. I'm a completist, really.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

About 22%, I usually get them to start off a collection. (Usually with rock)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

I have a couple of greatest hits albums (Journey, Bob Seeger, Queen) and some boxed sets (Jimmy Buffett, Led Zeppelin). I love live albums. Some of my all time favorite albums are live: Jimmy Buffett, You Had To Be There! recorded in Atlanta in the late 70's. It's out of print and i only have it on Cassette.... Phish, A Live One... and who can forget The Moody Blues at The Red Rocks.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

I'm about 10 percent, I've got one or two "best of" albums. (The Doors & Black Sabbath) mostly getting my play.

My sister on the other hand goes nuts for them. Most of her cd collection is made up of "best of" albums. Then she goes and dl's all the groups regular albums and burns them. And it usually doesn't matter if she really likes the band or not. My dad had a Guess Who best of album, she didn't really like them, but ended up "stealing" it from my dad because of how much she played it.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

the .303 bookworm wrote:About 22%, I usually get them to start off a collection. (Usually with rock)
22%? That seems a rather random percentage to cite.

I think mine's probably between 10-15%, with a lot more live albums which are pseudo-greatest-hits than actual greatest hits albums. For instance, I just picked up "Show" by The Cure which is a fantastic live album which just happens to have two of my favourite Cure songs on it. Way better than just a greatest hits collection, since I get to hear the live renditions of those songs plus others I don't know yet. So, booyahs all around.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I have a Jonny Cash, a Dick Dale and a Discocks (that´s obscure Japanese Punk Rock) best of, and i think that´s it.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Zaia wrote:
the .303 bookworm wrote:About 22%, I usually get them to start off a collection. (Usually with rock)
22%? That seems a rather random percentage to cite.
Probably because you can type 22 faster than 20.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Out of the albums that I bought in a shop about a fifth are best of, I have a lot more from my parents and the internet.

Also Do soundtracks count as best of? if not then only about 5-10% of my music counts as best of.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

the .303 bookworm wrote: Also Do soundtracks count as best of? if not then only about 5-10% of my music counts as best of.
Err- I'd say 'no', really. The 'best of' what selection IS the soundtrack? Yes, of course, the music in the movie. But given that soundtracks tend to represent the vast majority to total of a movie's music, that's something of a self-defeating criterion, no?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Batman wrote:
the .303 bookworm wrote: Also Do soundtracks count as best of? if not then only about 5-10% of my music counts as best of.
Err- I'd say 'no', really. The 'best of' what selection IS the soundtrack? Yes, of course, the music in the movie. But given that soundtracks tend to represent the vast majority to total of a movie's music, that's something of a self-defeating criterion, no?
Good point in that case only 5-10% (Mainly rock and the beatle, eltohn jioh and elvis)
Photography
Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

Post by Dooku's Disciple »

I listen to a lot of prehistoric hard rock and metal bands, and often the only way to get their material in a remastered format is to wait for the inevitable best-of or box set (before the Japanese vinyl replica reissues with bonus tracks come out of course).

DD
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

We have the best of 1980-1990s and best of 1990-2000s of U2.

And I have a whole bunch of Best of this and this Trance and Dance stuff on my comp.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Probably about ten percent when you figure in live concerts. I one exactly two greatests hits collections, one double disc and the other triple disc. The former because I like a fair number of their songs but am not that big a fan and the latter because I'm a huge fan and there's a lot of interveiw material, a disc of live stuff with music and discussion, and a couple new songs.

Other than that it's all concert albums and live recordings.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I think, all told, two:

Rage Against the Machine: Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium(best live album ever!)
Rob Zombie: Past, Present, and Future. A solid investment, as it has some hard to find tracks that were only available on movie soundtracks.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Hey Dalt, are those AC/DC live albums any good? It really irks me that there is no "best of" collections for them, and I don't like generally go and buy live albums of bands.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I have...like...2. Aerosmith Greatest hits and Aerosmith "Big Ones" ( I call big ones the "Angel clone album" On account of every song from angel to 1999 was angel with different words.)