Shure Headphones- are the basic e2 models worth it?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Shure Headphones- are the basic e2 models worth it?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

My mum recently met someone who could get her Shure headphones at a 30% discount,
I know that they're suppsoed to have fantastic sound quality, but I'm not sure if It's good enough for me to shell out 70 $ on the base e2c model (I already have a good pair of Sennheiser px 100 headphones, and I'm not sure if the difference is worth it (Especially since normal ear canal headphones tend to slip off my ear).
Anyone have any experience with any of these puppies?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

They sound good and isolate extremely well. That said, your PX100s are pretty good headphones as they are - so if you want isolation they'd be a good purchase, otherwise I'd say stick with the Senns.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Eh? The px's don't have any special isolation, they're standard open large headphones, the Shures are in-ear cannal headphones. :?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sorry, I was being unclear. If you want/need isolation, get the Shures; otherwise your current PX100s are fine.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Spend the dough and get the E4. The E2 is more of a sideways step from the PX 100 than anything else, better in some areas, lagging in others, so overall they're pretty close with a slight edge going to the E2. Move up to the E4 and we're talking about something that'll give a Sennheiser HD600 a run for its money. Buy the E4C, and never upgrade again. It's always cheaper to get it right the first time.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

As far as I'm concerned, almost all of your audio needs as far as input and small scale ouptut go can be satisfied three companies: Shure, Sennheiser, and AKG. All of them make top quality stuff. I've used industry standard mics from all three of them, and they perform exceptionally.

As far as your current delema goes, I'd say personal preference for style and comfort is goning to be the biggest factor, as I doubt that you'll notice much difference in sound quality.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

What should the E4 cost? Also are they comfortable/sturdy in ear phones?
Are they sturdy enough for running, sports, etc...
Photography
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Suggested retail for the E4 is $300, street price is around $200-$250. Very comfortable if you use the foam tips, and no one has reported a broken one yet. Personally I think spending the extra $100 or so is a very worthwhile upgrade, even out of an iPod or other portable the improvement in sound quality is quite significant.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Sorry, 250 $ is out of my price range.
So you say that the E2 ain't that much better than the Sennheiser PX 100? Thanks
Photography
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

DEATH wrote:Sorry, 250 $ is out of my price range.
Sell a kidney on Ebay then, it's not like you need 2 kidneys. Or donate to a sperm bank or sign up for medical testing. What's the worst that could happen? :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote: Sell a kidney on Ebay then, it's not like you need 2 kidneys. Or donate to a sperm bank or sign up for medical testing. What's the worst that could happen? :P
Ask me again when Idon't need to buy a new iPod (Or ICowon 60GB).
Photography