Banjo and Classical Music

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Magnetic
Jedi Knight

Banjo and Classical Music

Post by Magnetic »

For those of you who like a good Banjo, yet still like classical music, Bela Fleck has a CD that he recorded with various artists (who are accompanying him on piano, cello, marimba, guitar, etc, depending on the piece) doing works from Scarlatti, Bach, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Paganini, and a few others. The musicianship is exemplary!

Anyone other than me have this CD?
--->THIS SPACE FOR RENT<---
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

I've heard clips of it, and it was certainly interesting to hear the music transcribed for the banjo. But I'm a classical music purist, so I don't regard it as more than a novelty recording. If I want to hear Chopin, I want to hear it on the piano.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

It sounds like it could be interesting or a novelty. I'll have to see about getting my hands on a copy at some point.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Magnetic
Jedi Knight

Post by Magnetic »

Saurencaerthai wrote:It sounds like it could be interesting or a novelty. I'll have to see about getting my hands on a copy at some point.
Perhaps you may have a music store in your town that uses the system to where you scan the CD into a listening station, and can hear a portion of each song. That would be a good idea. . . . . . . or even finding it on itunes. The CD is called Bela Fleck, perpetual motion. :)
--->THIS SPACE FOR RENT<---
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

begins playing the most terriffying cords known to man.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

I've actually just realised that a banjo sounds pretty much like a harpsichord. I wonder if any banjo player would have the chops to try and transcribe some Scarlatti sonatas or Bach suites into the banjo....
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys