Sufjan Stevens - holy crap, this guy is good

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Joe
Space Cowboy

Sufjan Stevens - holy crap, this guy is good

Post by Joe »

I recently discovered this artist after seeing his album Come on, Feel the Illinoise popping up on a number of Best of 2005 lists and I've been really incredibly impressed. His music is a sort of weird fusion of Vince Guaraldi, indie rock, high school wind band (seriously!), banjo strumming, and folk. He's endeavored to write albums about each of the fifty states, and I hope he succeeds. The songs on the album deal with various aspects of Illinois, from historical events to famous Illini to locations throughout the state. One of them is an impossibly catchy tune about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, another is a somewhat disturbing ballad about John Wayne Gacy, and another is slice of life tune about an encounter with a wasp species native to Illinois.

It's difficult to say what makes the album so good - the arrangements are superb and so well sung that you often have to just rewind the album for a second and take it all in. He's like a band geek with actual creative talent, a good voice and skill as a lyricist.

If you're tired of the usual radio bullshit and you really are looking for something different, give this album a try. You might be surprised (or you may want to kick my ass and demand your money back, as with all other recommendations I make no promises); I want to go to sleep right now, but can't stop listening to this album, that's how good it is.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

I get parts of "Casamir Pulaski Day" stuck in my head a few times a week. It's good stuff. An interesting mix of joyful melodies combined with cheerless lyrics.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

He's definately a Rennaisance man musically. Everything from the arrangement to choices in panning on the recording are rather interesting. Just the recording and mixing techniques is fascinating in unto it's self.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein