Civil War Man's cool old stuff (pic heavy)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Civil War Man's cool old stuff (pic heavy)

Post by Civil War Man »

I decided to show off some of the cool old stuff I have on display in my room. The following pictures are the creme de la creme of the artifacts I have, mostly because they are either hard to find, hard to get, or have some particular value to me.

This is the bayonet to a model 1853 Enfield rifled musket. This was actually one of the first items in my antiques collection, and certainly the first weapon. I bought it at an antique store in Gettysburg, PA, though it was actually originally found at the Antietem battlefield.

This is the type of rifle that bayonet goes to. The Model 1853 3-band Enfield rifled musket. It's a British made rifle used extensively during the American Civil War, particularly in the South (IIRC, only the American-made Springfield was more prevalent). This particular one was made in the year 1863 and is stamped with the British royal coat of arms. Some of the more sharp-eyed musket-savvy among you may notice that it is missing the ramrod and the elevated iron sights. Unfortunately, that was the condition it was in when I bought it.

Here is a medical pouch, used around the time of the Civil War to carry a variety of drugs. The thing that makes it more interesting is in the next picture.

As you can see, it is effectively fully stocked. Unfortunately, most of the labels are faded or illegible, and I sure as Hell am not going to mess around with that crap unless I had a better idea of what I had to do.

Now for something not from the Civil War. Some of you HABers or War Wolves may recognize this. It's a United States Marine Corps utility knife (also known as a K-Bar). Probably made some time around 1942. It belonged to my grandfather, and he had it with him when he hit the beaches of Iwo Jima. He gave it to me a few years back for my birthday, figuring I'd be the one person in the family who'd appreciate it most.

Anyway, back to the Civil War. This type of sword was carried by medical officers (judging from size, I'm guessing about Lieutenant or Captain-level) as part of their dress uniform. Good condition, but long since lost any sort of edge it may have had. It was for formal occasions, so it was not exactly built for battle.

Unlike this one. Though I am unsure of its exact origins, my reference library pegs it as a cavalry saber for enlisted men based on the hilt. Though the curve of the blade makes it look a bit more like an infantry officer's sword. Remarkable condition, which is something you won't find in a 140-year-old sword that is not part of someone's estate (incidentally it was obtained at an estate auction).

As were these two books. They are a copy of the Personal Memoirs of Ulysses Simpson Grant. Personally, I haven't read it, nor to I plan on doing so (you see how thick those books are?). But still, I have a copy of Grant's memoirs.

An inscription in Volume 1 of Grant's Memoirs: "These volumes are dedicated to the American soldier and sailor. U.S. Grant New York City, May 23rd, 1885."

This is something the medical officers actually used (unlike the sword above). It's a bonesaw. When performing an amputation, of the leg for instance, they would use this to cut through the bone.

And then they would give you one of these. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a Civil War-era prosthetic leg. You start with your standard peg-leg (the holes in the sides allow air to flow in to the stump, so it doesn't start to smell or anything). Attach one sturdy spring to the bottom, which in turn is attached to a foot-shaped piece of wood. The wood gives the amputee the ability to continue wearing boots, with the spring giving as close an approximation to an ankle as they could at the time. The tag gives a few details about the leg's origin. I should add that, besides my bedroom, there is likely only one other place where you will see anything like this. And that is the American History Museum at the Smithsonian Institution (I actually saw one there, and was somewhat disappointed that I wasn't able to get something they could not).
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Very nice stuff Civil War Man! And gruesome, too (bonesaw!). I have to say that those swords are pretty damn neat... What do antiques like these usually go for?
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

It's hard to say exactly. For example, the saber (in such good condition) and leg are extremely rare, so you won't find them unless you know where to look (or know someone who knows where to look, in my case).

As for the memoirs, could go from roughly $70 to several hundred, depending on the condition.

The bayonet cost me around $50. The bonesaw would probably cost a comparable amount, give or take (most give). The rifle cost me over $800, and the only reason I got it that low was because of the missing ramrod, broken sights, and some other cosmetic damage. The ones in excellent condition I looked at cost more in the range of $1200-1500.

Yeah, expensive hobby. But of course, this is the prime stuff I've gathered from over 7 years of collecting. Most of the other stuff I have (bullets, buckles, shrapnel, etc) is a lot cheaper, probably as low as a few bucks for some of the small, rusty, common items.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Some damn fine old stuff you've got there CWM. Damn fine.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

You, sir, rock my socks off. The bonesaw itself was worth the price of admission in a slightly gruesome way.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Cool, old stuff :D

Where did you get all that from btw?
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Got it in lots of places. Some from antique stores, some from the internet, plus I have a contact in the South who keeps her eye out for anything cool popping up in estate auctions.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

That cavalry saber looks an awful lot like the one a relative of mine has (or had). Going through old stuff to help him move out, came upon a couple of old swords. Don't know what he did with them though, perhaps they could be worth something.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

My father actually has a musket with bayonet that is still operable. We've got ammo, caps, etc. for it, and have dry-fired it a few times. It's a fun toy. :-D Not to mention good for it's history.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Are all of those vials in the medical pouch full? Most of them seems to contain pills? Are the substances inside original?
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Are all of those vials in the medical pouch full? Most of them seems to contain pills? Are the substances inside original?
Yes, yes, and AFAIK, yes. Though as I said, the labels aren't really readable so I'm not able to say what exactly those pills are.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Civil War Man wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote:Are all of those vials in the medical pouch full? Most of them seems to contain pills? Are the substances inside original?
Yes, yes, and AFAIK, yes. Though as I said, the labels aren't really readable so I'm not able to say what exactly those pills are.
Try taking a few, see what happens! :P

*Note, this post was made entirely in jest.

How many pages are in those Grant memoirs? And are they all handwritten?
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:How many pages are in those Grant memoirs? And are they all handwritten?
You know, the printing press existed back then. :wink:

Volume 1 has 584 pages. Volume 2, including appedices and index, contains 647.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Civil War Man wrote:Yes, yes, and AFAIK, yes. Though as I said, the labels aren't really readable so I'm not able to say what exactly those pills are.
The 4th vial from the bottom inside the right half of the pouch, those tablets look awfully white as opposed to some of the other stuff which has yellowed. Not that it matters, it just stands out.

It would be interesting to take those medicines to a college lab or some such to see just what they are!
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

FSTargetDrone wrote:The 4th vial from the bottom inside the right half of the pouch, those tablets look awfully white as opposed to some of the other stuff which has yellowed. Not that it matters, it just stands out.
Yeah. The yellower ones look that way due to the color of the glass. Not all of them are clear. Some are a semi-transparent colored glass.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Uhm...the monetary value of your collection must be staggering. :shock:

At a guess, I'd say we're looking at something like 30 grand's worth of antiques.
Well played, sir, it's fantastic.

My civil war "collection", however, consists of whopping two Minie balls; one of which is in near perfect condition, but the other my step-grandfather dug out of a tree at the Battle Above The Clouds site circa 1917, and is only recognisable if you know what it is you're looking at.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Re: Civil War Man's cool old stuff (pic heavy)

Post by Master of Cards »

Civil War Man wrote: Image
Now for something not from the Civil War. Some of you HABers or War Wolves may recognize this. It's a United States Marine Corps utility knife (also known as a K-Bar). Probably made some time around 1942. It belonged to my grandfather, and he had it with him when he hit the beaches of Iwo Jima. He gave it to me a few years back for my birthday, figuring I'd be the one person in the family who'd appreciate it most.
Same desgin as of 5 years ago, I see
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

Great stuff. Have you ever shot the musket, by any chance?
They're some of the funnest things to shoot, simply because of the massive noise and smoke they produce when compared to more modern weapons.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Captain tycho wrote:Great stuff. Have you ever shot the musket, by any chance?
Not the old musket. As good a condition as it is in, I'd rather not risk discovering some unforeseen damage by having it blow up in my hands.

I do have a reproduction musket (the exact same model, actually) that I use for reenacting. So far I've only used blanks, but I have toyed with the idea of doing live firing at a range. I'd just have to get my hands on some .577 minie balls.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

More pictures from my armory. This isn't old stuff, however, it is cool. Decided to take and post these pictures from the Heaven thread in testing, so now DGG will know what I will be armed with as a Vishnu-like mutant ninja pirate.

Alright, so I lied when I said all this stuff wasn't old. This is. It was made some time in the 19th century, though I don't have an exact date. The handle is horn, probably antler from some relative of the deer.

This is a tanto. A replica, so it's not really sharp. My sister got it in Spain (because when I think Japanese blades, I think Spain). One of the earlier pieces in my blade collection.

This is a replica of the Spanish king Carlos V's sword. Also obtained in Spain by my sister. Like the tanto, one of the first items obtained in this collection.

This friendly-looking blade is from Ghana. My sister (who at this point you've probably figured out got me started in the blade-collecting hobby) got it while she was in Ghana for an archaeological dig. She didn't find it in the dig, just got it while she was in the country. I remember measuring the blade at some point. IIRC, the blade alone is about 10" long, so it'd cause a bit of a ruckus if you tried to take it through airport security.

Now moving away from stuff my sister picked up in her travels, this is a basket-hilt saber. A replica of a type of sword used sometime around the American Revolution. Scottish in design, if memory serves.

This is a replica of a Civil War-era US Army field officer sword. This particular sword actually makes an appearance in Gods and Generals, though not in the same scene as me. It was used by Stephen Lang, who played Jackson in the movie. Obtained in a roundabout way by my aunt. She knew a guy who knew a guy who was able to secure the sword and pass it along to me. Note: the coloration at the tip is prop blood.

If I ever make it to an officer in reenacting (which will be at least 10-15 years by my estimation), this is the sword I'm going to carry.

This is the biggest item of my collection. The hilt is Irish. The sword is a bastard sword, or hand-and-a-half. For a sense of perspective, the entire length of the Civil War saber shown above (hilt and all) is about as long at the blade on this sword. I had to lay this one on the ground at the foot of my bed and stand on top of my bed in order to get the entire thing into the picture.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Holy Jesus, that's some cool looking stuff. That blade from Ghana looks especially brutal, and gotta give mad props to the Highlander-esque bastard sword.

You maintain quite the collection, CWM; if I had possession of such a thing, the house would probably be cut to ribbons from mock swordfights. :P
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution