The Painting in Adama's Quarters

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zor
Sith Acolyte

The Painting in Adama's Quarters

Post by Zor »

Found on Battlestar Galactica Wiki just recently, the Painting the Captain Adama has in his quarters.

Although it's nice, i dearly hope that the BSG: Caprica does not have Cylons fighting Human Soldiers armed with spears and swords.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

That is incredibly cool.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

TOS:BSG Cylons did carry swords though so it would make sense if the new series had them carry them as well but as a secondary weapon like the original series.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The new centurions wouldn't need swords much, they've got huge claws. The older model, though...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

NecronLord wrote:The new centurions wouldn't need swords much, they've got huge claws. The older model, though...
Sorry I meant that the Cylons in the Caprica series would have them.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

You know, you could imagine that scene as some old style painting about the french or whatnot, just with a few space buildings, armored soldiers and cylons. I think that's incredibly awesome as well that they have that. :P

We just need a cylon general riding a horse with one of those red strip eyes.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Let me look it up when I get home, but I believe Moore made some comments about the painting and it's background in the NBSG season one companion book
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The idea of "This has all happened before..." permeates throughout the show. You can look at that painting and instantly recognise the theme, and how history is cyclical. If there had been a medieval history with medieval Cylons, no doubt they would have fought humans with swords and spears rather than guns and nukes. That's just the nature of their conflict, and the artist no doubt sought to represent that by depicting the current Human Cylon war in such a period. In effect it's saying "We've always been at each other's throats, and we always will."

I wouldn't be surprised if the artist happens to be William Adama himself.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Destructionator XIII wrote:
Stofsk wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the artist happens to be William Adama himself.
Nah, in Bastille Day, Baltar asked if it was a Monclair original. Adama responded that yes, it was, meaning the artist is someone named Monclair.

The battlestar wiki has a page on it too that says this same thing.
Plus, the thing was signed as well. I wrote that before taking a second look at it.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Maybe it's supposed to be a symbolic representation of man fighting the cylons with primitive, throwback technology.
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

I think it's more an artistic choice. The painter probably considered it more visually striking to portray both sides using swords and spears than firearms, which almost certainly would be more accurate. Also, it seems designed to be a romantic or idealized portrayal of that war, or war in general, making it out to be a noble heroic fight rather than the vicious struggle for survival it surely was.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

CDiehl wrote:I think it's more an artistic choice. The painter probably considered it more visually striking to portray both sides using swords and spears than firearms, which almost certainly would be more accurate. Also, it seems designed to be a romantic or idealized portrayal of that war, or war in general, making it out to be a noble heroic fight rather than the vicious struggle for survival it surely was.
Note the armored human soldiers prominent in the center, wearing full combat gear, compared to unarmored soldiers around them. They're all crowded around a dying guy. An analogy to a dying knight-type general perhaps? :P

It certainly is a 'glorified' picture, with the lancewielding colonials on that ruined building, the icon still standing. Damn neat.
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

The Colonials' armor is pretty neat. Looks Imperial Guardis. Interesting that they're drawn with sci-fi-y combat armor but medieval weapons.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It