Gigantic nuclear-powered land battleship

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Melchior
Jedi Master

Gigantic nuclear-powered land battleship

Post by Melchior »

Since, at the time, my nuclear tank was deemed lacking in the over-the-topness department, I decided to draw a new and improved version: the Wank-II Nuclear-powered Land Battleship.
Link the the (quite big) drawing

It is powered by several nuclear reactors, providing redundance.
The main gun is a multi-stage cannon that uses thermonuclear devices (one for each stage) to accelerate a high-yield nuclear shell, with a diameter of several meters, and has intercontinental range.
It is equipped with several point-defense turrets (some are even mounted on the main gun) armed with scramjet nuclear missiles, to stop incoming threats.
The medium guns are single-stage nuclear cannons (I don't know if it is the proper name, how is a such a weapon called?), while the smaller weapon mounted over the cockpit (in the lower left) is an high-powered chemical laser.
The Wank-II also houses a sizeable airwing, and most aircraft models are capable of taking off on its vast deck.

The drawing was made in Freehand, and when I will be sure about the design, I will probably start to texture it.
Last edited by Melchior on 2006-08-03 07:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

That is definately deserving of the name Wank!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

What's it look like from the top? And what are the dimensions?

That huge gun makes it look rather stupid, and totally whacks out the overall scale of it. As it is, it looks like a heavy tank the size of a diesel locomotive.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

Reminds me a bit of the rail tank from the middle of stage 2 of Metal Slug. That, or the bosses of stage 4 or so.
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What's it look like from the top? And what are the dimensions?

That huge gun makes it look rather stupid, and totally whacks out the overall scale of it. As it is, it looks like a heavy tank the size of a diesel locomotive.
Is is actually several hundred meters long, and about one hundred meter tall (only a big target, I know). I don't have a top view, but it is also rather wide.
The gun mount is that big because it has to have a almost prodigious capability to absorb shock from the explosion of the nuclear propellent. It could probably use some more small guns, to help giving it the proper scale.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

TSsh, You want a real land battleship? Try one of these!
Gi-Normious 56k Death!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Melchior wrote:The gun mount is that big because it has to have a almost prodigious capability to absorb shock from the explosion of the nuclear propellent.
I'd like to know what the hell's supporting the thing.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: I'd like to know what the hell's supporting the thing.
Threads. Hidden under several meters thick armored skirts. The Land Battleship is not able to negotiate rough terrain, if it needs to, its ample supply of triple digit megaton level weapons can easily get rid of any obstacle.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It's Dora, only stupider and not built by Nazis.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:TSsh, You want a real land battleship? Try one of these!
Gi-Normious 56k Death!
Didn't I use this one before?

And yes, you don't beat the landbb posted above.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ace Pace wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:TSsh, You want a real land battleship? Try one of these!
Gi-Normious 56k Death!
Didn't I use this one before?

And yes, you don't beat the landbb posted above.
It's possible, I hounestly can't remember where I found that pic.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Melchior wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: I'd like to know what the hell's supporting the thing.
Threads. Hidden under several meters thick armored skirts. The Land Battleship is not able to negotiate rough terrain, if it needs to, its ample supply of triple digit megaton level weapons can easily get rid of any obstacle.
No, not the vessel itself, but the missile turret. If the whole thing is hundreds of meters long, what's preventing the length of the turret from snapping and come crashing down on top of the vessel.

And I think you meant treads, not threads.

Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: No, not the vessel itself, but the missile turret. If the whole thing is hundreds of meters long, what's preventing the length of the turret from snapping and come crashing down on top of the vessel.

Ehm, yes, treads.
The turret is supported by its extreme thickness and by some fictional material science (mass production of carbon nanotubes, for example).
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Melchior wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: No, not the vessel itself, but the missile turret. If the whole thing is hundreds of meters long, what's preventing the length of the turret from snapping and come crashing down on top of the vessel.

Ehm, yes, treads.
The turret is supported by its extreme thickness and by some fictional material science (mass production of carbon nanotubes, for example).
That cannon is going to get ripped right off its mountings by its own recoil, and I don't care what it's made of. You need to redesign the turret so you don't have just one small joint holding the cannon to the rest of the tank. Turrets don't just move big guns, they provide a stable mounting and help absorb recoil, which yours can't do in its present incarnation.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
General Deathdealer
Padawan Learner
Location: In a Thunderhawk enroute to the Blood Angels Battle Barge

Post by General Deathdealer »

From your description of it, it sounds almost like a Bolo.
"Don't fuck with The Mess. Unless you've been there, done that, and have the t-shirt, shut your cakehole." - Me
"By the Blood of Sanguinius" - Blood Angels Battlecry
"The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines." - Anonymous
"This can't be good" - Sherriff Jack Carter
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Shearing forces should increase with mass, which will increase with volume, while the cohesive strength of the material should increase with cross-sectional area. In other words, making it thicker will make it break faster.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Feil wrote:Shearing forces should increase with mass, which will increase with volume, while the cohesive strength of the material should increase with cross-sectional area. In other words, making it thicker will make it break faster.
While this is true, it is not exactly designed with sound engineering as a priority. It mainly needs to look as it would be able to exist, it is probably impossible to design a pratical vehicle around the "land battleship with nuclear propelled shells" concept.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Melchior wrote:
Feil wrote:Shearing forces should increase with mass, which will increase with volume, while the cohesive strength of the material should increase with cross-sectional area. In other words, making it thicker will make it break faster.
While this is true, it is not exactly designed with sound engineering as a priority. It mainly needs to look as it would be able to exist, it is probably impossible to design a pratical vehicle around the "land battleship with nuclear propelled shells" concept.
I invite you go go over to the gaming forum and read the "supreme commander video interview" thread. Oh, watch the video too.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Melchior wrote:
Maybe if you designed it to look more like a battleship rather than a fucking tank, you could...

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Actually, now that I think about it, how does that wank-o-gun elevate? It's got clearence for maybe five degrees, which makes it essentially useless as an artillery piece.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

RedImperator wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, how does that wank-o-gun elevate? It's got clearence for maybe five degrees, which makes it essentially useless as an artillery piece.
Well, its minimun range is enormous, obviously. Furthermore, I decided to rework it somewhat, its design isn't satisfactory.

And I have already seen the new Supreme Commander video.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Melchior wrote:Well, its minimun range is enormous, obviously. Furthermore, I decided to rework it somewhat, its design isn't satisfactory.
It still runs into the same problem you get with turbolasers, e.g., or the guns on an AT-AT: they're limited by line-of-sight, while artillery isn't.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Melchior wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, how does that wank-o-gun elevate? It's got clearence for maybe five degrees, which makes it essentially useless as an artillery piece.
Well, its minimun range is enormous, obviously. Furthermore, I decided to rework it somewhat, its design isn't satisfactory.

And I have already seen the new Supreme Commander video.
Do you even know why modern artillery fires rounds on a ballistic trajectory instead of on a direct line to the target? Because no matter how powerful the gun is, gravity will pull the shell down, and a shell fired on a flat trajectory will run out of space to fall very quickly. You're expending multiple nuclear devices to do the same job an 18th century bronze cannon could.
X-Ray Blues
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

It would make more sense if you just got rid of the damn turret and had nuclear missiles that fired vertically out of the top like on a submarine.

Seriously. I think the fact that that either never crossed your mind or you dismissed it shows that you don't know what the hell you're doing. There's a difference between designing something that's wankish and designing something that's outright stupid.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Indeed, the entire cannon assembly looks fucking terrible in addition to being absolutely horrifically described/justified.

Get the fuck rid of it.