A question of technique(3d modelling related)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tasoth
Sith Devotee

A question of technique(3d modelling related)

Post by Tasoth »

As of now, the Ritter, which I've posted a seperate thread about, is complete from the waist up. Now I have to do the legs and I'm a bit worried and intimidated on this part. So, those of you who are much more skilled then I and have more experience, what is a simple way to start the legs? Once I get them going, I should be able to finish them.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Re: A question of technique(3d modelling related)

Post by Master of Cards »

Tasoth wrote:As of now, the Ritter, which I've posted a seperate thread about, is complete from the waist up. Now I have to do the legs and I'm a bit worried and intimidated on this part. So, those of you who are much more skilled then I and have more experience, what is a simple way to start the legs? Once I get them going, I should be able to finish them.
Boxes
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

I start by using an 8 sided cylinder. Slice it several times on the way up, then pull the new vertices out to form the curve of the thighs and so on. Im not sure what the poly modelling tools are like in sketchup. Stick at it mate.

Once you're comfortable with sketchup, you might want to try moving onto Blender. It's more suited to complex models.
Azrael
Youngling

Post by Azrael »

1) Have you a good Idea of what these legs look like? This sounds like a 'duh' question, but having at least 90% of what you want stored elsewhere (Your head, on paper, etc...) will save you alot of frustration and model-trashing.

2) if you could slice out a 2-d piece of these legs, what would it look like? A square? A circle? A triangle? A rhombus? Make a basic 2-D shape and extrude it. Modify as necessary.
We are the Catholics.
You will be assimilated.
Stop reading Harry Potter.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Acidburns wrote:I start by using an 8 sided cylinder. Slice it several times on the way up, then pull the new vertices out to form the curve of the thighs and so on. Im not sure what the poly modelling tools are like in sketchup. Stick at it mate.

Once you're comfortable with sketchup, you might want to try moving onto Blender. It's more suited to complex models.
Well, I 'acquired' a copy of maya and have the equivalent of a textbook for it, just haven't made it farther then around 80% of the first chapter.

Thanks for all the help guys.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »