Borg vs Firearms

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Borg vs Firearms

Post by Kitsune »

I am currious, I tend to be very against teh idea that borg can adapt to firearms because they have to have encounted a weapon like them. What are others opinions and why?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Even if they could, bullets with KE+shield generator inplanted internally=squish.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Admiral_Handsome
Redshirt

Post by Admiral_Handsome »

The first few borg will be minced. Then they will have adapted and since firearms cannot be tuned to fire at high em spectrum level, we would all die :)
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:The first few borg will be minced. Then they will have adapted and since firearms cannot be tuned to fire at high em spectrum level, we would all die :)
Adapt how? GAT says that even if they had shields that would take it, the kinetic energy would still be transferred into it and cause damage.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Admiral_Handsome
Redshirt

Adapt how? GAT says that even if they had shields that would take it, the kinetic energy would still be transferred into it and cause damage
The borg ship can take the impact of photon topedoes. I therefore (rightly) assumed that this meant the shield were capable of absorbing KE. If the ships have this tech then it is reasonable to assume the drones can have it too. Don't just think of the shields as a solid object that protects but still transfers recoil. Think of them as shock absorbers as well.

Also, Trek universe has dampening fields that remove forces, it may be possible also have a modified defelector dish like the one on a starship. :)
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Then there's S8472, who turned a heck of a lot of drones into sushi. If the Borg could adapt to bullets, they should be able to adapt to being clawed.
Admiral_Handsome
Redshirt

Then there's S8472, who turned a heck of a lot of drones into sushi. If the Borg could adapt to bullets, they should be able to adapt to being clawed.
A fair point. But the borg could not adapt to any of 8472's tech. Their claws must have some of that tech on them :) Like Wolverines adamantium claws but much more high tech :D
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Heres a fun old debate

"Naaameeee one example ooof aaaany booorg droooonneeee eeeevveeeer aaadaaapppptiiing tooo a kinetic aattaaack"

Said slow to make an point

You cannot adapt to a kinetic weapon, you can out of thing air suddenly be immune to any kinetic weapon, kinetic energy must go SOMEWHERE

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Admiral_Handsome wrote:
Adapt how? GAT says that even if they had shields that would take it, the kinetic energy would still be transferred into it and cause damage
The borg ship can take the impact of photon topedoes. I therefore (rightly) assumed that this meant the shield were capable of absorbing KE. If the ships have this tech then it is reasonable to assume the drones can have it too. Don't just think of the shields as a solid object that protects but still transfers recoil. Think of them as shock absorbers as well.

Also, Trek universe has dampening fields that remove forces, it may be possible also have a modified defelector dish like the one on a starship. :)

Wow, a massive starship's shield generators can absorb the recoil imparted to them by a torpedo so a shield generator inside a body can. Brilliant Shirlock.
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Admiral_Handsome wrote:
A fair point. But the borg could not adapt to any of 8472's tech. Their claws must have some of that tech on them :) Like Wolverines adamantium claws but much more high tech :D

:roll:
Bender and God, Futurama
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Mr Bean wrote:Heres a fun old debate

"Naaameeee one example ooof aaaany booorg droooonneeee eeeevveeeer aaadaaapppptiiing tooo a kinetic aattaaack"

Said slow to make an point

You cannot adapt to a kinetic weapon, you can out of thing air suddenly be immune to any kinetic weapon, kinetic energy must go SOMEWHERE
In the Voy episode "One" a advanced drone did have KE shields, so its not impossible. The question is if the current collective has KE shields.

I dont think so but its possible.

In "First Contact" the Borg queen activated some kind of KE field to prevent Data to escape(I thing it was a KE shield, perhaps it was a forcefield?)

And again in "One" when we saw One's KE shield flare up we also saw a field around the drone he fought.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

From the future, espcilly the far future is not the Borgs of Next Gen

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Re: Borg vs Firearms

Post by Robert Walper »

Kitsune wrote:I am currious, I tend to be very against teh idea that borg can adapt to firearms because they have to have encounted a weapon like them. What are others opinions and why?
The most common arguement is that the Borg simply do not possess KE shielding, and that they are vulnerable to these types of attacks. The most noteably example being when Captain Picard in First Contact fired a holographic tommy gun at two drones and killed them with "bullets"(whether said projectiles were really bullets or complex forcefield projections is a matter of debate). Other examples include drones being dispatched by physical attacks, like Worf's Klingon blades and Data's superior strength and speed.

Ultimately, I disagree the Borg are as vulnerable to physical attacks as many submit.

First off, we are made aware of Borg "Tactical" drones in STVOY "Dark Frontier", and they are also mentioned here and there by Seven of Nine during Voyager's trip home. Analysis by the Hansens determined Tactical drones are armored with titanium as opposed to the leather like armor observed in ST:FC. This naturally should make said drones far more resistant to physical attacks. These drones weren't observed in ST:FC, but since the Borg's objective was to assimilate the E-E (hence beam over drones most suited to that task) and that Federation personnel employ energy weapons above all else, this isn't surprising. I doubt anyone would dispute both Worf and Data are unique as Federation personnel, therefore the fact they were more effective against the Borg force deployed on a Federation ship isn't exactly a surprise either.

Second, the assertion that imparted momentun would rip internal implants out or cause terminal internal damage is, IMO, a rather hasty conclusion. The fact that Borg personal shields are body conforming is the potential key to how they would handle imparted momentum. The internal implants generate the personal shields, but theoritcally, all that would be needed to handle the momentum would be the shield imparting the momentum to the drone's outer body by virtue of physically contacting it before the implants are moved too much. For example, if the internal implants can safely move one inch, and the distance between the drone's outer body and personal body conforming shield is less than that, the drone would would handle imparted momentum like a wearer of a bullet proof vest. The exception being the energy shield in all likelyhood being far more reliable (ie: an energy field doesn't get dented or worn down aside from power supply/consumption).

One reason the Borg may not typically employ KE shielding could simply be due to Borg technology not being sophisticated enough to differentiate between hostile physical contact and normal interaction with panels, enemy personnel, etc. Thus, deploying KE shielding could cause more hassle than good.

We have seen modern Borg technology construct a drone which employed a KE shield (ref STVOY "Drone"), and all desperate claims the technology magically appeared out of nowhere aside, the most rational conclusion (IMHO) is that the technology base for KE shielding already existed. The drone One merely had the luxury of chosing whether to employ it or not.

That's my take on it anyhow.
Last edited by Robert Walper on 2004-08-29 01:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:
Actually, a far simplier explanation is that Species 8472 individuals are simply too strong for any type of Trek personal generated shield to stop. A badly injured (ie: almost dead) member of Species 8472 was able to tear right through Voyager's outer hull (which incidently also uses forcefields to aid in structural integrity). That same individual was also witnessed to physically punch right through a forcefield generated by ship's power and anchored to the ship's mass.

Claiming a Borg drone's personal shield generator could possibly compete with that kind of attack is setting the standard just a tad too high IMO.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:

Uh a 3 km sized starship made of super strong alloys is a lot tougher than a flesh drone. This is a no limits fallacy.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

This definitely requires a response:
Robert Walper wrote:Second, the assertion that imparted momentun would rip internal implants out or cause terminal internal damage is, IMO, a rather hasty conclusion. The fact that Borg personal shields are body conforming is the potential key to how they would handle imparted momentum. The internal implants generate the personal shields, but theoritcally, all that would be needed to handle the momentum would be the shield imparting the momentum to the drone's outer body by virtue of physically contacting it before the implants are moved too much. For example, if the internal implants can safely move one inch, and the distance between the drone's outer body and personal body conforming shield is less than that, the drone would would handle imparted momentum like a wearer of a bullet proof vest. The exception being the energy shield in all likelyhood being far more reliable (ie: an energy field doesn't get dented or worn down aside from power supply/consumption).
The only protection afforded by a bulletproof vest is against penetration of the impactor; the wearer still gets knocked on his ass and is almost never in any condition to simply get back on his feet again. Impact trauma still results in injury even if it is lesser than that of a bullet actually ripping through a body. Fragile things like microcircuit implants will not withstand a very sudden inertial change.

Furthermore, vests can be penetrated given enough fire directed against them; they do not confer invulnerability no matter what dopey bullshit Hollywood movies regularly depict, and they definitely won't protect the wearer against very large caliber, high-velocity rounds.. And as for the notion that an energy forcefield is "more reliable" than a physical barrier, a little thing called the Second Law of Thermodynamics is the first strike against it. Strike two is the finite energy supply of the drone, and strike three is collateral damage caused by multiple KE impacts interrupting power circuitry if fragile implants are affected. It wouldn't even be necessary to keep firing until total shield failure occurs; all that's necessary is that the shield "blinks" for just a second and you've got one very dead drone. Particularly if enough firepower is delivered at very high velocity. Something like this:

When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Two problem Rob..

You do understand why Kevlar works?

From your last long winded post, you still don't and then claiming that titanium or an energy shield would do better...against BULLETS?

You don't even fucking grasp how KE is imparting it's energy to the object, but go for the most dimwitted of answers.

The other problem that Degan so wonderfully pointed out about energy shielding. You do understand just because you want to give the Borg some super shielding that wasn't used and you yet to provide definitive proof for.

Same old bullshit, different packaging.

Read up on physics and understand that being hit by a physical object still fucking obeys a couple laws of physics and given the Borg have shown they are still affect by KE reactions and that a slugthrower is lot nastier to their fleshie hides then some poorly thought out upper EM Frequency band weapon.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Patrick Degan wrote:This definitely requires a response:
Robert Walper wrote:the drone would would handle imparted momentum like a wearer of a bullet proof vest.
The only protection afforded by a bulletproof vest is against penetration of the impactor; the wearer still gets knocked on his ass and is almost never in any condition to simply get back on his feet again. Impact trauma still results in injury even if it is lesser than that of a bullet actually ripping through a body. Fragile things like microcircuit implants will not withstand a very sudden inertial change.
First off, I'm not implying this theoritical KE shield would make the drone invulnerable to imparted momentum, or any KE attacks for that matter. I'm pointing out a KE shield could be easily practical in the Borg technology tree given it's known properties. Yes, the drone could still be knocked on it's ass by a high enough caliber weapon. But the point being KE shielding would stop penetration, like a bullet proof vest.

Additionally, while the shield itself stops the impactor, the typical leather armor would provide some additional padding protection I'd think. Coupled with Borg redundancy via their nanoprobes and above average mass, they could survive an attack far better than your typical soldier IMO.

Also, as an additional thought, bullets impacting a kevlar vest have a small area of effect, mainly due to the armor being deformed (correct me in this area if I'm mistaken). A energy shield on the other hand, will not "dent" or change shape. Thus, the shield maintains it's original form, which should spread out the imparted energy far better.
Furthermore, vests can be penetrated given enough fire directed against them; they do not confer invulnerability no matter what dopey bullshit Hollywood movies regularly depict, and they definitely won't protect the wearer against very large caliber, high-velocity rounds.
Agreed. I'm not suggesting a No Limits Fallacy for this hypothetical KE shield. It's obviously going to have limits. Even assuming the shield can stop high velocity impactors, there is still going to be significant damage. This is where one of the drone's advantages comes into play, regenerating damaged tissue and organs. Heck, Borg nanoprobes can revive a clinically dead body up to 73 hours old. If the KE shield stops the majority of physical damage via blowing holes in the drone, it's done it's job.
And as for the notion that an energy forcefield is "more reliable" than a physical barrier, a little thing called the Second Law of Thermodynamics is the first strike against it.
I presume you mean the power required to operate it? I don't see why Borg shield power generation couldn't equal the time a physical vest would hold up under equal assault, or surpass it for that matter. Power availability for Borg personal shielding I don't know.
Strike two is the finite energy supply of the drone,
Where are all these No Limits Fallacies coming from? Where have I suggested the shield could be powered indefinitely, or even for extremely long periods? That could be another reason said shielding is not typically employed, power consumption.
and strike three is collateral damage caused by multiple KE impacts interrupting power circuitry if fragile implants are affected.
Borg nanoprobes can survive exposure, using lower SDN calcs, to kiloton yield warheads, which is damn impressive considering nano sized machines should be eradicated by such exposure.

Why it must be assumed Borg implants are fragile items that cannot take any significant impacts or interia change is beyond me.
It wouldn't even be necessary to keep firing until total shield failure occurs; all that's necessary is that the shield "blinks" for just a second and you've got one very dead drone. Particularly if enough firepower is delivered at very high velocity. Something like this:

Not disputed. Where have I suggested this shield system would be perfect or infalliable? A vest is neither perfect nor infalliable, and yet they are still deployed. Why? They offer a degree of protection. Same with the KE shield system I've suggested might be possible.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Wow, a massive starship's shield generators can absorb the recoil imparted to them by a torpedo so a shield generator inside a body can. Brilliant Shirlock.
Actually, Trek shields of all kinds have consistently performed rather poorly against high-momentum impactors.

A ship will have a relatively easy time handling the impact of a photon torpedo because the ship out-masses the torpedo by several orders of magnitude. The same can't be said when a ship get's rammed by another ship or a massive object like an asteroid.

The question of whether a Borg drone could possibly adapt to physical weapons depends on the momentum of the projectile, the mass of the drone's shield generator, and how the shield generator is fixed to the drone's body. The shield generator itself has to be able to withstand the impact, as does its mooring mechanism and the Borg tissue in the vicinity.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Admiral_Handsome
Redshirt

Wow, a massive starship's shield generators can absorb the recoil imparted to them by a torpedo so a shield generator inside a body can. Brilliant Shirlock.
Odd that you read the words but do not comprehend them, and add an insult for good measure :roll: . If a borg ship can absorb the impact of several photon torpedoes (many megatons) without even the slightest vibration felt by those inside, than I can safely assume they must be able to absorb KE. Having said that, it would be no surprise to find the exact same tech miniaturized and put on a drone.

Don't believe its possible? Well remember that episode when Worf and Troi were stuck on that wild west holodeck program with the safeties off, and the computer made a holo figure of Data into the evil bad guy? At the end of that, Worf was forced into a shoot out by the holo Data. and guess what? Worf reconfigured his comm badge (I think?) to make a personal defense shield. Data fired his gun (which was an old revolver, you know the type, they are like small cannon with massive recoil) and Worf stood there completely still while the bullets bounced off. There is a perfect example of a KE absorbing shield for you. And since the Borg downloaded all the data on the Enterprise, they would have that tech (if they didn't already).

Repulsor shields are nothing new. Remember when Worf tried to rescue Picard when he was Locutus on the Borg ship? Worf ran towards Locutus but was thrown back onto the ground by a shield protecting him. The same shield could easily be used to deflect bullets.
Actually, a far simplier explanation is that Species 8472 individuals are simply too strong for any type of Trek personal generated shield to stop. A badly injured (ie: almost dead) member of Species 8472 was able to tear right through Voyager's outer hull (which incidently also uses forcefields to aid in structural integrity). That same individual was also witnessed to physically punch right through a forcefield generated by ship's power and anchored to the ship's mass.

Claiming a Borg drone's personal shield generator could possibly compete with that kind of attack is setting the standard just a tad too high IMO
They can tear through a ships hull? I don't remember that, but if its true then yes, your right that no borg shield would withstand an attack.

I am not suggesting that a Borg shield is merely an impenetrable barrier to the bullets. I'm saying that they have the tech to absorb KE and channel it elsewhere, just like dampening fields do.

A ship will have a relatively easy time handling the impact of a photon torpedo because the ship out-masses the torpedo by several orders of magnitude
No I'm talking about the case when the torpedo actually detonates, and doesn't just impact. If it detonates then the ships should feel the force.
As an example, think about the US tests when they detonated a small nuke in the middle of a fleet. The ships were thrown around like rag dolls, even though the ships out-massed the small nuke device.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Ted C wrote: A ship will have a relatively easy time handling the impact of a photon torpedo because the ship out-masses the torpedo by several orders of magnitude.
Not that I think I really need to point this out, but a drone outmasses a bullet by quite a bit too. Possibly alot more given the added mass of implants and mechanical attachments.
The question of whether a Borg drone could possibly adapt to physical weapons depends on the momentum of the projectile, the mass of the drone's shield generator, and how the shield generator is fixed to the drone's body. The shield generator itself has to be able to withstand the impact, as does its mooring mechanism and the Borg tissue in the vicinity.
I agree on all accounts, although I'd submit it seems inaccurate to utilize the term "adapt" to physical attacks. You'd think your shield either blocks solid objects or not.

Then again, forcefields have been seen to block specific types of matter. The shuttle bay doors allowing shuttles to pass while maintaining atmosphere containment comes to mind...
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:

Claiming a Borg drone's personal shield generator could possibly compete with that kind of attack is setting the standard just a tad too high IMO
They can tear through a ships hull? I don't remember that, but if its true then yes, your right that no borg shield would withstand an attack.
The afore mentioned example comes from STVOY "Prey".
I am not suggesting that a Borg shield is merely an impenetrable barrier to the bullets. I'm saying that they have the tech to absorb KE and channel it elsewhere, just like dampening fields do.
That's an interesting suggestion, although not by any means new. We know Federation technology (subspace fields) can "displace" mass, making an object effectively "lighter" relative to it's origanal state. Treknology might have the capablity to channel momentum in a similar manner(how the hell this would be done is beyond me, but then, so is mass lightening). This would go a long way towards explaining examples like how a hand phaser can hurl fully grown humanoids into the air while the individual firing the weapon doesn't even flinch (Star Trek III comes to mind).
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:Odd that you read the words but do not comprehend them, and add an insult for good measure :roll: . If a borg ship can absorb the impact of several photon torpedoes (many megatons) without even the slightest vibration felt by those inside, than I can safely assume they must be able to absorb KE. Having said that, it would be no surprise to find the exact same tech miniaturized and put on a drone.
I see you completely ignored the point of the rebuttal, moron. The fact that you can make something work on a large scale does not mean you can necessarily make it work on a small scale. By your imbecilic logic, the fact that US warships have fire-suppression systems must mean that US infantrymen do too, so they should be immune to napalm.
Don't believe its possible? Well remember that episode when Worf and Troi were stuck on that wild west holodeck program with the safeties off, and the computer made a holo figure of Data into the evil bad guy? At the end of that, Worf was forced into a shoot out by the holo Data. and guess what? Worf reconfigured his comm badge (I think?) to make a personal defense shield. Data fired his gun (which was an old revolver, you know the type, they are like small cannon with massive recoil) and Worf stood there completely still while the bullets bounced off. There is a perfect example of a KE absorbing shield for you. And since the Borg downloaded all the data on the Enterprise, they would have that tech (if they didn't already).
That thing only worked for a few shots, and then drained its power. Moreover, it was attached to a relatively large device, not microscopic internal implants. And that "small cannon" remark is just stupid. Given a fixed power output for their onboard systems, they can't throw in everything but the kitchen sink. It's pretty obvious that you've never designed anything in your life, hence the concept of design trade-offs is clearly foreign to you.
Repulsor shields are nothing new. Remember when Worf tried to rescue Picard when he was Locutus on the Borg ship? Worf ran towards Locutus but was thrown back onto the ground by a shield protecting him. The same shield could easily be used to deflect bullets.
Yeah, that would be really useful if this combat took place on a Borg ship :roll:
Did we actually see how they tore through the ship's hull? Because S8472's attack didn't cleave Ensign Kim in half, did it? And what about EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME A BORG DRONE HAS BEEN HIT WITH A PHYSICAL OBJECT WITHOUT A SHIELD BLOCKING THE IMPACT?
I love the way you're so hopelessly ignorant that you don't recognize that momentum and KE are different things.

Besides, even if you had proven your case, which you haven't, so what? We have the tech to do all sorts of things today, but that doesn't mean everything we can possibly do with our technology is found on the average infantryman. Your logic is flawed, to say the least.
A ship will have a relatively easy time handling the impact of a photon torpedo because the ship out-masses the torpedo by several orders of magnitude
No I'm talking about the case when the torpedo actually detonates, and doesn't just impact. If it detonates then the ships should feel the force.
As an example, think about the US tests when they detonated a small nuke in the middle of a fleet. The ships were thrown around like rag dolls, even though the ships out-massed the small nuke device.
What does that have to do with anything, moron? We're talking about momentum transfer in collisions, not fireball shockwaves.
Last edited by Darth Wong on 2004-08-29 01:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Robert Walper wrote: First off, I'm not implying this theoritical KE shield would make the drone invulnerable to imparted momentum, or any KE attacks for that matter. I'm pointing out a KE shield could be easily practical in the Borg technology tree given it's known properties. Yes, the drone could still be knocked on it's ass by a high enough caliber weapon. But the point being KE shielding would stop penetration, like a bullet proof vest.

Additionally, while the shield itself stops the impactor, the typical leather armor would provide some additional padding protection I'd think. Coupled with Borg redundancy via their nanoprobes and above average mass, they could survive an attack far better than your typical soldier IMO.

Also, as an additional thought, bullets impacting a kevlar vest have a small area of effect, mainly due to the armor being deformed (correct me in this area if I'm mistaken). A energy shield on the other hand, will not "dent" or change shape. Thus, the shield maintains it's original form, which should spread out the imparted energy far better.
Right, because Kelvar body armor keeps the person up?

In all that do you understand that it still KNOCKS the person on their ass because the KE imparted?

You're applying this theory the same way you did before.

You want a magical conclusion and you create false variable to build up to it.

Make a hypothesis and FIND PROOF to back it up...then come up with a conclusion.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting a No Limits Fallacy for this hypothetical KE shield. It's obviously going to have limits. Even assuming the shield can stop high velocity impactors, there is still going to be significant damage. This is where one of the drone's advantages comes into play, regenerating damaged tissue and organs. Heck, Borg nanoprobes can revive a clinically dead body up to 73 hours old. If the KE shield stops the majority of physical damage via blowing holes in the drone, it's done it's job.
Once again...it's aamazing the Borg never did this against a simple Tommy Gun...or were those two just defective drones?

I presume you mean the power required to operate it? I don't see why Borg shield power generation couldn't equal the time a physical vest would hold up under equal assault, or surpass it for that matter. Power availability for Borg personal shielding I don't know.
Nice to see because you don't know variable A...you assume it's powerful enough though.

This is at heart of the No limits fallacy.

Show something that has ever shown the Borg able to absordb the Kinetic Energy of a Bullet from something as small as a .38 cal.

Where are all these No Limits Fallacies coming from? Where have I suggested the shield could be powered indefinitely, or even for extremely long periods? That could be another reason said shielding is not typically employed, power consumption.
The FACT you can't show the strat up energy and you're assuming that it exists because they are the Borg.

Show proof that they have done so on an EQUAL LEVEL in the past before going off about how they should be able to

Borg nanoprobes can survive exposure, using lower SDN calcs, to kiloton yield warheads, which is damn impressive considering nano sized machines should be eradicated by such exposure.

Why it must be assumed Borg implants are fragile items that cannot take any significant impacts or interia change is beyond me.
Oh Fucking Vey...

Do THEIR FLESH bodies survive KT explosions?!

Not disputed. Where have I suggested this shield system would be perfect or infalliable? A vest is neither perfect nor infalliable, and yet they are still deployed. Why? They offer a degree of protection. Same with the KE shield system I've suggested might be possible.
No but you've avoidied any mention of a show of proof that such a mechanism exists on THAT level.

Literally you have done the same shit in the past.

Come up with a conclusion with little to no proof and keep saying "It's possible!"

It's possible that the World spins around the Moon and the Sun is bright light bulb...but without PROOF, this is nothing more then you wanking off to the Borg convincing only those that want to be convinced.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Borg have KE shielding? Unlikely. Here's some pictoral evidence(Thanks to Wayne Poe, of course.).

Alot of images! There are more, but I'm cutting this short(No pun intended) with a pile of dead Borg which failed to show KE shielding vs. claws.

Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter