Picard - general discussion [spoilers]

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Picard - general discussion [spoilers]

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-09-03 05:12am Think about what museums do when they restore a historical artifact. They don't improve it with modern advances, instead they try to make as close to what it was like in its day as possible. With the only exceptions being to comply with modern regulations, which probably don't do much to a ship intended to remain in a museum.

One you start talking about retrofitting the Enterprise with more modern tech, where do you stop ?

Because if someone had upgraded the Enterprise to the latest in Starfleet automation, that would mean including the very system that allowed the borg to take over the entire fleet.
Well Geordi had to have incorporated some modern advances for the Enterprise to be sufficiently automated to be able to be operated without the rest of the crew in the first place :lol: He did a better job of it than Scotty did with his jury-rigged efforts a century earlier. :mrgreen:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-09-03 12:12pm Well Geordi had to have incorporated some modern advances for the Enterprise to be sufficiently automated to be able to be operated without the rest of the crew in the first place :lol: He did a better job of it than Scotty did with his jury-rigged efforts a century earlier. :mrgreen:
Didn't he mention something about drones ?

So no modifications to the Enterprise itself, just drones to replace crew. And questions about the line between those drones and synthetics.
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-09-03 12:04pm
Yet it still had its complement of live photon torpedoes.
Weren't those the museums torpedos ?
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-09-03 12:35pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-09-03 12:12pm Well Geordi had to have incorporated some modern advances for the Enterprise to be sufficiently automated to be able to be operated without the rest of the crew in the first place :lol: He did a better job of it than Scotty did with his jury-rigged efforts a century earlier. :mrgreen:
Didn't he mention something about drones ?

So no modifications to the Enterprise itself, just drones to replace crew. And questions about the line between those drones and synthetics.
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-09-03 12:04pm
Yet it still had its complement of live photon torpedoes.
Weren't those the museums torpedos ?
This is all he said, basically they were handling cargo, no mention of who or what else was taking care of ship functions. And raises questions of why a museum would have torpedoes unless Geordi stockpiled them himself in case of this very situation.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The HMS Bounty had a functional, working Cloaking Device on it.

The other ships looked to be in excellent shape.

It's possible that ships in Starfleet Museums are brought up to full operational specs (including weapons load out). Possibly so visiting high-level brass can 'take them for a spin', or such.

Come on, if you were a Starfleet Admiral, wouldn't you go take an older, classic ship out for a joy-ride around the local star system if you go the chance?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-09-03 09:03pm
This is all he said, basically they were handling cargo, no mention of who or what else was taking care of ship functions. And raises questions of why a museum would have torpedoes unless Geordi stockpiled them himself in case of this very situation.
Your link it broken. Very broken.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Another possibility is that there's a stockpile of removed ordnance from ships put into the museum. essentially the ships come with their warheads and those are removed and stored and that's where Georgi took the torps from.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Or the museum is armed because it needs to be able to defend itself for long enough for help to arrive.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-09-04 12:22am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-09-03 09:03pm
Your link it broken. Very broken.
That's what I get for remembering too late that the YouTube tags don't work when the link has a particular time attached to it and changing halfway, the relevant line of dialogue takes place during the last 8 seconds. Hard to believe the Enterprise-D was last seen 30 years ago. :lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: It should have been this time :oops:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

We shouldn't ignore that there were times a single character operated the Enterprise-D in TNG.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-08-29 06:04am
His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-08-29 04:30am Yes a lot actually. I watched the entire thing over several days.
What are those points ?
Same ones brought up by myself and several others in the first few pages of this thread. The writers sucked and wrote themselves into a bunch of corners, then had to magic their way out of it with retarded plot contrivances. Plot & character development was shit, they spent half the first season doing side quests which did nothing to advance the plot, if what happened can even be called a plot because it was a disjointed pile of shit. There's also little to no audience connection to any of the main characters since they're all douchebags, cardboard cutouts, or token characters, be honest, would any of you really give a shit if Raffi, Jurati, or Elnor died?

Then we get the 2nd season where I checked out after a couple episodes, we got a whole new universe to fill out and explore, but let's do fucking Borg time travel, because reasons. Then we have the 3rd season which was pure fan service wankage. It's like "yeah we know we totally fucked up the first 2 seasons, so let's go blow some shit up and get the TNG crew back together". Nice visuals, but there's no depth to anything and I sure as hell ain't watching any of the episodes again.

Put it this way. I thought Voyager was pretty mediocre compared to TNG and DS9, but Picard makes Voyager look like DS9. The only reason I watched Picard for as long as I did was to see how bad it would get, and boy did it ever suck.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

aerius wrote: 2024-09-07 05:03pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2024-08-29 06:04am What are those points ?
Same ones brought up by myself and several others in the first few pages of this thread.
Thank you.

If I'm going to watch a review that long, it needs to be something that offers a new perspective.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-09-07 10:30pmThank you.

If I'm going to watch a review that long, it needs to be something that offers a new perspective.
There's probably a bunch of other stuff as well, I've only watched about an hour or so of the review (I skipped around a bunch). Which is about all I'm ever going to watch since I've seen more than enough of Picard and its associated shittyness for a lifetime.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P