Trek ship hull strength

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Robert Walper wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Barton wrote:S8472 beings’s bio-skin is the same material as S8472 Starship’s hull..
And?

You still need to get the appropriate leverage to rip the hull open.
A) Trek hull strength has been established by multiple examples.
B) Species 8472 strength has also been established by multiple examples.

The arguement of leverage is something we need to theorize on how it was accomplished, rather than dismissing the evidence of A and B because of it.

One suggestion was that Species 8472 may have gripped the hull via magnetic means. Perhaps more funky and unexplainable things go on, like Species 8472 anchoring itself in "subpace". Who knows?
My money was on it puncturing a hole along the joins between hull panels. Then just tearing it form there.

I was also getting at that unless 8472's skin his some funky acidic qualities, it doesn't make much of a difference in it's getting through the hull.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Barton
Redshirt

Post by Barton »

seanrobertson wrote:
Barton wrote: That particlar S8472 entity has the ability shake the ship.
(SNIP)

I share Jon's incredulity w/ your response. An Eight--a particular, "special" Eight no less--"shook" Voyager? :?

Frankly, that's the wildest story I've heard in months.
Voyager's Threshold episode was a shocker.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Barton wrote: Voyager's Threshold episode was a shocker.
That's a carefully chosen euphemism, "shocker" ;)

The thing is, I'm thankful to have not seen that episode in many years. When I talked about the "wildest [stories] I've heard in months," "Threshold" didn't qualify; it's much too old!

However, I first saw the "8472 creature shook Voyager" yarn only hours, not years, ago. Thus, the story safely falls within the timeframe I so specified :)

(Seriously, as Gandalf said, the creature itself didn't shake the ship. Explosive decompression from the thing tearing its way inside did.)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Barton
Redshirt

Post by Barton »

seanrobertson wrote:

The thing is, I'm thankful to have not seen that episode in many years. When I talked about the "wildest [stories] I've heard in months," "Threshold" didn't qualify; it's much too old!

However, I first saw the "8472 creature shook Voyager" yarn only hours, not years, ago. Thus, the story safely falls within the timeframe I so specified :)

(Seriously, as Gandalf said, the creature itself didn't shake the ship. Explosive decompression from the thing tearing its way inside did.)
In reference to http://www.uss-voyager.bravepages.com/ep84a.htm
The S8472 being didn’t mindlessly rip into any part of the hull i.e. it neared a leading edge section (around the access doors).
Barton
Redshirt

Post by Barton »

seanrobertson wrote:

Plasma conduit(1) explosion may give access to 8472 being.

Notes.
1. Seems not connected to main plasma network i.e. Kim says the plasma network is stable.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

nah that's just because he didn't want to have something explode on the bridge and then have to clean up the bits of nameless crewer....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin